Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

going centerless

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-00, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this may be a little unheard of in this or any other ht forum but i've decided my system is going to go without a center channel speaker. My Infinity CC2's tweeter busted a while back and i've been without a center. Thats when i realized just how great my RS5s are and that that speaker just didn't fit well anyway. anyone think this is just weird and give me some reason why I should replace my center.

now the only thing left is to find out something to do with this extra sppeaker........
Old 09-06-00, 08:56 PM

Since up to 90% of the dialogue goes through the center channel, removing it altogether would not be a good idea unless you intend to use your television as your center channel. I have seen some bedroom hometheaters that do this, but your television's speakers are no where near the clarity level of your CC-2. Your best bet is to pick up another one, maybe even upgrade to the CC-3 or try one of the new Interlude Series.

------------------
DJ B SINISTER
Old 09-06-00, 09:05 PM

A center channel is not as important if your main speakers image properly. That is, if when you sit in your listening position and the dialoge sounds like it's coming from the screen then it is actually preferable to use just your main left and right speaker (center sound would be a perfect match to the mains).

The problem is that if the image isn't coming from the screen (speakers must be set up properly, you must stay in the sweet spot) then it can be distracting.

You could try the setup without a center channel, but chances are you'll probably want a center channel.
Old 09-06-00, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by AUDIO FREAK:
Since up to 90% of the dialogue goes through the center channel, removing it altogether would not be a good idea unless you intend to use your television as your center channel. I have seen some bedroom hometheaters that do this, but your television's speakers are no where near the clarity level of your CC-2. Your best bet is to pick up another one, maybe even upgrade to the CC-3 or try one of the new Interlude Series.

<HR>

Most receivers work w/o a center speaker. The divide the center channel between the two mains. If your speakers are fairly close together, and you're not off to the side, it sounds just fine.
Old 09-06-00, 10:45 PM

I went center-less to over the weekend. Now my HT is WAY louder than before. You REALLY have to have a good center to make it sound right( in my own opinion). I have way more bass and it still sounds like if i have a center. I use phantom sound setting on my reciever(I only have a Pro Logic).