Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

NEED HELP CONNECTING LD PLAYER

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

NEED HELP CONNECTING LD PLAYER

Old 08-17-00, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got, off ebay, a Sony Lasermax 1550 player. The video out on the back doesn't look like it will take the yellow tipped RCA jack or the coaxial cable one. I don't know what cord I'm supposed to use. Help!

------------------
REVIEW WORLD

"Pop's trippin', man. He wanted me to ask for my bike back. You know I wouldn't trip."
Old 08-17-00, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maybe it has a s-video connection?
Old 08-17-00, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No, this is an older model. It was made in 1990, I think.

Do all older LD's use RF cables? I guess that's what mine uses, but when I tried connecting one that I had, it seemed like it couldn't "reach" the inside of the video out.

------------------
REVIEW WORLD

"Pop's trippin', man. He wanted me to ask for my bike back. You know I wouldn't trip."
Old 08-17-00, 05:49 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Across the Hudson [email protected]: Hoboken. LET'S GO YANKS!
Mr. Cinema: there is no manual included? Try contacting the seller and ask him how to connect. That might help! As soon as you know the type of connect you can post it.
Old 08-17-00, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a laser disc player and it uses the RF connections. Does your receiver have a RF demodulator built in? If it doesn't, you will need to get one.

What is the connection labeled on the player?
Old 08-17-00, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Could it be a BNC connector? BTW, yes, most LD players have an RF out (and in, just like a VCR).

...I Just looked up the player on eBay, and yes, it is a BNC connector. You can buy materials at Radio Shack to make a cable to hook up to your TV, but I honestly don't know what the LD output will be. Composite video?

[This message has been edited by DigIt (edited August 17, 2000).]
Old 08-17-00, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So my player has a BNC connector. I have no idea what that is. Will Radio Shack know what I'm talking about? So they will have everything I need to hook my tv to my receiver?

I don't care as much about video as I do audio. The audio is fine, I would just like to be able to see something. Is composite output terrible? What is it?

Sorry for all the questions, but I know absolutely nothing about Laserdisc. I only had VHS before DVD.

------------------
REVIEW WORLD

[This message has been edited by Mr. Cinema (edited August 17, 2000).]
Old 08-18-00, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got a BNC adapter from Radio Shack today. Hooked it up to the back of my LD player, got some RF cable and hooked it from the adapter to my tv. The result? A scrambled picture with bits of color.

What is going on? I don't know what to do about this.

------------------
REVIEW WORLD

Old 08-18-00, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did you get a Laser Disc RF demodulator or something else? The LD has is own Analog RF format.
Old 08-18-00, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did you connect it to the yellow video input jack? I would imagine that the output is composite video, not RF, so don't connect it to the TV antenna.

[This message has been edited by DigIt (edited August 18, 2000).]
Old 08-18-00, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This current auction has good pictures, so someone here might me better able to help you, Mr. Cinema. I wish I could help, but I never had an older player with the type of video connector shown. Don't want to sound like a jerk, but I can't imagine that a pre s-video output player can give a very good picture anyway, even if you get it to work.
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...item=407221562
Old 08-18-00, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My tv doesn't have the yellow video jack. Just an RF one.

I just want a decent picture. The reason I got this player is because there are films that aren't going to be on DVD for years. I have the Star Wars Trilogy ready to watch. I'm more of a sound person, so the picture I'm not concerned with.

I don't know what a RF demodulator is. I bought a BNC adapter, that's it. The BNC adapter I got has an RF out on the other end of it, not a yellow video thing.

------------------
REVIEW WORLD

Old 08-19-00, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Mr. Cinema:
My tv doesn't have the yellow video jack. Just an RF one.

I just want a decent picture. The reason I got this player is because there are films that aren't going to be on DVD for years. I have the Star Wars Trilogy ready to watch. I'm more of a sound person, so the picture I'm not concerned with.

I don't know what a RF demodulator is. I bought a BNC adapter, that's it. The BNC adapter I got has an RF out on the other end of it, not a yellow video thing.

<HR>

Of you are saying your tv only has an old coaxial input and no rca jacks...I think you're out of luck with that player.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.dvd-o-rama.com"" TARGET=_blank>DVD-O-Rama.com
DVD Reviews..with an attitude

Presented by Samuel L. Bronkowitz
Old 08-20-00, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What does my tv not having yellow video jacks have to do with a BNC connector? The LD player doesn't have any yellow video jacks either.

------------------
REVIEW WORLD

Old 08-20-00, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the BNC connector is putting out a composite video signal and not an RF signal. I think there is an adaptor to go from BNC to RCA. Then you can run the video signal through your VCR with a RCA compostie video cable (yellow cable). This is a guess, but might be worth a try.
Old 08-20-00, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was going to post my next question as to whether or not there is a BNC adapter that has a yellow video jack on the end. I think that actually may do it. In fact, I brought up one of my older vcr's and tried to hook the LD into it with the BNC/RF adapter I have now. Same thing, yellowish scrambled picture. Then I thought that maybe using a yellow video jack my do the trick. Guess I'll be heading back to Radio Shack and getting one of these.

I'll post again with either good news or more bad news...

------------------
REVIEW WORLD

Old 08-20-00, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Mr. Cinema:
What does my tv not having yellow video jacks have to do with a BNC connector?
<HR>

Because the BNC connector will not connect to the input on your tv, thats why.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.dvd-o-rama.com"" TARGET=_blank>DVD-O-Rama.com
DVD Reviews..with an attitude

Presented by Samuel L. Bronkowitz

[This message has been edited by DVD_O_Rama (edited August 20, 2000).]
Old 08-20-00, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I got a RCA Jack to BNC adapter at Radio Shack. Hooked it from my LD to my VCR and wha-la, no picture. I hit the input button to turn it to "video" and when I put Star Wars in, the picture is completely blue, like it doesn't even know a movie is playing. I am about to give up on this....I've tried BNC/RF adapter, no dice...BNC/RCA adapter, no dice. I don't think there is anything else I can get for this thing.

------------------
REVIEW WORLD

Old 08-21-00, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here is what the back of my player looks like:

------------------
REVIEW WORLD

Old 08-21-00, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You might want to try posting your question on Home Theater Talk - some of the users there are very knowledgeable about laserdisc.

RD