DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Symptoms of a Center Channel Speaker going south....??? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/57962-symptoms-center-channel-speaker-going-south.html)

JLB 08-30-00 11:29 AM

Hi all,

Maybe it is just the fact that my ear is getting much more refined in the year since I have had my home theater and dvd player, but it seems to me that maybe my center channel speaker is not up to snuff these days.

I have a Definitive Tech C1 (or is it the C2, I forget, no amp onboard though) center.

What I am noticing is this, in scenes with a lot of "sound" such as explosions and sometimes lower voices I hear....and I'm not sure how to voice this.....less overall clarity than I am used to.

Almost like a tad bit of distortion, for lack of better words. On quieter passages or less agressive passages, everything seems fine.

I checked the wire connections on the speaker and that is fine. I haven't reached behind my spaghetti mess to check the connection on the receiver yet.

I just don't know if I am just getting nitpicky these days or if my speaker is getting ready to go(again, it sound great 90% of the time, and a bit less than great the other 5%).

Please respond with other symptoms to look/listen for and possible movie passages that you know are agressive but sound very clean (such as SPR DTS, etc....) for testing.

I hesitated making this post as I may not be making myself very clear, or may be making a mountain out of a mole hill, which in the end could get me stressed out over nothing based on what you folks have to say, but I would like to know what you think....

And I can try and explain more if you have specific questions.....

Thanks ahead of time, as always.....

JLB 08-30-00 02:12 PM

My other thought is maybe that the center channel amp is starting to go. This would probably make more sense as passive speakers usually work or don't work and don't slowly stop working.

I'd rather not have to pull out the receiver and unhook everything, but I think I amstill just under warranty adn wouldn't mind having it looked at before the warranty expires.....

Oh, what to do......

mjlukich 08-30-00 02:31 PM

Since your receiver is still under warranty it might be a good idea to take it in and have it checked out.

------------------
-Michael
My List

daledude 08-30-00 04:44 PM

Put the receiver in Pro-logic mode while listening to music. Try disconnecting the main front speakers and play something thru the center channel alone.

If it is making the noises you talk about, swap one of the front speakers with the center. You should be able to determine if it's the center speaker or center amp that is the problem.

If it's the amp, get it fixed under warranty. If it's the speaker then you may need to upgrade. If the speaker sounds o.k. at lower levels, it may not be able to play as loudly as you like and your only choice is to upgrade.