DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Hooking DVD to Receiver for CD playing

Old 08-18-00, 01:15 PM

When I get home today, my new Marantz sr-7000 will be there along with my new Toshiba 2109 (speakers are delayed ). Anyways, I plan on hooking the DVD to the receiver through the digital out for DD/DTS, but do I also need to hook up the RCA composite left/right to listen to CDs from the DVD player? Thanks!
Old 08-18-00, 01:38 PM

With my 3109, I can listen to cd's via the optical connection (the receiver can convert the digital signal with no problem).
But, I don't get the benefit of HDCD decoding this way, so I also have the analog outputs of the player going into the cd inputs on the receiver. This way I get the decoded analog signal that the player outputs, rather than a raw digital feed that the receiver converts (but doesn't decode the HD data).
I can hear a slight improvement in switching from the dvd-digital signal to the cd-analog signal on my receiver when playing HDCD cd's, so that is why mine is configured this way. The 2109 doesn't have HDCD decoding, so do it whatever way's easier. But to answer your question, you don't have to make the analog connection.
Old 08-18-00, 01:58 PM

Thanks for the info Michael!
Old 08-20-00, 03:15 AM

I have a 2109 and have it connected to my receiver with a digital coax cable and I play CDs, HDCDs, and DTS CDs. By using the digital connection you have more options as to play back material.
Greg