DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Good place to buy DTS Digital Coax Cable?

Old 09-04-00, 11:15 AM
Banned

Need cable to connect DTS. Circuit City wants $40 for 1m and $50 for 2m. Help, I'm cheap!;confused;
Old 09-04-00, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just buy a 75 ohm Composite video cable from a place like radio shack for around ten bucks. It's the same thing, it'll pass the same information as that 50 dollar monster cable. I've been using it with my DD setup and it works just fine.

------------------
Dave My DVDs My Humble Home Theatre
Old 09-04-00, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree...buy a good composite video cable....

Hey dfbennett...is it just me or do you get better sound...bass by using the coax over the optical connection??

[This message has been edited by djones6746 (edited September 04, 2000).]
Old 09-04-00, 01:47 PM

my question to you is: are you passing the signal to your tv or to a receiver. If to a receiver that supports DTS you should go with a digitial coaxial cable or optical. I chose digital coaxial because optical isnt as flexible and is prone to breakage. If you are passing signal to the TV normal audio RCA cable will work. If you are talking about video, that is another story.
Old 09-04-00, 01:52 PM

and to answer the question, I have yet to find a place for really cheap monster digital coaxial cables. I ended up paying i think 48 shipping and tax from soundpros.com(digital coax 2 m). They have good service and are really helpful if you have questions.

[This message has been edited by donnnster (edited September 04, 2000).]
Old 09-04-00, 02:14 PM

okay, get this straight:

a "Digital" Coax cable is exactly the same as a composite VIDEO cable, except branded DIGITAL and sold at a much higher price... Dont fool yourself, get a Video cable... I use one, works fine...

DONNNSTER: Like i said above, if you use a coax for a digital connection, oyu can just use a regular composite video cable and get the exact same result from a "DIGITAL" coax cable.

------------------
A NEW DIMENSION to MP3... Bring life to your stereo system, your computer speakers, your home theater system, any size, any amount of speakers, these high-bitrate MP3s will bring life to your system:

MP3FX - CLICK HERE

Check it out... No matter how good or bad your speakers are, this will give sounds you never thought yout $8 computer speaks could put out!
Old 09-04-00, 04:09 PM

I stand corrected....i cant believe i listened to them! oh well thanx for the new info.
Old 09-04-00, 09:13 PM

Just get the 75ohm cable at RAdio Shack which costs less the $10. Any other cable is just a waste of money to use for a digital coaxial cable.
Old 09-05-00, 12:09 PM
Banned

Thanks! By the way, I need this cable to go from my dvd player to my dts receiver. Do you still recommend the 75 ohm cable?
Old 09-05-00, 01:32 PM

Yes, use the 75ohm cable with gold ends from radio shack
Old 09-05-00, 02:58 PM

How can an analog cable pass digital signal, which is required for DTS decoding?
Old 09-05-00, 03:10 PM

The cable is simply transmitting the digital 1's and 0's from one device to another.
I believe it is incorrect ot say an "analog" device is being used to transmit a "digital" signal.
I'm sure you have lots of devices that use copper conductors to transmit digital information. Your PC is a great example.
Old 09-07-00, 07:39 PM

I got mine from www.onecall.com for around $18 I think. I got a Audioquest 75 ohm Digital Coax cable. Works great. Probably didn't need that much but it was originally $28 and the guy cut the price for me since I was buying it with my receiver.

------------------
Sony 32" Trinitron
Onkyo TX-DS575x
Pioneer DV-525
JBL Music1 mains, Phase Technology 1C center, Advent Baby II surrounds, Infinity BU-120 sub
Old 09-08-00, 05:30 PM

A great place to buy all of your audio/video interconnects and speaker wires is at http://www.accessories4less.com. This site constantly has specials on optical toslink digital cables as well as digital coaxial cable. But unless you have a $100K Mark Levinson system, you probably won't hear the difference between a digital cable and an analog cable. However, this place sells high quality interconnects for great prices.