DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Decent starter speakers for HT AND music?

Old 08-22-00, 07:29 AM

I'm moving into a new apartment and I would like to buy some new hardware to come with me. I am brand new to home theater but I am really into music, so I need a setup that will function well for both functions.

I'm looking at the Pioneer HTP-209 system at Costco ($389) but will probably want to immediately replace the main speakers with something more music-friendly. Can anyone recommend a pair of speakers that might fit the bill for rock, jazz, classical music as well as HT, as well as how I might be able to find some BARGAINS on them? My price range is about $300-600 for the pair.

Or perhaps a better option would be to not even bother with the Pioneer package, buy a decent receiver for less money, some good main speakers, and some lower-budget rear and center speakers?

Let me know what you think. Thanks.
Old 08-22-00, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would reccommend the Toshiba SD 6109C. It is a DVD player/Receiver. It has built in DD/DTS and 55 watts per channel.

For speakers I would go with some Paradigms. Maybe some Mini Monitors for the fronts since you are more concerned with music. Or you could get 3 pairs of Atoms which are great speakers for the money, but wont give you as much bass output. I would still reccommend you listen before you buy though.

Cost:
Toshiba SD6109C=$275-350
Paradigm Mini Monitors=$325-350 pair
Paradigm Atoms=$125-175 pair

Old 08-22-00, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Don't forget the subwoofer! OH wait, you live in an apartment right?
Old 08-22-00, 12:21 PM

If you're going to buy new main speakers, you probably would want to go ahead and get a good center channel to match. The Paradigm Mini's are good speakers for about $300, and you can get the matching center channel for another $300.

Go to your local audio shop and ask to hear speakers in your price range. If you buy your speakers at a local dealer, he may give you a good deal on a receiver and surrounds.
Old 08-23-00, 12:32 AM
Banned

KLH 238 @ $200 a pair are a great value and sound better than more expensive models
Old 08-23-00, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Look at the B&W 602 Series 2. They should be in your price range (toward the upper end). They are amazing. By far the best small bookshelf speakers I've ever heard. (6.5" woofer, 1" dome tweeter, ported enclosure)
For HT, you will definitely want to couple them with a sub.

BTW, they're only going to be available at higher end audio shops (no Circuit City/Best Buy)

Happy shopping!

------------------
Whadda you say, honey? Feeling stupid? I know I am! -Homer Simpson, American Hero
DVDs..... Is there anything they can't do?

[This message has been edited by edclem (edited August 22, 2000).]
Old 08-23-00, 02:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by edclem:
Look at the B&W 602 Series 2. They should be in your price range (toward the upper end). They are amazing. By far the best small bookshelf speakers I've ever heard. (6.5" woofer, 1" dome tweeter, ported enclosure)
For HT, you will definitely want to couple them with a sub.

What's HT?
Old 08-23-00, 02:49 AM

I recommend the speakers found here:
http://www.indexhome.com/AudioVideo/...elody_main.asp

The Melody 3's sound amazing and if you call or e-mail them, they will negotiate with you and come down in price. I have a whole set for my HT, and also use them for music, in fact, the same music you mentioned.

Its the most speaker for the money I've ever seen and you can't beat them for the money. IMHO the compare favorably to speakers that cost 2 to 3 x's as much

------------------
"...that gum you like is going to come back in style"
Old 08-23-00, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only reason to go with HT in a box is if you intend to use the entire package. Otherwise you're paying for items not used. Besides, if you only replace the FR, you will no longer have a matching center.

I would either go with a solution like the one suggested by jumbojp, or find a HT in a box you like and can live with.

Old 08-23-00, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:
Originally posted by koobird:
What's HT?

Home Theater

------------------
Whadda you say, honey? Feeling stupid? I know I am! -Homer Simpson, American Hero
DVDs..... Is there anything they can't do?
Old 08-27-00, 04:34 PM

Here's what I ended up doing.
Since I wanted higher-quality speakers than those that came with the Pioneer HTIB, I bought the CSW MovieWorks 308 along with the JVC XV778VBK receiver (packaged together, refurbished $399.99 from hifi.com via eBay). I dug up some other deals on JVC components so I can take advantage of the A/V compulink features. Thanks for the input, I decided to go a little lower budget and I can upgrade in a couple years.
Old 08-28-00, 01:54 PM
AW

PSB Alpha AVs (about $150/pair from Sound City). These are wonderful speakers at an extremely modest cost.