DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Hahahha, I hate know it alls.....

Old 09-06-00, 09:11 AM

I was in Sears today and a couple guys walked in and started looking at TVs. Then one of guys starts saying "No No No, Wega TVs are no good. The picture quality sucks compared to this JVC." Heh, he was pointing at a POS 32" JVC on sale for $399. Then he goes on to say that the best way to output a picture from a dvd player is to go through a vcr and use a UHF coax cable. BLAHHH, I just wanted to walk up and punch em.

The really bad part of the whole situation was he had a Circuit City nametag.

Why can't we have any laws on restrictive breeding?

Joe
Old 09-06-00, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmmm Someone from Circut City that doesnt know his sh*t... Call the people at Guiness.

Old 09-06-00, 02:41 PM
Suspended

So, what you are saying is that unless someone knows every exact and specific detail about HT and HT setup they are an a**hole and should be made to feel inferior to all of the smart people like you?

Its exactly this type of attitude that keeps this site from becomming what it could be. People with only moderate knowledge, but still love HT and movies are made to feel inferior by jerks like you so they don't post and consequently don't get the assistance or knowledge they need. I would think that this type of thread would be shut down.
Old 09-06-00, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

quote:
Originally posted by tdamico:
So, what you are saying is that unless someone knows every exact and specific detail about HT and HT setup they are an a**hole and should be made to feel inferior to all of the smart people like you?

I don't pretend to speak for dfcc, but I disagree with your interpretation of what he's saying.

The only people he has a problem with are those who are clueless who pretend to have knowledge they clearly don't have. This is a fairly common trait among Circuit City employees, in my experience.

People who are just learning and are open to it are fine. Better than fine, even.

-S
Old 09-07-00, 01:09 AM

I am pretty sure bats would choose a WEGA picture over a $400 JVC (or any $400 tv for that matter).

Thank god we don't have CC here in Canada. But I imagine Future Shop is not much better.
Old 09-07-00, 07:38 AM

tdamico, did you care to read the thread title?

stevevt have it down straight! I wasn't trying to sound elitist, but rather saying people who pretend to "Know it all" suck!

Besides I'm not one to talk about being a know it all. I only got serious about my HT about a year ago. Before that I was just a avid fan.

Joe
Old 09-07-00, 11:02 AM
Suspended

Yes, I read the thread. And it seems to me that I saw the word "hate" in it. I re-read the post and I believe this person stated that he wanted to "punch" or actually assault someone because he disagreed with them. Do I agree with the person in the store? No. Was their information wrong? Yes. But...does the fact that I disagree with someone on dislike the way they are putting forth thier opinion, in this case in a private conversation to a friend, mean that I should hate them and want to beat them up and then ridicule them on a public forum? I don't think so.

I remember reading several postings from inviduals here over the last year or so, who asked perfectly reasonible questions only to get: DUH as part of the answer, or get condensendeding responses. And I am not the only one to notice. This has been posted before by others than me. It just seemed to me that this was a blatant thread meant to make ridiculous another person's opinions and attempting to get to me to validate their hatred. Way to heavy! I am out.
Old 09-07-00, 12:14 PM

$399 for a 32" JVC sounds like a good deal to me!
Old 09-07-00, 04:22 PM

Can I borrow that stick?