DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

More XBR400 questions (in the market for one)...

Old 08-25-00, 01:26 AM

Am still in the market for the new XBR400, I'm a little bit concerned though about the feedback I'm reading about the graininess of the picture when watching regular TV broadcasts using regular cable TV. From what i understand, this is because of the line doubler that makes the XBR400s HD-TV ready, and this affects the clarity of the picture displayed. While in the store, I kinda feel that the regular Wegas FS and FVs seem to have better /clearer TV broadcast stations (not the case for dvds).

So, my question are the following:
1) Being a newbie, is it just me, or are the cheaper Wegas (FS and FV series) have better picture quality when it comes to regular TV broadcasts (non-HDTV which is the majority of the channels at the moment) compared to the XBR400s?

2) Does the 32" XBR400 have better picture quality than the 36" XBR400 when displaying regular TV broadcasts? I've only seen the 36" XBR400, and am assuming that since the 32" has a bit smaller display, the graininess wouldn't be as much?

3) Isn't there a feature to turn off the line doubler? And just turn it back on when playing dvds and/or HDTV signals. Instead of displaying 1080 lines, is there an setup option that would display only 480 lines? It just seems difficult to justify to the wife buying a $2000+ set when a $1000+ set seem clearer (albeit for now).

4) With regards to the PIP option, can it to the normal PIP screen over screen which can be repositioned? Or is it just limited to twin view side by side? I know the regular Wegas have normal PIP.

5) I heard the wireless headphones are no longer included. How much are they if we buy them separately? For anyone who has used them before, are they good headphones? no hiss?

Sorry for asking too many questions, but this is a very big plunge for us. And for a newbie like me, these are stressful times :-|

Thanks!!!
Old 08-26-00, 01:55 AM
ed

Can't really answer your questions since I have never seen the sets you mentioned, but during the past two days I've been researching the Sony XBR400 and the Toshiba TW40X81. I found a good deal of information over at the Home Theater Forum. Just type "XBR400" into the search engine and you'll pull up an abundance of information on this set. Here's the link:

Home Theater Forum - TV and Projector Forum