DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DTS Music

Old 08-23-00, 05:30 PM

Sorry if this doesn't belong in this forum, but I really couldn't figure out where to post it. I know some music is now DTS encoded, but is it on CD or DVD? Where is it available for sale?

Thanks!
Old 08-23-00, 06:00 PM
Cool New Member

i think they are CDs. you can buy them at Fry's for full retail or online at www.kencranes.com for about 15-20% off i think. i think u aren't supposed to play them in a non dts player though because it'll emit some crazy high pitched noise or something like that.
Old 08-23-00, 06:54 PM
SEH

Yes, you are right that you can't play DTS titles in a standard CD-player. I tried that with the Police DTS and it was just that high pitched noise. On the other hand, it was good quality noise.

Really, the DTS encoded Police "every breath you take" greatest hits compliation is fantastic and with a few exceptions, the surround additions are modest and appropriate. Enjoy.
Old 08-23-00, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Eagles: Hell Freezes Over is also BOTH available as DVD with video or CD with music only.
Both with DTS. It is currently my favorite DTS music title. They are sold for about the same price, so I would recommend the DVD version.

The police is also great. "de do do do, de da da da" is a new version not available anywhere other than on the DTS CD.