Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Connecting DVD player?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Connecting DVD player?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-00, 04:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to be able to connect a DVD player to my tv, but the tv does not have RCA or S-video inputs, only the screw terminal for the cable. Is there soms converter that I could hook up to the cable input that would allow me to plug RCA's into it? I had a friend who tried to connect a VCR to his TV and run the DVD player through it, but the picture and color was all screwed up. THanks for all your help.
Old 08-21-00, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Go to radio shack and get an RF modulator. It will let you hook up the Yellow, red, and white cables to it and output an RF signal to your TV. It will cost about 30. You can not go through your VCR, because of Macrovision. If you are hooking yourDVD player's sound to a stereo receiver then you can just hook the yellow cable to the RF modulator and the red and white cables to the stereo.
Old 08-21-00, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some VCR's will let the signal pass through and will only scramble the signal if it is placed in record mode.
Old 08-21-00, 11:23 PM

How does the picture quality of an RF modulator stack up against a TV that would use RCA or S-video inputs? I'm assuming the modulator can be turned off when I want to watch the channel it's transmitting on. What channel does the modulator transmit on? Can the channel it transmits on be changed? Thanks for the input.
Old 08-22-00, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by HarleyG8r:
How does the picture quality of an RF modulator stack up against a TV that would use RCA or S-video inputs? I'm assuming the modulator can be turned off when I want to watch the channel it's transmitting on. What channel does the modulator transmit on? Can the channel it transmits on be changed? Thanks for the input.<HR>

No offense or insult intended but DVD through an RF connection will look like crap, plain and simple. Even DVD through RCA composites don’t look too hot. Try, if at all possible to get a better TV with S-Video.

------------------
A free Tibet - Keep Hope alive...
Old 08-22-00, 01:23 AM

I'm a college student on a very tight budget...no new tv's in my future. Any bright ideas someone might have so I can get a decent picture out of my DVD player? The picture quality of an RCA output signal would be acceptable. I'm not going for home theater standards, just something I can get a decent picture out of. Thanks.
Old 08-22-00, 01:27 AM

It will look about the same as composite video. I used to have a TV with just RF input, and I was lucky enough to have a VCR that did not scramble the picture. So by all means if you have a VCR with RCA inputs, try that first, THEN you can shell out $30 if that doesn't work. If you can afford it, I would certianly get a new TV, but if you can't don't worry about it and make due with what you have, we all have had to make due at some point. The picture will still be better than crappy VHS.

------------------
"...that gum you like is going to come back in style"
Old 08-22-00, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

TO get a composite input to your TV that only has an RF input, may I recommend the RF modulator from Radio Shack...catalog #15-1283A...should run you about $30 or so. THis will allow you to use your player's composite jack to your TV, and switch between a cable box and the DVD player without constantly yanking cables.

------------------
Inching ever closer to the 1000 post club...
Old 08-22-00, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by HarleyG8r:
How does the picture quality of an RF modulator stack up against a TV that would use RCA or S-video inputs? I'm assuming the modulator can be turned off when I want to watch the channel it's transmitting on. What channel does the modulator transmit on? Can the channel it transmits on be changed? Thanks for the input.<HR>

Using the device I mentioned in my previous post, your player and TV will present a very acceptable picture. The device transmits on channel 3 or 4 and is switchable bewteen the two. Good Luck!!

------------------
Inching ever closer to the 1000 post club...