DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Help me pick the best big screen from Amazon (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/58203-help-me-pick-best-big-screen-amazon.html)

steve miller 08-30-00 12:32 AM

My budget will be approx $1500 to $2000. I am clicking my way to that total. They have approx 12 in that price range. I have a home theater receiver already, and energy take 5 speakers.
Any help would be appreciated.

Dominus 08-31-00 02:33 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by steve miller:
My budget will be approx $1500 to $2000. I am clicking my way to that total. They have approx 12 in that price range. I have a home theater receiver already, and energy take 5 speakers.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your stepa should be as follows:

1. Delete Amazon from your bookmarks.

2. Go to a real (B&M) store and DEMO the friggin' TV's before you decide to drop 2k on one of them.

3. Realize that trying to make an educated decision about a TV when looking at a picture of it online is rediculous.

4. Send my 10% commission for saving you from all of the trouble you were about to get yourself into.

dfcc 08-31-00 10:58 AM

(rant ON)
Dominus, if you would have actually read his message he stated "I am clicking my way to that total." That means it will be FREE (or close to it).

That means unless those "real (B&M) store" accepts Amazon.com gift certificates, he must buy from Amazon.com! Is that so hard to understand?

btw: I don't know if you can tell, but I ordered a Toshiba CZ32V51 32" TV for $649 from Amazon.com last week for less than $8 out of pocket! You might not like saving money, but most people do!
(/rant OFF)

Joe http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by dfcc (edited August 31, 2000).]

Dominus 08-31-00 01:03 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dfcc:
(rant ON)
Dominus, if you would have actually read his message he stated "I am clicking my way to that total." That means it will be FREE (or close to it).

That means unless those "real (B&M) store" accepts Amazon.com gift certificates, he must buy from Amazon.com! Is that so hard to understand?

btw: I don't know if you can tell, but I ordered a Toshiba CZ32V51 32" TV for $649 from Amazon.com last week for less than $8 out of pocket! You might not like saving money, but most people do!
(/rant OFF)

Joe http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Regardless of where you ultimately buy the TV, it seems to me that anyone in their right mind would go demo it at a B&M store before they buy it.

repstein 08-31-00 06:28 PM

For about 2K you can get the Sony WEGA XBR400. I think oade will deliver for that. You can't get any better for that price.

++Russ

steve miller 09-01-00 01:05 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dominus:
Your stepa should be as follows:

1. Delete Amazon from your bookmarks.

2. Go to a real (B&M) store and DEMO the friggin' TV's before you decide to drop 2k on one of them.

3. Realize that trying to make an educated decision about a TV when looking at a picture of it online is rediculous.

4. Send my 10% commission for saving you from all of the trouble you were about to get yourself into.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess I need to revise my post to "any POSITIVE help would be appreciated."

If you had taken the time to read the post you would have realized what others picked up when they read my post.

I will get this TV with no out of pocket cash!!!
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dominus:
"Regardless of where you ultimately buy the TV, it seems to me that anyone in their right mind would go demo it at a B&M store before they buy it."[B]

As for your second post , What makes you think I would purchase with out doing my homework? I am in the process of deciding what to buy. My first step was to gather opinions from people who frequent this board that could offer some EXPERT opinions. I would then take those opinions along with any other research I do prior to going to a B&M store to make my final decision before ordering from AMAZON which BTW is offering free shipping on TVs.

Sorry you had to waste your VALUEABLE post #12 on this subject but you opinions were not appreciated or needed.

Master J 09-01-00 04:01 AM

Thats alot of clicking to get to 2000 dollars, but I would recommend the Sony Wegas if they still carry them. The XBRs have component inputs will do the anamorphic squeeze. For items such as TVs I recommend not buying online do to the inherant risks and the possibility of a defective unit, but Amazon is pretty good with customer service so you won't have too much to worry about.

J

------------------
Don't be a luddy-duddy! Don't be a mooncalf! Don't be a jabbernowl!

jdb 09-01-00 01:11 PM

Does the "clicking" stop at the RPTV or do you have the stamina to click your way to any scalers, line doublers, etc.?

What about the cost of bringing in an ISF guy to calibrate the unit? Or you plan on watching right out of the box?

You dont mention a general or desired sreen size. So, in guessing...

The Tosh line might be your best bet for that price range without adding any outboard processing.

This is NOT an expert opinon, jdb

------------------
Flame suit not required
Peabody Theatre

koobird 09-03-00 06:31 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by steve miller:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lucky you.

how in the world did you get that much in GC's?

steve miller 09-03-00 07:52 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by koobird:
lucky you.

how in the world did you get that much in GC's?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doing jaboom, ECHO and freeride. I built a computer with the proceeds about 6 weeks ago
PIII 667 128 megs ram, zip drive, Voodoo 3 AGP, 20 Gig hard drive and have now started saving for the Big Screen and have over $1000 already.

Although JABOOM's recent changes will slow my progress.

d-rell 09-05-00 03:52 AM

Now that Jaboom is changing, It will take a lot longer! I was trying to do the same thing, with the same goal in mind (a big screen) Now it looks like it will take just too long.

I did manage a SB live Platinum and DTT2500 though.