DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Need HT speakers for my bedroom...any advice (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/58189-need-ht-speakers-my-bedroom-any-advice.html)

John Sinnott 09-04-00 06:27 PM

Well, I'm need to upgrade the system in my bedroom. I'm looking to purchase a receiver and speakers (5 plus a sub.) I can spend around $2000 for the whole shabang.

The receiver and stereo speaker currently in the room are to be moved to another location, so I'm starting from scratch.

I'm mainly looking for advice on speakers, though reciever suggestions would be appreciated. One the reciever side, I have a S-VHS, DSS, and DVD player to hook up to it via S-video. Component is not a nessesity (and would blow my budget anyway.)

Just for referance, in my living room, I currently have (and I'm happy with):

Receiver: Sony DB-930
Front: Polk RT55's (sounded better than the floor standing equivalent in my house.)
Center: Polk CS400
Surround: Polk RT500's
Sub: Polk PSW650

As you can tell, I like Polk's, but would like to avoid Bose, and Infinity. Just about anything else is fair game. I've also had a lot of problems with JVC compontents over the years, and would not purchase another one.

Other consideration: smaller is easier to sell to the wife. We already have a king size, four poster canopy bed in the room, so large floor standing speakers are not as palitable to her as small bookshelfs.

I was thinking of the Polk RM7500 system, but I don't like the idea of buying a system in a box, and, more importantly, I have not been able to hear it. Was also looking at AR and NHT.

Any reccomendations woudl be greatly appreciated.

-Videophile

[This message has been edited by videophile (edited September 04, 2000).]

bassethound 09-04-00 10:35 PM

i am very pleased with my NHT SuperOnes(2), SuperCenter, and SuperZeros(2). Am currently looking at subs. but the NHT's are wonderful. i recommend previewing NHT's if you can...they are worth it!

Basset

audrey 09-05-00 12:21 AM

A few quick comments. I heard the Polk 7500's last year at the Chicago HT show in the Polk room. While the venue did not offer the best listening conditions, I was impressed with the bang for the buck. And of course the speakers are small--just the right size for a bedroom. Perfect Vision (could have been SGHT) ran a favorable review on these a few issues back.

Also worth a listen in the small category is the Gallo Nucleus (also a recent review in Perfect Vision. Not the last word in transparency, the highs are a bit rolled off, but overall they sound very good; dynamic, lively sound. And they are TINY—The Polk and Super Zero’s are large by comparison .). I came close to buying these (mainly for the size), but decided I wanted something with more air on top.

As bassethound mentioned, the NHT Super family are very good; I'm using a combination of Super Zero's & VT1.2 with a HSU 1220 sub. The downside to the NHT's is that they are hard to drive and can sound harsh when not mated to appropriate electronics.

You might also give the PSB Alpha’s a listen.