DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

New Velodyne 10" sub or Display Model 12"

Old 08-19-00, 11:07 AM

I need advice. I am in the maket for a new sub (my Infinity BU-120 died a couple of months past the one year warranty). From what I have read I can't go wrong with a Velodyne. CC (I know, they suck) has a new CT-100 for $429 and a slightly used (display or returned)CT-120 for $399. Both have the Velodyne 2 year warranty. Any opinions on which to purchase? I am usually leary of products which are not completely new in the box but I would not otherwise be able to afford the 12" sub. Thanks!
Old 08-19-00, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You're likely to get a lot of opnions, but I would recommend you check out the HSU subs. I own both a velodyne and HSU and find the HSU to be superior in every way.

HSU makes a model for around $500. Its mail order only, but you do get a 30 day in home trial. Best of luck.
Old 08-19-00, 01:52 PM
SS

Go with the 12". It will blend easier than a 10". A smaller sub has to be turned up louder to get good low frequency effects and then becomes boomy and localized. A larger sub, or even 2 will do much better. Velodyne do not suck. Other brands are ok also. By all means, shop around. I never have a problem buying a demo, or even used. You get way more for the money. Find out how they were used. If they were too small for the system and being driven to death then stay away.
Old 08-19-00, 10:37 PM

Go for the Ct-120 for $399. It still has the same warranty as a brand new one, so you really have nothing to lose. The most likely component to fail will be the amp, if it doesn't fail in the first month you'll most likely get years out of it.

I agree with the comment that Hsu Research makes the best subs for the money, but for the price you're getting the Ct-120 at I'm not sure it would be worth the diffrence in price. Velodyne makes excellent subs. You can check out there website www.hsuresearch.com and look at the VTF-2.

One last point is that driver size has very little to do with how well a sub integrates with a system. A well engineered sub can be integrated in almost any system, whether the driver is 10" or 12" has very little effect.