DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

How do I use banana plugs on Marantz SR-7000

Old 08-28-00, 11:57 AM

How do I access the "hole" for banana plugs in the center of the binding posts on a Marantz SR-7000? There is a recessed black cap blocking where a banana plug should go in the middle of the binding posts, but I cannot figure out how to remove it. The post cap does not screw off all the way, further complicating manners. Does this reciver accept bananas, or do I have to go with bare wire/spades?

Thanks!
Old 08-28-00, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It sounds to me like you can't use bananas on this receiver.

This probably has something to do with European safety standards (which banana connectors do not meet), and Marantz making identical models for the US and Europe.

I'm not sure if it's possible in your case, but this is the exact kind of question I'd ask my dealer (or the person who sold it to me).

-S
Old 08-28-00, 05:43 PM
uhh, Clem?

I read in several places that you can drill a small hole in the plastic cap, screw in a screw, and pull off the cap. I'm not sure this was stated about the 7000, but I believe it was about the 8000. Is there any difference in the caps?

Having not done this myself, I would say do the research yourself. Probably AudioReview or HTF would have the technique better spelled out.

Old 08-28-00, 11:38 PM

Clem is right. I have the 8000 and asked the guys at the store I bought it from, they told me you could usually take a small screwdriver and pop them out, or occasionally you might have to drill a hole in them and pull them out. Apparently, in Europe, the speaker posts are an exact fit for their power cords, so they are trying to prevent some moron from plugging a power source into the receiver. I'm sorry but if you're that stupid, you deserve to pay a penalty. BTW, I haven't tried it yet, I hooked mine up the conventional way, and it just hasn't been worth it to pull it back out again.
Old 08-29-00, 01:04 PM

thanks everyone. I got 'em out!
Old 10-22-13, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Re: How do I use banana plugs on Marantz SR-7000

Ok, I'm resurrecting an absolutely ancient thread, but this answered my exact question! Thanks!

Headed to find a screwdriver to pop those suckers out.