Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I think I'm ready, but first let me ask

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

I think I'm ready, but first let me ask

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-00, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I'm ready to buy my first HT system. I have read quite a few posts, and tried to find some information, but perhaps I searched the wrong forums or used the wrong keywords.

I have seen an HT package put together on etown.com, Onkyo TXDS989/Atlantic Technology System 350 THX. They say the list price is $6614.95, but offer it for $4436.88. The system will be in a room that is 32x16, (with high ceilings). I think that perhaps this Onkyo is overkill, but for the price all together, it seems like a good deal. I have read great things about these speakers, though I have not found an area near me that sells them (Westchester, NY).

My questions:
1)Does anyone have a better recommendation for the money, or for less??
2)The system is coming from One Call. Does anyone have experience with them?

Many thanks for your help, and to those who've already helped through some of their other posts!

Peace,

Morley
Old 08-05-00, 12:18 AM

I think the best bang for the buck Complete Home Theater, or Home-Theater-in-a-Box, is the Kenwood HTB-503, I've seen it for about $399.99, and if you get it pricematched at ONECALL (more on that later), youll get it cheaper! The 503 comes with a VR407 reciever, which i recently ordered from Onecall.com, it has 600watts of power, DTS, DD, and prologic decoders, and its a great reciever for the value. If its your first HT, dont spend all that money on the fancy THX stuff, keep your budget low if its your first, and if oyu wanna upgrade, the 407 is very upgradeable, it has Four Digital INputs and outputs, for your DVD, CD, LD, MD, DSS, whatever uses digtal, and plenty of AV ins and outs. It comes with everyhing you need, the speakers, and the subwoofer too, just add a source (DVD player, VCR, CD) and a TV

About onecall.com, they seem okay, you get the cheapest price by ordering over their 1-800 phone number, i think its safer than the internet too. They do pricematching, so they claim to beat any authorized dealer.

------------------
Toshiba SD-2109, Luxman Amp. NEC Pro-Logic Processer... I want... er, im GETTING 5.1!!! Soon, the Kenwood VR-407!!!
HELP! I'M STILL TRAPPED IN A 14 YR.

[This message has been edited by electronix_kid (edited August 04, 2000).]
Old 08-05-00, 12:12 PM

WoW!, a full Thx setup for a first hometheater is a big first step. The price looks great, but make sure it includes both 12" subs. Honestly, you can find a great 5.1 speaker set for about $2000 and a good receiver for abut $1000 that you would be more than happy with. But the system you mention in your post is probably one of the best on the market, and considering you may never feel the need to upgrade for many years it should be well worth the extra money.

One problem you may come across is that the AT 350 system has been discontinued. The new system uses the speakers from the 350 and sub from the 450 and is called the 370. (It basically uses one 15" sub in place of two 12" subs.) Either way, all of the above the above systems will provide excellent movie sound. For speakers of this caliber, the Onkyo is definitely not overkill.

Some advise that may be helpful. If you are buying this as a package, make sure you can't find the components seperately for less. If you can get the system without a sub for less, then you may want to get a Hsu Research TN1220 sub instead, in my experience it's probably the best sub on the market. It will exceed thx requirements easily, especially with the 500 watt amp. Go to www.hsuresearch.com to look into it.

One last thing to remember is that a thx system can be a little "dull" for music. It's usually just the way the music is recorded though.
Old 08-05-00, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

electronix_kid: Heh, while I have the 502, and agree it's a good system for $500 or less, I think Morley is intending to spend quite a bit more than $500 on his system :-) As I would have if I could have afforded more.
Old 08-06-00, 10:01 PM

Electronix Kid,

Thanks for the post! The thing is, I did not want to worry about upgrading and wasting the money. I have been saving up for almost a year now, just so that I wouldn't waste money on a "first" system, only to find that it was a waste because I need to upgrade.

Have you ordered from One.Call before?

Thanks for your post!!

Peace,

Morley
Old 08-06-00, 10:17 PM

daledude,

Thanks for your reply!!! But now I'm a little nervous. Is it a "big step" because I may not be able to set it up?

The system they offer only comes with ONE 12" sub, but they said I should get two. I figure if the speakers are the same and the only difference is the sub, I can pick up a 15" later and put the 12" in the back of the room, no?

You mentioned getting a system for around $3K, would it be as good? I have saved up for almost a year now, and really don't want to have to upgrade this system (at least not for a long time). I have been sooooo patient hearing my DVD's from my TV speakers(tragic as that may be) waiting to have enough for a system I won't have to spend money on later. The thing is, I have not HEARD the speakers, and have not found a place nearby that has them. I have read a lot of reviews, and they seem to be great. I don't have a great ear, as the howling dogs will attest to when I sing. I planned on using the system mostly for HT. One thing that worries me though, is why were the speakers discontinued? A friend of mine also offered to sell me his Marantz receiver (model??? but THX) and Polk speakers, but he didn't give me a price yet, (he just mentioned it to me yesterday).

I will see about buying everything seperately, I have checked out costsheets.com a while ago, and saw what a difference there was in the wholesale and retail, which makes me think I might be able to negotiate a better deal, and then spring for the sub you mentioned, (I will check it out).

Lastly, have you ever dealt with, or know anyone who has purchased from One.Call??

Thanks again!

Peace,

Morley
Old 08-06-00, 10:19 PM

bdshort,

You are right. I really don't want to upgrade. As I have mentioned, I saved for almost a year and now I am finally ready to take the plunge. The good thing is, all the anticipation is making my wife more excited about it!

Peace,

Morely
Old 08-06-00, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you need THX, that sounds like a pretty good deal. I personally went for a notch below (and signifcantly lower $$) and don't think I gave too much. I have a Marantz/NHT/Velodyne setup that I love. Personally, I like Marantz receivers more than Onkyo. The THX version was just too much of a step up for me. The SR-8000 may not be THX, but it rocks; though, I did hear the THX model and if it had only been a few hundred bucks...hmmmmm...

One thing is for sure, either way, you shouldn't need to worry about upgrading. However, given the size of your room, make sure you have enough sub. Given the cost of the system...either match your sub with a second or get a big enough one to handle it. You may also want to get someone to help you set it up properly. Might very well be worth the few bucks if you have never done it before.

p.s. using the cash I didn't spend on a fancier system to seed the savings toward a plasma hdtv.

[This message has been edited by xcheckers (edited August 06, 2000).]
Old 08-07-00, 01:23 AM

xcheckers,

Thanks for your reply!

Do you mean that I wouldn't be able to use the 12" sub now, and get a 15" later, and use them both? How can I find someone to help me set it up. My friend who is thinking about selling his marantz thx/polk set up is/was an electrical engineer. I suspect he would be able to help me with whatever system I get, no? I certainly wouldn't be able to set it up myself....heck, I can't get my PIP to work!

I first wanted to get the onkyo 777 which is THX select. I didn't plan on the 989 until I saw the package. I got a price of $749 for the 777 which I thought was a great deal, but figured the cost of each speaker (foolishly?) at full retail to be about $4K or so. So when I saw this package with a better receiver I thought it was a deal. If I can get the speakers for less, then what would you think about the 777 instead of the 989?

Good luck with the plasma! I bet that will be awsome! I think after this I will not be spending much on HT stuff for a while.

Thanks again!

Peace,

Morley
Old 08-07-00, 01:39 AM

I have no comments on the speakers or receiver (way out of my league), but I have had great experiences with onecall. Also, check out www.audiosurvey.com for other peoples experiences on onecall, as well as any other mailorder shops you may come by.

Bo.
Old 08-07-00, 01:41 AM

Oh, DEFINITELY call their 1-800 number and talk to a live person. You may be able to get them to throw in free cables and stuff (or at least talk them down, which isn't hard on their discontinued stuff). They will help you out with setup after you get your stuff as well (sort of like Crutchfield).

Also, for comparison's sake, both www.reference-av.com and www.soundcity.com sell Atlanic Technology speakers.

With Reference, you will have to call them, but I have gotten good quotes from them before. They also have a good reputation on www.audiosurvey.com.

Bo.

[This message has been edited by BoBoish (edited August 06, 2000).]
Old 08-07-00, 01:54 AM

BoBoish,

Thanks for the posts! I will go and check them out right now! I was hoping to get some feedback on onecall. Many thanks for the site link too! Hmmmm....try to get free cables.....GREAT idea!

Peace,

Morley
Old 08-07-00, 12:49 PM

The 350 was discontinued because after a few years, most speaker manufacturers will "upgrade" there speakers. Sometimes the improvements are noticeable, sometimes they just sound diffrent and not really better.

If you're worried about setting it up, ask your friend for help. You can also get a surround sound test disc. Most disc give you all the instructions you need to set up a thx system. Last you'll want to invest in a $40 Radio Shack SPL meter, the analog one is more acurate then the more expensive digital model.

As far as the sub issue goes, one 12" will be enough as long as you don't crank up the volume to high. For a speaker system to gain Thx certification, it most produce a certain level of bass at a certain volume (30hz at 105spl). The 350 system needed two 12" subs to acheive this. The 450 and newer 370 only need one 15" sub to do this. As far as the Hsu Research sub I don't know any specific numbers, but I do know that the TN1220 can keep up 18" subs that costs twice as much output and sound quality wise.

The Onkyo 777 is an excellent receiver. It is Thx Select, which means that is has the same DSP processing as the Thx Ultra but less power (watt wise). Thx select is meant for rooms of 2000 cubic feet, while Thx Ultra is meant for larger rooms. (The 350 is would be Thx Ultra) With a powered subwoofer the Thx select would be more than adequate for your room.

As for the speakers, you should go to a local dealer and ask to hear a thx system. Most thx systems sound diffrent from most other speakers and some people just don't like the sound.

You should also tell the salesman to show you some speakers that would compete with the 350 that only cost about $2000. Some good brands to look into are: Paradigm, B&w, NHT, Boston Acoustic, Definitive Technology, Energy, PSB, M&K.

Old 08-07-00, 02:19 PM

If you have a 6th Ave. Electronics store near you, they are selling a Pioneer Elite 500 watt DOlby Digital THX reference DTS receiver for $595! If I was looking for a new receiver right now, I might concider this one. But it seems you have more $$$ to spend, so go all out Good Luck!!
Old 08-07-00, 06:39 PM

I have the Atlantic 350's, but I deceided to go with another sub (Sunfire True Sub) in a similar sized room. I am driving mine with a Denon 3600 and it sounds great.

I got my speakers from CinemaSource (http://www.hometheaternet.com) and had no problems at all. They work with the Atlantic Technologies folks a lot and are fully authorized to sell their stuff. Without the subs, my 350 set was just under $1400 about a year ago. Throw in the $1100 I paid for the Sunfire and you are at $2500.

I admit getting a couple of grand off the list price looks good, but you can get one heck of a receiver for $2000. I am not familiar with the Onkyo, but this might not be that great of a deal. The last time I checked, a Denon 5800 would be less than $2k; even less if you don't mind factory refurbished (see spidergear.com). Refurbished would be around $1,300.

Good luck to you. Have fun.

My Theater: http://www.users.uswest.net/~gieso/Theater.htm
Old 08-08-00, 01:04 AM

daledude,

Wow! Thanks for your input! Okay, so just like a new model, not that there was a problem with the speakers, that's good to know.....So, you think that the Onkyo 777 would be good enough with the Atlantics? That would save me a lot if I can get a good deal, and it seems there are some deals out there! It sure would be nice to save some cash, (I'll try not to think that I could have gotten something 4-5 months ago ). I think the 777 is 125watts per channel. I don't know about anyone else, but I doubt I will have it up even that high....but then, I haven't heard it yet. It seems that I will have to start over, and hunt for individual deals, and price them out first, and see what comes out better. If the difference is only a couple of hundred bucks, I think I'll go with the Ultra Onkyo. If I can save 800-900 bucks, I'll go for the Onkyo select. As for the sound of the speakers, there is only one place close to me/that I could find, and they were soooo rude. I walked out after waiting for 15 minutes trying to get someones attention....and my wife and I and one other couple were in the store. I asked for assistance and they didn't even acknowledge us, so I figured these are not people I want to do business with, (The Listening Room).

Anyway, thanks for the advice!!! I will check out the sub you mentioned, as I really want solid, chest thumping bass!

Btw, if I wanted to add a second sub later, could I?

Thanks!

Morley

Old 08-08-00, 01:07 AM

ECydeDave,

Thanks for your post, but I live in Westchester, and am not familiar with that store. I don't get into the city much, as little as possible. I'm not cut out for big city life. I'll try to research the pioneer, but I think I'm settling on the onkyo 777. I have actually been looking at it for some time, but didn't buy it because I didn't think it would be of any use until I had the speakers, which took more time to save up for.

Thanks again!

Peace,

Morley

Old 08-08-00, 01:08 AM

Morley:
I just ordered a Kenwood VR407 from Onecall.com a couple days ago, expecting it any day now! Cant wait!
Old 08-08-00, 01:18 AM

Gieso,

Thanks for your post! Wow!!! $1400 for the speakers without the sub sounds like an amazing deal! I will check them out, and see if perhaps onecall will beat them<big grin>. This way I could pick up the onkyo 777 for about $750, and with the sub be just over $3! That's REALLY great!!! Many thanks! I will check out the site tomorrow when I get home from work, and really start doing my homework. I would love to be set up by the end of the month! I've been so patient, but I really am getting tired of waiting.

Nice set-up, btw!!!

Peace,

Morley
Old 08-08-00, 01:28 AM

electronix_kid:

Great!!! Let me know how you like their service/packaging, etc., if you can! Congrats!!! I hope you get soon! I know what it's like to wait<grin>.

Peace,

Morley
Old 08-08-00, 01:48 AM

Morley,

Once you get this all set up, you know you will have to post back and let us know how it sounds...and of course how happy you are with your set-up! Ahhh, the first time you pop in a DVD with the new home theater.....

Bo.
Old 08-08-00, 11:44 AM

Bo,

You know I will!....I can't wait. The closest I have come to surround sound is using the wide surround SPATIALIZER function on my bedroom dvd player, (which actually is amazing considering it's coming out of the TV!). And to think, when I first started thinking about HT, I was going to buy a Bose system, but then I heard one in my friends house, and it didn't impress me that much.
I wish I had the system now!!!!!

Peace,

Morley

Old 08-08-00, 11:50 AM

One thing to keep in mind is that the Onkyo 989 has some extra processing modes that make it worth more, but you also need extra speakers. Check out the onkyo homepage for more info. about the diffrences. I wouldn't worry about the power diffrences because you can easily buy a seperate poweramp if you ever thought you needed more power.
www.soundandvisionmag.com did a three way comparison between the Onkyo 777, Marantz sr-19, and kenwood receiver. Check it out. They also did a review of five $500 subs. Even the little 10" Hsu sub reviewed was able to put out lots of bass in the reviewers large room.

There is absoulutely no reason why you couldn't add a second sub later on, but it's probably a better idea to use one really good sub. When you have two subs you may get more output at certain frequencies, but you have to be careful when you set them up otherwise you get destructive cancellation at certain frequencies (output at these frequencies will be down).
Old 08-09-00, 12:54 AM

daledude,

I read that review, and it was what made me consider the onkyo initially. Thanks for the info on the sub! With the money I'm about to save, I can get a kick *ss, stop your heart, sub!!! I will check out the Hsu Research TN1220 sub....is that 12" or 15". I may as well spring for a 15" now so I won't have to upgrade that later!

I can't wait!!!!!!

Thanks again!

Peace,

Morley
Old 08-09-00, 01:34 AM

The Hsu Research 12" outperforms 18" subs. It's one of the most powerful subs available.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.