Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Time for a new projector

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Time for a new projector

Old 06-19-10, 04:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Time for a new projector

My Mitsubishi HC3000 is nearing 3 years old and I'm getting a warning signal that lamp replacement time is fast approaching.
1. New bulb, or new projector?
2. If New projector, which brand, and should I go HiDef/BlueRay/HDMI or stick with StdDVD/Composite.

A year or so ago, I bought an UpConvert DVD player and the HDMI cable and saw NO difference between Component vs HDMI, so I sent the cable back. I concluded that HiDef with projectors was not an upgrade worth the expense. Have things changed since then?

I'm really out of the loop with all the hardware advancements, so any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by MrVette99; 06-19-10 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-19-10, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 406 Likes on 351 Posts
Re: Time for a new projector

Originally Posted by MrVette99
My Mitsubishi HC3000 is nearing 3 years old and I'm getting a warning signal that lamp replacement time is fast approaching.
1. New bulb, or new projector?
2. If New projector, which brand, and should I go HiDef/BlueRay/HDMI or stick with StdDVD/Composite.

A year or so ago, I bought an UpConvert DVD player and the HDMI cable and saw NO difference between Component vs HDMI, so I sent the cable back. I concluded that HiDef with projectors was not an upgrade worth the expense. Have things changed since then?

I'm really out of the loop with all the hardware advancements, so any help would be appreciated.
How much is the bulb for your projector? How big is your screen? How far do you sit?

Most around here know that I don't push 1080p. However on projectors is one area where you should WILL see a difference pretty regularly. Unless of course your sitting across the street. Your projector is 720p (really 768) so I would at least consider 1080p.

If your happy with your Mit, take a look at the HC3800. 1080p DLP sweetness. $1,300 w/MIR for a 2nd bulb. Nice deal.

http://www.projectorpeople.com/proje...subishi+HC3800

review here,

http://www.projectorreviews.com/mits...3800/index.php

Please don't confuse composite v. component. Many say there is little difference between component and HDMI. However there is a huge difference in composite (it sucks). You will need HDMI on some sources or if you want to get lossless audio to your receiver (in some cases). I have my 720p projector hooked via HDMI and am pleased. But only get your cables from Monoprice. Well not only, but best deal around for quality cables.

I would without a doubt get a BD player. You can get a nice one for $150 or even $175 with wifi built in (nice for netflix), and the vast majority make good upconverting players on DVD. I see no drawback. Unless you want to go super high end DVD. Plus bluray movies have really come down, so you might want to start picking up your favorites in BD.
Old 06-19-10, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
How much is the bulb for your projector? How big is your screen? How far do you sit?

Most around here know that I don't push 1080p. However on projectors is one area where you should WILL see a difference pretty regularly. Unless of course your sitting across the street. Your projector is 720p (really 768) so I would at least consider 1080p.

If your happy with your Mit, take a look at the HC3800. 1080p DLP sweetness. $1,300 w/MIR for a 2nd bulb. Nice deal.

http://www.projectorpeople.com/proje...subishi+HC3800

review here,

http://www.projectorreviews.com/mits...3800/index.php

Please don't confuse composite v. component. Many say there is little difference between component and HDMI. However there is a huge difference in composite (it sucks). You will need HDMI on some sources or if you want to get lossless audio to your receiver (in some cases). I have my 720p projector hooked via HDMI and am pleased. But only get your cables from Monoprice. Well not only, but best deal around for quality cables.

I would without a doubt get a BD player. You can get a nice one for $150 or even $175 with wifi built in (nice for netflix), and the vast majority make good upconverting players on DVD. I see no drawback. Unless you want to go super high end DVD. Plus bluray movies have really come down, so you might want to start picking up your favorites in BD.
Thanks! And right you are -- Component!!! I've been very very happy with the 760p, and the bulb cost is about $300+ (ouch!). Problem is, in an hour of online searching (for Mitubishi) it looks as if the company/industry is going 1080p exclusively, which is a price increase. I have seen "generic" bulbs for about 170ish, and might go that route. 3 years ago, money was not a big issue, but it is now.

Do you know? Is the bulb warning a time thing, or does it have a sensor. I'll probably ignore it till total failure, but I sure would like to find a way to reset it, if it is a time thing (and not sensor).
Old 06-19-10, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

I've never followed projection technology much because I think the PQ was always poor. Well more so TVs than projectors per se, but that's because I didn't have the room. Anyway, I thought projection TVs shifted to LED bulbs which meant the time to replace was extended to something like 3-4x normal bulbs. If this is true, perhaps it carried over to the newer projectors as well?
Old 06-19-10, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Superman07
I've never followed projection technology much because I think the PQ was always poor. Well more so TVs than projectors per se, but that's because I didn't have the room. Anyway, I thought projection TVs shifted to LED bulbs which meant the time to replace was extended to something like 3-4x normal bulbs. If this is true, perhaps it carried over to the newer projectors as well?
There are just now coming out with LED projectors. Very expensive. Not worth it in my opinion. Besides, until you get to the expensive LCD's I prefer DLP over LCD.

Why do you "think" the pq is poor? Have you watched a well set up system? My 720p projector has the best picture in our house. Better than my 46" LCD Samsung (1080p) in the living room and much better than my 27" LCD Olevia in the bar.

I love my projector. I watch regular TV on it (HD) all the time. It is fantastic.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 06-19-10 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-19-10, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MrVette99
Thanks! And right you are -- Component!!! I've been very very happy with the 760p, and the bulb cost is about $300+ (ouch!). Problem is, in an hour of online searching (for Mitubishi) it looks as if the company/industry is going 1080p exclusively, which is a price increase. I have seen "generic" bulbs for about 170ish, and might go that route. 3 years ago, money was not a big issue, but it is now.

Do you know? Is the bulb warning a time thing, or does it have a sensor. I'll probably ignore it till total failure, but I sure would like to find a way to reset it, if it is a time thing (and not sensor).
You can still buy 720p pj's. And you could probably buy a new, nicer one than yours (resolution isn't everything), but if you getting a new pj, I'd look at 1080p.

And you much not have kept up...lol....Than Mit that I linked at $1,300 was probably $2,500 a year ago. 1080p are just now coming down to the grand range and that is amazing! You can get a nice 1080p for less than $1,500. A year-18 months ago you were looking at $2,500-$3000.

Even with bulb cost, pj's are without a doubt the best value in displays (cost per square inch). I mean it is cute and all those that actually measure their displays in inches. But when you watch a football game or HD show on a 9 FOOT screen...welll...size matters. Nothing brings you into the movie watching experience like size.
Old 06-19-10, 07:27 PM

And you much not have kept up...lol....Than Mit that I linked at $1,300 was probably $2,500 a year ago. 1080p are just now coming down to the grand range and that is amazing! You can get a nice 1080p for less than $1,500. A year-18 months ago you were looking at $2,500-$3000.
And now that you have pointed me the right direction, I see that one has a bulb life of 5000 hours. Things are improving drastically. I now understand that I need to think about all this, as there are many things to consider. Thanks again.
Old 06-19-10, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Single LEDs with enough lumens to be a front projector of any sort are barely even available still. They are mostly pocket projectors for small meeting rooms, and wouldn't stand up well to HT use at all.

Casio seems to be making some waves with their LED-Laser combo that gets a little brighter. Still for conference room, though.

There weren't that many RPTVs with LED, either.

There's just a really huge difference between illuminating a 50" flat panel directly with many LEDs and throwing 900 lumens from a single point 15' across a room to show an entire 10' screen.
Old 06-19-10, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Geez, the misunderstanding of projectors is just rampant. I'm researching for a friend, and even published stuff is just filled with garbage. I thought Wired was supposed to be "with it" on tech.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...led-projector/
"LEDs don’t burn out, break down or get hot."

Yeah, they don't get as hot as most other light sources, but heat is one of the main issues in serious LEDs, just like any other lamp type. I wouldn't touch the LED array in that baby.
Old 06-20-10, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

I think I may have misled you. As I said above I think most of my misgivings were on DLP/projection that I experienced as a result of TVs. The larger projectors I've seen at places through work meetings at various locations have usually been top notch. I've never been in a situation that I would consider a projector, but in the event I end up with enough room to use one I imagine I would.
Old 06-20-10, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MrVette99...

I'm the owner of a 92 inch screen, a PS3, and a 1080p projector, and size does matter as far as source resolution. When you start moving to screens larger than 50 inches, stuff that might have passed muster at that size or smaller show more flaws the larger you go. Even Paramount blu-ray discs open with a standard def logo which changes to an HD one, showing the difference. Granted, you need to calibrate to get the best image no matter what viewing source, but my setup looks great, and others have agreed.

Blu-ray spec IS 1080p, so if you want to "future-proof" yourself, and you're in the market for a new projector, do your homework and decide. Also, moving to HDMI solves both video AND audio sourcing, not to mention that you'll be able to experience non-compressed HD audio tracks, if you have a receiver that has HDMI inputs.
Old 06-20-10, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think I may have misled you. As I said above I think most of my misgivings were on DLP/projection that I experienced as a result of TVs. The larger projectors I've seen at places through work meetings at various locations have usually been top notch. I've never been in a situation that I would consider a projector, but in the event I end up with enough room to use one I imagine I would.
My first row of seats is right at 10.5 feet from the screen. 2nd row about 12. And this is a dedicated room! My theater room is actually a lot smaller than my living room. Theater is about 12X12 wall to wall. It's just I have built in's on one wall. Opposite wall? Windows!!

Yea, I would love it if the room was a bout 2ft longer so that my front row was maybe 11-11.5 feet away. But hell, I'd probably up the screen size so I be essentially in the same spot...lol...I'm using a 7'8" screen (94") now.

Picture looks wonderful with HD (yea, my projector is ONLY 720p).
Old 06-20-10, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RockyMtnBri
MrVette99...

I'm the owner of a 92 inch screen, a PS3, and a 1080p projector, and size does matter as far as source resolution. When you start moving to screens larger than 50 inches, stuff that might have passed muster at that size or smaller show more flaws the larger you go. Even Paramount blu-ray discs open with a standard def logo which changes to an HD one, showing the difference. Granted, you need to calibrate to get the best image no matter what viewing source, but my setup looks great, and others have agreed.

Blu-ray spec IS 1080p, so if you want to "future-proof" yourself, and you're in the market for a new projector, do your homework and decide. Also, moving to HDMI solves both video AND audio sourcing, not to mention that you'll be able to experience non-compressed HD audio tracks, if you have a receiver that has HDMI inputs.
I don't totally disagree with you. All things being equal take the 1080p for a pj. However, things are rarely equal. Meaning, just like regular TV's there are good and bad 1080p projectors. So some quality 720p projector will have a better overall image than cheap, crappy 1080p projectors. Resolution is a factor. But is it the most important? Even in this size, I'd say no. Black level, color and contrast can play a bigger role. Other wise you just have a really sharp, but crappy image. I don't really buy into the "future-proof" thing. That's just marketing in my book. Again, you can get a 720p that will outperform, overall, a 1080p even with BD.

What happens EVERY time with my pj is I'll show something on BD or HD and my friends will say..."OMG that is an incredible picture, can't get any better than that". Then I tell them it is 720p and they start ragging on it...LMAO! Hell my projector is inexpensive to!
Old 06-20-10, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My first row of seats is right at 10.5 feet from the screen. 2nd row about 12. And this is a dedicated room! My theater room is actually a lot smaller than my living room. Theater is about 12X12 wall to wall. It's just I have built in's on one wall. Opposite wall? Windows!!

Yea, I would love it if the room was a bout 2ft longer so that my front row was maybe 11-11.5 feet away. But hell, I'd probably up the screen size so I be essentially in the same spot...lol...I'm using a 7'8" screen (94") now.

Picture looks wonderful with HD (yea, my projector is ONLY 720p).
You only have 1.5 feet between seats? Your picture looks like you have at least 3 feet per se. My room is 12 by 16, my front seats are at 11 feet, the back is at 15.5 (wall to eye), just at the back wall.
Old 06-20-10, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't totally disagree with you. All things being equal take the 1080p for a pj. However, things are rarely equal. Meaning, just like regular TV's there are good and bad 1080p projectors. So some quality 720p projector will have a better overall image than cheap, crappy 1080p projectors. Resolution is a factor. But is it the most important? Even in this size, I'd say no. Black level, color and contrast can play a bigger role. Other wise you just have a really sharp, but crappy image. I don't really buy into the "future-proof" thing. That's just marketing in my book. Again, you can get a 720p that will outperform, overall, a 1080p even with BD.

What happens EVERY time with my pj is I'll show something on BD or HD and my friends will say..."OMG that is an incredible picture, can't get any better than that". Then I tell them it is 720p and they start ragging on it...LMAO! Hell my projector is inexpensive to!
Same here my friend. All things told, our theaters work for us. And as for "future-proof" I'd agree, hence the quotes. As soon as you buy something it's obsolete, ESPECIALLY technology nowadays. I am waiting for LED-lit front projectors, but I can easily go ten years without.
Old 06-20-10, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You only have 1.5 feet between seats? Your picture looks like you have at least 3 feet per se. My room is 12 by 16, my front seats are at 11 feet, the back is at 15.5 (wall to eye), just at the back wall.
You maybe right. When I said room was 12 X 12 I thought that sounded strange. It might be 15 foot long.

Anyway...just noting not a huge room by any means.
Old 06-21-10, 08:41 PM

Found out how to reset the bulb time counter. So now the annoying initial warning is no longer an annoyance. I can now relax and forget as "ignorance is bliss".

On Ebay is a HC7000U with extra bulb. Hope I get it, as I really do like my set up.
Old 06-21-10, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You don't want to go too far. They can explode, and exploding can damage the PJ. So, you need to have some point where you replace it.
Old 06-22-10, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
You don't want to go too far. They can explode, and exploding can damage the PJ. So, you need to have some point where you replace it.
Agreed - don't sacrifice safety for cost. Hopefully he took down what his original lamp hours were.
Old 06-22-10, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Right now I have the Epson Movie Mate 72 (720p), and I'm looking to upgrade soon, maybe, it depends on a few things. The HC3800 looks good, but after looking at some screen shots and reviews, the Optoma HD20 looks very comperable to the HC3800, but for $500 less. Does anybody here happen to have the HD20 and care to comment on its pros and cons? I've heard it's a little loud (32-35db), but my Movie Mate is loud as well (32db) and it usually doesn't bother me. Thanks!
Old 06-23-10, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky
Really? When and if that happens then I will really be buying a new projector.
Old 06-23-10, 11:45 AM

Agreed - don't sacrifice safety for cost. Hopefully he took down what his original lamp hours were.
How do you do that? Externally/Internally there is no counter display. I've never come across a remote setting that will display such information to the screen.
Old 06-23-10, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My projector actually shows the counter in a menu on screen in hours. I looked at the user manual for your projector and did not see a lamp life feature in the menu, as you stated. I would contact Mitsubishi and ask if this is available via the RS232 port on the back. You may need a serial cable and a computer to read it.

Last edited by RockyMtnBri; 06-23-10 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-23-10, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Press the UP, DOWN, and ENTER buttons on the projector body simultaneously.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...05#post9216005
Old 06-23-10, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good find Spiky! Unfortunately, if MrVette99 reset the counter, that info is lost.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.