Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Anyone know anything about turntables?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-10, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got a turntable with a built-in pre-amp. I plugged it into the aux line on my receiver, but I'm not getting any sound of out of the speakers. That should be it, right? I can't figure out why it's not working and it's driving me crazy.
Old 12-21-10, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: Anyone know anything about turntables?

you need two turntables and a microphone.
Old 12-21-10, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I just got a turntable with a built-in pre-amp. I plugged it into the aux line on my receiver, but I'm not getting any sound of out of the speakers. That should be it, right? I can't figure out why it's not working and it's driving me crazy.
Are you sure it has a built in pre-amp? What model is the turntable and are the RCA cords a part of the unit or does it have RCA jacks?

I can think of three things, either there is no pre-amp or it's not working, the needle is not working, or the pre-attached RCA cords, if applicable, are not functioning.
Old 12-21-10, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Some other things to check:
- that the cartridge is properly wired to the tonearm
- that you definitely have the correct input selected on the receiver
- that the gain setting on the turntable is not turned all the way down (it's unlikely that it has gain, but if it really has a built-in preamp it's a possibility)

Regardless of whether it has a built-in preamp or not, you ought to hear *something* when it is connected to aux and you have the volume turned up loud enough.

Is this a new or used turntable? What model is it? How do you know it has a built-in pre-amp? All of this info might help us solve your problem.
Old 12-21-10, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

You likely cannot plug it into the Aux input of the receiver (unless it really does have a pre-amp).

Have you tried plugging into the phono input of the receiver?

Agreed, what is the brand/model of the turntable.

I'm dating myself, but I seem to remember there were different type cartridges. And your pre-amp had to be matched to the type of cartridge. I had a little integrated amp that you swapped a little circuit board for the type of cartridge. But even with the incorrect type, I would think you would get something.
Old 12-22-10, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
You likely cannot plug it into the Aux input of the receiver (unless it really does have a pre-amp).

Have you tried plugging into the phono input of the receiver?
That's the first thing that occurred to me, too.
Old 12-22-10, 07:28 AM
Banned

I know that you play music with it, but you never, ever, ever try to make music with it. That's just noise.
Old 12-22-10, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I figured it out. The stylus cartridge had come slightly unseated but it was unnoticeable. I removed it and reseated it and it works fine now.
Old 12-22-10, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Glad you got it figured out!

Just to clarify a few items from this thread, for posterity's sake:

-- A turntable pre-amp applies the RIAA equalization curve and steps up the output. So, if you plug a turntable output directly into a line-level input on your receiver/amp with no pre-amp in between, you would typically get some sound, but it would be very quiet and would sound thin even if you turn up the amp volume.

-- There are two commonly-used types of cartridges, moving magnet and moving coil, and each type requires a different pre-amp (or a switchable pre-amp that supports both). There are exceptions (high-gain moving coil carts), but that's not worth getting into here.
Old 12-22-10, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
Glad you got it figured out!

Just to clarify a few items from this thread, for posterity's sake:

-- A turntable pre-amp applies the RIAA equalization curve and steps up the output. So, if you plug a turntable output directly into a line-level input on your receiver/amp with no pre-amp in between, you would typically get some sound, but it would be very quiet and would sound thin even if you turn up the amp volume.

-- There are two commonly-used types of cartridges, moving magnet and moving coil, and each type requires a different pre-amp (or a switchable pre-amp that supports both). There are exceptions (high-gain moving coil carts), but that's not worth getting into here.
No discussion on how a belt driven turntable often sounds better than a direct drive? Disappointing! LOL
Old 12-22-10, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
No discussion on how a belt driven turntable often sounds better than a direct drive? Disappointing! LOL
I tend to listen to the music instead of the machines. That ALWAYS sounds better. But to each their own.
Old 12-22-10, 07:44 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
I have a pre-amp that doesn't require switching between the two. It has a gain control.