Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need some advice on Infinity RS8s/RS5s/Ubid

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need some advice on Infinity RS8s/RS5s/Ubid

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-00, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay guys, here's my setup:
Onkyo 575
Infinity CC3 center
RS4 fronts
RS2 surrounds
BU120 subwoofer

What I'm looking to do is this: As soon as I get my hands on the cash, I would like to get a pair of RS8s or RS5s for my fronts and move my RS4s to the rears and then just ebay my RS2s. My system sounds pretty good right now but it'd be worth it to me if RS8s or RS5s are a noticeable improvement.

Main question is: I see the RS8s have a built-in 8" powered sub.....since I already have the 12" Infinity sub, would RS8s be okay? Pardon my ignorance but would it all work together? I'm hoping it would only add more bass and even the sound out.

Or would it be better to just go with RS5s? Which leads me to...since these are discontinued I might have to get whatever I can. I see some RS8s up on Ubid right now and some RS5s on Ebay. Does Ubid have these often enough? And how is Ubid to deal with and what do they charge for ground shipping on speakers like this??

Many thanks if you can help me out here.
Old 09-08-00, 09:38 PM

I have no experience with ubid but your system setup is similar to my own so here goes:

I don't think you need to spend the extra dough on built in subs that your system already covers(the LEFs would probably just cancel eachother out anyway)
and the RS5s are fine speakers

How much are you prepared to spend for a pair if I may pry?

Old 09-08-00, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for your input. I had wondered the same thing about the 8s and someone on another forum just mentioned the same thing...the built-in subs probably won't do much since I have the BU-120 already.

Basically my idea is just to get a little bit more kick-arse fronts with slightly more punch (and I think the RS5s would handily fit the bill). Plus then I can move my RS4s to the rears which I would think would give me more punch in the rears as well.

Uh as far as what I'd pay, I really don't know.....whatever it takes. I hate to be vague like that but I've heard of them going for super low prices like $150 a pair. In light of this I probably won't want to fork out much over $300 for a pair of RS5s before shipping, but it just depends. Hey if you have any ideas by all means let me know.
Old 09-09-00, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Update......found a pair of RS5s at Amazon's bargain site and I'm a happy camper now. Well at least in anticipation of receiving them.

[This message has been edited by Wolfchild (edited September 08, 2000).]