Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Optoma HD70 HDMI issue. All of a sudden. Ideas?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-10, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

All of a sudden I can't seem to get an HDMI image on my Optoma HD70. Ideas? Suggestions? Big issue now as I've started a FW upgrade on PS3.

So I picked up The Terminator on BD, used. Was watching with son (who had never watched before). All was find, but then every few minutes it would seem to lose the signal and than come back. But then it lost it and didn't come back. I stopped the movie and noticed a message from Sony that it was time for a FW upgrade. So I started that. Well of course now I have lost the signal again, and can't get it back.

I've tried several sources and can't get anything on HDMI. I tried going "direct" by bypassing my Monoprice HDMI switcher and no go.

I hooked my Dish receiver vis S-video and I do get a signal, no problem. So it appears to be a HDMI issue. I've tried turning off and on the projector and that doesn't help. I've even removed the HDMI wall plate I was using and tried plugging the HDMI cable from the projector directly into something and still, no go.

Lamp has about 1500 hours on it, so no issue there. I run the lamp in low.

I got two concerns, 1) the projector. I didn't want replace just yet. I was hoping to get to spring of next year and go 1080p. 2) the PS3. It is doing it's FW update, but I can't see an image to help it or see where it is out. And I know I don't want to power it down till complete.

Suggestions? Ideas?
Old 08-06-10, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Optoma HD70 HDMI issue. All of a sudden. Ideas?

OMG....I found one of our laptops that has an HDMI output. I unplugged the HDMI cable I'm using and used a different HDMI cable from projector to laptop. It fired right up!

So, trouble shooting wise it appears to be the cable! WTF!! How many times does a HDMI cable go out? And it is a Monoprice CL2 rated (in wall) cable. It is a 15-20 foot cable running up in my attic. Wonder if some critter got in there and ate the damn thing?

Course it could be something as simple as a loose connection. But I unplugged and replugged everything several times before trying laptop....aghhh....

EDIT: Well damn...guess it was a lose connection at the projector. WTF? I unplugged and replugged 4-5 times as my 1st step in trouble shooting....oh well. Least it is working and don't have to order a new cable and rewire in the attic....

Edit, Edit: Seems issue isn't over. After confirming everything worked and reconnecting everything and having it work for a bit, back to losing the signal on HDMI....crap....seems to go 15 minutes or so and then loses the signal. Guess will have to order a new cable to see if that eliminates it (I don't have another long cable to try and can't hook a short one up to try due to ceiling mount).

Last edited by Sdallnct; 08-06-10 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-06-10, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You aren't the first. In fact, haven't you dispensed advice saying cables can go bad? You should be able to pull the new cable with the old one, yes?
Old 08-07-10, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well I'm in the camp of cable make a difference. Both audio and video. Not so much that they go out.

I got this Monoprice cable 2.5-3 years ago with my new PJ. Seems I had a shadow/interference of sorts using shielded coaxial cable (used as component) with screw on RCA plugs. I narrowed it down to the cable and replaced with this monoprice CL2 rated HDMI. No troubles since.

Now one issue I might be having is that I got pretty heavy thick cable and it is really stiff. I'm wondering if the hole I have in the ceiling is to close to the projector and to much of a bend/angle in the cable which might loosen the connection over time.

I shut down the projector and turned off the power for over an hour. I then fired back up and it worked for a full movie.

Course when wife came to check on how I was doing and I told her I had narrowed it to either projector or cable, she said "what does a new projector cost"....she was receptive to upgrading...lol...I just wanted to get my money out of this bulb. But I'd really like to get that Mit HC3800. Good image, 3,000 hr bulb and free bulb w/mail in rebate would have me taken care of for 5-6 years. But I don't think I can handle that lens offset with my 8 foot ceiling. I'd really have to lower the screen and I already have it a touch lower than I would like in an idea world.

I'll keep an eye on it over the weekend. We watch it a lot on the weekend. Any trouble at all and I'll order a new cable.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 08-07-10 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-08-10, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Had no trouble yesterday. All day was fine. But today had an issue...agghh....guess I'll order a cable.
Old 08-08-10, 07:32 PM

Monoprice cables are crap. I used to think they were great quality at a low price but boy was I wrong. I've had several issues with various cables from them including an HDMI cable issue. I'll stick with Blue Jeans cables, not an issue since I swapped out all of my cables.
Old 08-08-10, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not married to Monoprice, I'll look....but then I've been thru the entire Cowboy game with no issues....I hate inconsistent issues....
Old 08-08-10, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

HDMI really is a bitch. It's like the Windows of the AV world. I don't think there is a cable company that will ever be able to claim perfect, permanent functionality. There are people who had 2 cables, 2 rooms with HT setups. Both rooms had problems, swapped the 2 cables between rooms and both worked. So, is that the cables fault, the sources, the TVs, or just HDMI itself?

Last edited by Spiky; 08-08-10 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-09-10, 07:52 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am another person with an hdmi cable from monoprice that sucks. I was all about monoprice, but if the cable is over 20 feet long from them, spend the extra money and get their best cable, or else you need a passive inline booster. (another 12 bucks anyway)
Old 08-09-10, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiky
HDMI really is a bitch. It's like the Windows of the AV world. I don't think there is a cable company that will ever be able to claim perfect, permanent functionality. There are people who had 2 cables, 2 rooms with HT setups. Both rooms had problems, swapped the 2 cables between rooms and both worked. So, is that the cables fault, the sources, the TVs, or just HDMI itself?
That is what is so freaking annoying!! I'm comfortable trouble shooting. Wife gave the go ahead "if I wanted" to get a new PJ, but what is the point if I haven't found the problem??

I mean, it could also be my Monoprice HDMI switcher, couldn't it? I mean I took it out of the loop to get everything working, but since I'm not having a consistent problem, I can't really eliminate it as the problem, can I? Or it might not be the 15-20' cable from the PJ to my wall plate, it could be the short cable from the switcher to the wall plate. Or it could be the wall plate!!

I have everything working seamless to. I bought the stupid Harmony adapter for my PS3 so my remote handles literally everything now including the PS3...been really nice. Now this...agghhh....

I was planning on a "major" upgrade next spring. New Sub, new receiver and likely new pj. But I want everything to work till then. And I have planned for upgrades before only to not do it for a number of reasons. Wasn't planning on new cables. But maybe...
Old 08-10-10, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ooh, speaking of HDMI crap, check out woot! today.
Old 08-10-10, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiky
Ooh, speaking of HDMI crap, check out woot! today.
Nice. I might pick up. I think the female to male adapters might help out. Especially for my PJ and wall plate.
Old 08-12-10, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I did order those adapters above, however, I do thing I got it trouble shot to the long HDMI cable. I'm having trouble getting anything to work via that HDMI (even if I eliminate the switcher and wall plug). Can get anything with component/S-video to test to work just fine.

And the ultimate, I have one laptop with a HDMI output. I can get a signal every time with a DIFFERENT HDMI cable directly into the project, but not thru the long HDMI! I used a laptop cause it is the only thing I got with a battery that I can hold up close to the projector with a short cable.

My guess is that perhaps I got the bend to the projector to tight. But I assuming the actual cable is pretty flexible. Only the outer jacket is stiff. But who knows. I'm going to order a new cable and hope that takes care of till spring...

Edit, this is the cable I'm using from Monoprice, 2806 HDMI Tin-Plated Copper CL2 Rated (for In-Wall Installation) Cable (22AWG) - 25ft (Gold Plated). Interestingly, I ordered in 11/2006. And I know I had pj a few months before that (using component). I didn't realize I had pj about 4 years now.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 08-12-10 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-12-10, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is there any reason I need "high speed"??
Old 08-13-10, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

22AWG x19 bundled tightly is actually pretty inflexible.

High speed apparently means HDMI 1.3 or higher. Note the specs show 165MHz for standard and 340MHz for high, matching up with 1.1 vs 1.3+ specs. They obviously changed the copy since I can't find "1.1" or "1.3" anywhere, anymore.
Old 08-13-10, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I asked before I looked. Looks like there are few options for high speed (at least high speed "certified" at 25 feet). Yea. Even at 25' 22AWG is probably over kill. I'll pick up something thinner and more flexible while hopefully sticking to the CL2 (or higher) rating.
Old 08-13-10, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Right now, I'm leaning towards this from BlueJeans cable.

Tartan Cable 24 AWG HDMI Cable:
(Chinese-made, 24 AWG Tinned Copper, CL2 rated)

$19.50 + shipping seems like a good deal. Tho I may get lucky and have an extra cable. When I hooked up my parents HT I only had a "long" HDMI cable for them. I'm going to go down and measure just how long it is. I might be able to swap that out....will have to see. I want to get something ordered today if possible.

Damn...$9.00 for shipping! from BlueJeans. That is almost 50% of the cost of the cable

I ended up going with Monoprice again. I "think" 26AWG should be a nice balance between size and flexibility. Cable itself was a few $$ less than the bluejean and shipping was a couple $$ less as well.

25FT 26AWG CL2 Standard Speed HDMI Cable - Black

So...should be here by the end of next week....hope...

Last edited by Sdallnct; 08-13-10 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-13-10, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bad cable "confirmed".

So the cable I had set up my parents with was a 15' cable cause that was all I could find at the time. I looked today and found a 6' one and went down and switched them out.

Now 15' is not long enough for me to run in the attic, but it is long enough for me to run inside the media room from my equipment to pj. I used that and everything fired up no problem! That is thru HDMI switcher.

As the pic shows, I think I just bent the cable to much as it was very stiff.

I'll watch for a bit and this weekend and make sure of my "confirmation". But I'm pretty sure that is the issue. I hung the cable up in the media room so no one will pull it by accident, but it does look pretty funny...lol

But all is working and I'll run the new cable when it comes in.
Old 08-15-10, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Course when wife came to check on how I was doing and I told her I had narrowed it to either projector or cable, she said "what does a new projector cost"....she was receptive to upgrading...lol...I just wanted to get my money out of this bulb. But I'd really like to get that Mit HC3800. Good image, 3,000 hr bulb and free bulb w/mail in rebate would have me taken care of for 5-6 years. But I don't think I can handle that lens offset with my 8 foot ceiling. I'd really have to lower the screen and I already have it a touch lower than I would like in an idea world.
So...thinking I might have to get a new pj and possible set up for next spring...I did some checking on lens and lens offset on budget 1080p pj's.

I guess I had it wrong. My current pj, the HD70 has a bigger offset than the Mit! The HD70 is a 33%. The Mit is 29% (the HD20 is only 15% which might actually be an issue. I'd likely have to raise the screen. Which might not be bad considering I have two rows, but a lot of work).

The Mit has a bigger zoom lens. So IF I replace my HD70 with the Mit, it would be minimal work...should be anyway....hummmm
Old 08-19-10, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Got new cable from Monoprice late yesterday. Installed today. I had received the connectors I got from the Woot deal and used a female to female one to join the cables and secured with electrical tape. Then just pulled the old cable out and brought the new one thru. Took minutes as I had son push the cable as I was pulling to avoid any kinks.

Fired right up. No problem. At first I was a little concerned. This gauge didn't seem all that smaller. But it is a LOT more flexible. I'm going to experiment with using one of those bendable adapters and see what has the less stress....but I don't think it will be an issue with this cable.
Old 08-20-10, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cool! (felt you shouldn't be talking to yourself)
Old 08-20-10, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

LOL...thanks...I'm getting plenty of talking to over in the iPhone thread!! LOL

I just wanted to post the resolution in case someone came in and did a HDMI search.