DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

stupid sub question

Old 08-31-00, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i only have a puny cambridge soundworks passive sub and i looking at a 10" 150 watt sub.. now on the sub i have now all the speaker wires come out of the reciever and into the sub and then to the speakers...will it be any different to hook up a powered sub? besides plugging it in? thanks, tom

is a 10" 150watt a good size?

[This message has been edited by namrufmot (edited August 31, 2000).]
Old 09-01-00, 04:37 AM

I have a powered sub and you can still hook up other speakers to it just like a regular passive sub.
Old 09-01-00, 12:19 PM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now you are going to get yourself confused....

You need to think about bass management. The way I set my equipment up is to set all my speakers to "small", feed all the low bass information to the sub, and bypass the sub's crossover.

This will simplify you conenctions greatly. Of course, if you have full size tower speakers, you may want to connect to the sub first, but the best bet is to experiment. Again, I find being able to set things up with bypassing the subs crossover greatly simplifies my connections.

On another note, I have a Definitive Technology Pf15TL sub. It has a 15 inch driver and 325 watt amplifier. I recommended it to a good friend who added it to his Cambridge setup and it blended quite nicely......