DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Just how good are Marantz receivers?

Old 08-18-00, 04:51 PM

I'm thinking of getting the Marantz SR-7000
receiver. It's a little pricey at 800 bucks,
but what the hell. I've read SO many raves
of Marantz's products. Does anyone own this
model? Is DVD sound quality AND cd sound quality as good as the hype says on this receiver?
Old 08-18-00, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why not ask your dealer if you can take one home and try it out on your system? I'm sure that if you're planning on spending that amount of money on a receiver, you'd want to hear how it sounds in your home. At least they should have a return policy if you're not happy.

I've heard good things about Marantz too. They are considered to be very musical receivers, meaning your CDs will sound very nice.
Old 08-18-00, 05:41 PM

Keith - Mine (sr-7000) just got delivered today!

Haven't hooked it up yet, but when I heard it in the store, I knew I just had to have it. It's flawless for both music and movies and nothing in its pricerange can touch it. Speaking of price, DO NOT pay $800 for this receiver. I paid $600 for mine (a refurb) and could have gotten a brand new one for $650 at Crazy Eddie.
Old 08-18-00, 06:00 PM

What's Crazy Eddie? A hi-fi store,or an on-line store?
Old 08-18-00, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A note for Keith:

The only authorized Marantz online dealer is www.hifi.com - if you buy anywhere else, you are pretty much getting an unauthorized deal, which could affect your warranty status.

Authorized dealers have other benefits such as trade-in policies and they will handle shipping and repairing your unit at no extra charge.

However, unauthorized dealers tend to offer significant price reductions on their products. Is it worth it to you to save that much money versus the peace of mind and direct service you'll get from an authorized dealer? The choice is yours...
Old 08-18-00, 06:41 PM

True, HIFI.com may be the only "authorized" online dealer of Marantz products, but in my mind, saving $200 is a BIG DEAL. I personally bought mine from an authorized dealer who deals directly with Marantz on a daily basis. He was selling new units for $695 and refurbs for $600 (although he can't keep any in stock because everyone wants them). Plus, from the three or four authorized dealers I spoke with about this receiver (and other Marantz products), they have never seen anything go wrong with them. I guess if you're overly paranoid buying a model for a cheaper price online is a "risk", but I think the savings is more than justified with a trusted product.

[This message has been edited by speedzon21 (edited August 18, 2000).]
Old 08-18-00, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I actually have the SR-8000. I decided to go up for the copper shielding, better power supply and remote. The 7000 IMHO is the BEST value I have seen out there. The other deciding factor for me was a good deal on the 8000 and he had it in stock whereas I had a one month wait for a 7000.

YOU CAN NEGOTIATE WITH A LOCAL DEALER. However, HiFi is the only AUTHORIZED online dealer. As to crazy eddie or other place you mail order from, it's a crapshoot as to whether or not they will honor the warranty.

P.S. Marantz is putting out a terrific product these days. If you are looking for a receiver for music and HT, it will be hard to beat them for quality/value.

[This message has been edited by xcheckers (edited August 18, 2000).]
Old 08-19-00, 02:53 AM

I, too, have the sr-8000. It far surpassed my expectations. You won't be sorry if you go with Marantz!
Old 08-19-00, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Marantz is a rock solid company that delivers a high quality product. You can not go wrong. I have an AV-9000 and love it!
Old 08-19-00, 12:37 PM

I have the 8000 and believe me it is worth its price - I was going for 7000 but got some extra cash so went for the 8000 - both are extre,ely good - just saw in yestredays paper that brandsmart is now selling marantz - the ad was for 7000 for $659.

Try brandsmart and MARANTZ wont disappoint you. Good Luck!
Old 08-20-00, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
quote:
Originally posted by xcheckers:
However, HiFi is the only AUTHORIZED online dealer.

True -- But Marantz does sell refirbs (class B stock) to other online merchants. I received my SR-880 Mk II from audioadvisor.com and it had (has) full Marantz warranty coverage.