Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

LG BD590 or Panasonic DMP-BD85k??? Help!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-10, 02:31 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am brand new to this and I want to get my parents a Blu-Ray player for Christmas.

I have narrowed it down to these two based on reviews and the price. I know they would like the streaming Net Flix and YouTube and my Dad would probably dig the 250G on the LG to build a music library...

I just don't know. Any thoughts..I lean one way and then read another review and lean the other way..I'm kind of going crazy and just need to choose!!

I am interested in ease of use (for them) I will set it up, but once I'm gone they're on their own and not very tech savvy to say the least. (They had The Geek Squad come out to their house cuz the sound was funny...the wires in the back of the TV were loose..)

They love movies and my Pops digs the internet...if I can get it together for them, I think they will really love it.

They just bought a new Samsung 52" LCD...nothing 3D, they hate that kind of thing..just movies and TV with great picture and sound...

Thank you so much!
Old 12-01-10, 02:49 AM
Cool New Member

Re: LG BD590 or Panasonic DMP-BD85k??? Help!

Oh, also, which is better at upscaling and WiFi....seems like LG..I'm leaning LG...anyone?
Old 12-02-10, 04:13 AM
Cool New Member

anyone? Bueller?
Old 12-02-10, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're getting this impatient when you're asking a question at 3:30 in the morning? Really?

I've owned the Panasonic and can tell you it's a fantastic player. Very reliable and excellent quality.

I've never been a fan of LG. And Panasonic is a co-inventor of the Blu-ray format.
Old 12-02-10, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

I would go with the Panasonic. They are very reliable with firmware updates and make rock solid players. The video processing in the BD85 for standard DVD will be just fine for the TV your parents have.
Old 12-02-10, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

i don't own that model, but i own an older model of panasonic. it's played every single disc i've ever thrown at it with exception of sunshine. my father in law just bought the bd85k on my recommendation and i can't wait to hook it up. my next blu ray player will be a panasonic.
Old 12-02-10, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
You're getting this impatient when you're asking a question at 3:30 in the morning? Really?

I've owned the Panasonic and can tell you it's a fantastic player. Very reliable and excellent quality.

I've never been a fan of LG. And Panasonic is a co-inventor of the Blu-ray format.
All that rushing and not even a goddamn thank you????
Old 12-02-10, 06:45 PM

if you want the best netflix then go with the panasonic or the ps3.

Jacob
Old 12-03-10, 03:31 AM
Cool New Member

Thank you, Mr. Salty. Sorry if I seemed impatient. It was the next day and I hadn't hear d anything, not on here often enough to know how long it takes, I saw 57 views and no reply..I just feel time running out and it really is driving me a little crazy, but I really appreciate your response and will take it to heart.

I also get home from work around 2am. Then wind down and...bammo! Computer time!

I hear bad things about both companies customer service, streaming and the user interface on Panasonic, I want this to be as easy as possible for my folks, and for me who has to set it up and give them the primer on it!

Thanks again!
Old 12-03-10, 03:36 AM
Cool New Member

@kefrank: thanks

@Deftones: Appreciate it!

@Larry C: lol wow I didnt realize I was being so rude. I apologize, everyone! I really do appreciate the help a lot!

@Jacob: thank you

Well, looks like you guys made up my mind for me. LG it is!

jk

Also interested in a region hack code for the Panasonic, I see there's one for an earlier Panny model, wonder if this works for the BD85...hmmm...
Old 12-03-10, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think you need a hardware mod for BD region free. There are Pannys that have been modded, probably the previous generation.
Old 12-03-10, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joshmos
@kefrank: thanks

@Deftones: Appreciate it!

@Larry C: lol wow I didnt realize I was being so rude. I apologize, everyone! I really do appreciate the help a lot!

@Jacob: thank you

Well, looks like you guys made up my mind for me. LG it is!

jk

Also interested in a region hack code for the Panasonic, I see there's one for an earlier Panny model, wonder if this works for the BD85...hmmm...

We like to joke in these parts don't take it to heart.
Old 12-03-10, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiky
I think you need a hardware mod for BD region free.
+1

I'm almost certain the only way to make it region free is a hardware mod. Actually, I don't know of any BD players that can be made region free via firmware only, though I haven't really been paying close attention.
Old 12-03-10, 12:39 PM
Cool New Member

thanks again!
Old 12-03-10, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kefrank
+1

I'm almost certain the only way to make it region free is a hardware mod. Actually, I don't know of any BD players that can be made region free via firmware only, though I haven't really been paying close attention.
The Oppo BDP-83 was made region-free for Blu-ray with a firmware mod when it first came out, but subsequent firmware updates undid that. Everyone started using the hardware kits, which are impervious to firmware updates, so no one hacked the firmware again.

And I suspect that's why hardware mods are the way to go. Blu-ray players need a lot more firmware updates than DVD players did, and every update would break the hack. Rather than constantly chasing down hacked firmware, it's a whole lot easier to pop $40 for a mod kit.
Old 12-04-10, 02:58 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
it's a whole lot easier to pop $40 for a mod kit.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "mod kit" and where can I get one? And will it work for all models, such as the Panasonic mentioned above? Also, will I, as a tech novice be able to do it myself?

Thanks.
Old 12-04-10, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A mod kit is a piece of hardware you install inside the player to make it region-free. There are mod kits available for some models of Panasonic players, but I haven't seen one for the BD85 (not that I've looked very hard). Also, the mods for Panasonic players are a lot harder to install than the one for the Oppo players.
Old 12-04-10, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

My Panasonic DMP-BD55K has been going strong since 11/20/08 when I purchased it.