DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Stacking components

Old 08-30-00, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I currently have my DVD player directly on top of my receiver, and was wondering if anybody had any suggestions as to another way I could set these items up. The only space between the two is about 1/2" due to the DVD player's feet.

I really don't have another option besides for having one on top of the other, and the receiver is slightly larger, and considerably heavier than the DVD player, so I think it needs to be on the bottom. However, the receiver is the primary source of heat, and I have found that the DVD player sometimes will not respond to the remote or even the panel buttons-- I believe it is freezing up due to excessive heat from the receiver after using it with the television for several hours.

I have both sitting on a stand, not much bigger than the receiver itself. Is there any place that sells spacers to place between the two units? Anybody have any suggestions? Perhaps a cheap and small (both important things here) A/V rack? It seems that in any case, the heat from the receiver will rise and will heat up anything above it, whether that is a stand holding the DVD player above or the DVD player itself.
Thanks.
Old 08-30-00, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Try putting the receiver on top of the dvd player. As long as all the feet have contact, I wouldn't worry about the weight.

You didn't mention if these components are in a closed-in space or not. If they're not, the arrangement I recommended should be fine. If they are, you might consider buying a small fan.

-S
Old 08-30-00, 02:59 PM

Heat shortens the life of solid state components. You really should put the receiver at the top of the stack.

Unless the receiver is very heavy (over 20lbs) it shouldn't hurt the dvd player as long as all four feet are supporting the weight.

If you really want to keep the current stack order, buy a small fan to blow the hot air away for the receiver/dvd player. If the receiver has extra swithced power outlets the fan will turn on any time the receiver is turned on.
Old 08-30-00, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I will try it with the receiver on top. Kenwood VR-407 is 19 lbs, not really heavy, but not really light. If there are any other suggestions, please post them here. Thanks.