DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Limited Basic Cable and HDTV.. is there a box?? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/579937-limited-basic-cable-hdtv-there-box.html)

tc5998 09-28-10 06:11 PM

Limited Basic Cable and HDTV.. is there a box??

So for financial reasons my wife and I have had to cancel our cable tv subscription. We are with Comcast. When I called to do so I was told that the Cable company would throw in limited basic (channels 2-31) for free with my internet subscription. Since I was keeping internet service I said OK.

I asked about receiving the local affiliates HD channels that you can get via antenna since the only TVs we have in the house are HDTVs. She said I would need to pay an additional $8/month for one of their HD boxes. I said, "isn't there a box I can buy at a local retailer that will pick these HD channels up off of your cable for me without having to rent your box?" She seemed to think I was right that there was.... but now after some online searching I'm not sure I was... Is there a box I can plug my limited basic coaxial cable into that I can buy at Best Buy for under 50 bucks that will let me get local HD channels via Comcast's coaxial/limited basic service? Or am I stuck with their box for HD stuff?

An alternative would be to skip Comcast's tv service all together and go get an HD TV antenna...

JustinCleveland 09-28-10 06:36 PM

Re: Limited Basic Cable and HDTV.. is there a box??

Check to see if your TV has a QAM tuner. You might get them already.

JZ1276 09-28-10 08:35 PM

Plug the cable line to the back of your TV. Thats all.

Spiky 09-28-10 10:26 PM

BTW, those guys are both saying the same thing.

If that wasn't apparent.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 09-29-10 10:03 AM

If that doesn't work, there is a box. Remember when the FCC was handing out $50 coupons when stations moved to HD? That's what you needed to get.

Spiky 09-29-10 02:42 PM

Well, that box is for people with SDTVs, not HDTVs. Presumably HDTVs all have tuners, now. Some didn't, from many years ago.

I still have my box, unopened.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 09-29-10 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky (Post 10400917)
Well, that box is for people with SDTVs, not HDTVs. Presumably HDTVs all have tuners, now. Some didn't, from many years ago.

I still have my box, unopened.

Most of them now do but back in the day, most didn't. Only half of my sets have them.

obzhagen 11-06-10 02:14 PM

Cable companies are required to pass through the digital signal of the local affiliates that they carry. If you plug the coax cable directly into your HDTV, those digital channels will show up on their actual digital channel (ie, our Fox Station's HD channel shows up as 61.1, even though the SD signal is usually on Channel 5). You shouldn't have to do anything else! This is the set-up that I have at my house.