Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Which LED tv should I buy,Sharp or Samsung?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-10, 11:32 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at buying a 46" LED TV in the next few weeks (non 3D). Hearing lots of pro's and con's regarding Sharp and Samsung. Just wondering if you folks here could give me some insight?

Also looking a getting a Blu Ray player as well. For the price, might go with the PS3.
Old 10-20-10, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Which LED tv should I buy,Sharp or Samsung?

Which one looks best to your eye when you view demo material you are familair with?

That is the one you should buy
Old 10-20-10, 07:25 AM

If you've got any intention of playing PAL discs or 1080/50 BluRays, I'd go with the Sharp, as you can play both formats back without any type of 'standards conversion' on the Sharps (assuming your player can output native signals), but not so with the Samsungs.

By the same token, if you are looking at playing back foreign discs (i.e. British TV shows), you should steer away from the PS3, as it's known to be incompatible with 50hz BluRays.

Are you dead-set on LED, though, as opposed to standard LCDs? I just bought a 60" Sharp LCD (LC60E88UN) and its picture was just as nice (if not better) than the more expensive LED sets I looked at.
Old 10-20-10, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

LED is only the backlight in current TVs, they are still LCD for the panel. And Edgelit LEDs are basically no better than "regular" CCFL LCD models, except they might last longer. The more advanced, and expensive, LED models with some form of direct lighting capability should be able to offer better contrast and black levels than either edgelit LED or CCFL models. Then it depends on the tech behind the LED control.
Old 10-20-10, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
LED is only the backlight in current TVs, they are still LCD for the panel. And Edgelit LEDs are basically no better than "regular" CCFL LCD models
That's what I was saying, but guess I could've been more specific about both being LCDs, just that they were using different lighting systems.

To my way of thinking, CCFL is a "mature" product (meaning that in a good way) while edge-lit LED sets are still in the 'getting the bugs worked out' stage. And they cost more.
Old 10-20-10, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know, it's weird when people actually agree in an online forum!
Old 10-21-10, 05:27 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN46C6...7700016&sr=8-1

I got that in July to replace my 4 year old Sony LCD that had a blue blur over it. I love the tv
Old 10-22-10, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spiky
LED is only the backlight in current TVs, they are still LCD for the panel. And Edgelit LEDs are basically no better than "regular" CCFL LCD models, except they might last longer. The more advanced, and expensive, LED models with some form of direct lighting capability should be able to offer better contrast and black levels than either edgelit LED or CCFL models. Then it depends on the tech behind the LED control.
the new LED models have better CPU's inside the TV which give a much better picture. depending on the HD signal it can look extremely lifelike.

my inlaws just bought a LG 47" LED TV. only complaint i had was it wouldn't work with the wireless router for a little while until an update came out for the TV
Old 07-10-11, 01:23 PM

Also trying to choose between Sharp and Samsung, any additional thoughts on the issue?
Old 07-11-11, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got the Samsung LED 40 inch because it was so much lighter, thinner and had a great picture. My older HDTV is a Sony Bravia but a 32 inch is still working fine after 5 years.
Old 07-11-11, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Very happy with my Samsung UN55D8000.