Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I think I'm ready, but first let me ask

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

I think I'm ready, but first let me ask

Old 08-10-00, 02:28 PM
  #26  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NY
Posts: 89
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gieso,

I just called cinemasource, and they don't carry them any more. They were really nice though, and I wish I could have bought it from them. They said only OneCall offers them online now, and that I should give them a call....so here I go, let's see what price they offer.

Peace,

Morley
Old 08-10-00, 04:16 PM
  #27  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 221
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Morely:

I just recieved my Kenwood Reciever yesterday, its packed quite well, besides the original box from factory, they pack THAT inside a bigger box surrounding the original box with packing peanuts between the big box and the original box. Packed it very well. Comes with packing slip all the standard stuff... Pretty good service. Go for ONECALL...
Happy Buying!
Old 08-11-00, 03:28 AM
  #28  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: 3rd Rock from the Sun
Posts: 1,778
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
I bought the Atlantic Technology System 350 THX from OneCall about a year or so ago for a little less than $2000. This included 1 sub and 4 speaker stands. Make sure you get the stands as part of the deal because sometimes they won't include it & charge you an arm & a leg for it. Don't know how much the Onkyo 989 retails for, but just wanted to give you an idea what price range the AT350 should be. By the way, they are great!!! No regrets whatsoever! Good Luck.

[This message has been edited by sinned (edited August 11, 2000).]
Old 08-11-00, 02:32 PM
  #29  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Baldwin, New York USA
Posts: 375
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I own the Atlantic Tech. System 4.5 after looking and listening to speakers for close to three years. I've had them in my house for a year and everytime I fire them up they never stop impressing me. One of the best Home Theater/Stereo investments I've ever made. If you have that kind of money in your budget for you first system. I say go for it, you won't regret it for a minute. I would bet it will sound so amazing that you will have a smile from ear to ear that will last at least six months. And everytime someone comes over (including the mailman) you'll be pulling them into your Home Theater to listem to how great it sounds.

Good Luck and Enjoy.
Old 08-12-00, 12:06 PM
  #30  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NY
Posts: 89
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
electronix_kid:

Thanks for the info, and congrats on your Kenwood!

I'll give onecall a chance....I can't wait!

Peace,

Morley
Old 08-12-00, 12:09 PM
  #31  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NY
Posts: 89
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sinned:

Thanks for the info!!! I really appreciate it. I was wondering, did you make an offer, or just pay the price they had on their site? Also, do you remember how much shipping was and how long it took??? I really need speakers...and a receiver. I can't wait to order them.

Peace,

Morley
Old 08-12-00, 12:11 PM
  #32  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NY
Posts: 89
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Orlando:

Thanks for the info, and the recommendation! I am going to go for it. I guess I have to try to get them to accept a low price now

Peace,

Morley

[This message has been edited by Morley (edited August 12, 2000).]
Old 08-12-00, 02:53 PM
  #33  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 529
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Morley,
I have used Onecall often in the past, and I have nothing but good things to say about them. Make sure to review their return policy though, it's pretty limiting (if I recall). I also have the HSU sub and it's great. Highly recommended.
Old 08-12-00, 08:54 PM
  #34  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Aggieland, TX
Posts: 95
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Morley,
I will second Gieso's recommendation that you check out the Denon 5800. Mainly because you mention that you do not want to upgrade for a long long time. It has all the newest formats likt DTS 6.1ex distrete along with THX EX, you will not have to upgrade that thing for a LONG time!

------------------
"...that gum you like is going to come back in style"
Old 08-13-00, 01:11 AM
  #35  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NY
Posts: 89
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Kojack:
Morley,
I have used Onecall often in the past, and I have nothing but good things to say about them. Make sure to review their return policy though, it's pretty limiting (if I recall). I also have the HSU sub and it's great. Highly recommended.
<HR>


Kojack,

Thanks for the info! Yes, I saw their return policy, however, I think I can live with that. I actually, emailed them an offer this morning, but have not received a reply yet. Perhaps they are not open on the weekend? or perhaps I low-balled them so bad that they don't want to reply?

I'll try another offer on Monday, if I don't hear from them.

Peace,

Morley
Old 08-13-00, 01:14 AM
  #36  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NY
Posts: 89
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by d-rell:
Morley,
I will second Gieso's recommendation that you check out the Denon 5800. Mainly because you mention that you do not want to upgrade for a long long time. It has all the newest formats likt DTS 6.1ex distrete along with THX EX, you will not have to upgrade that thing for a LONG time!
<HR>


d-rell,

Thanks for your reply! What does that receiver usually go for? I'm going to try for the Onkyo777, since it is THX (select), and I can pick it up for $749 (cheapest I have seen so far) which would save me almost $1500 off the Ultra receiver, and I can put that towards a 61" Sony....but that's a different thread.

Peace,

Morley

Old 08-13-00, 02:01 AM
  #37  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Aggieland, TX
Posts: 95
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure you'll be plenty happy with Onkyo, especially for the difference in price. I really don't know how cheap you can get the 5800 for, but it's definitely not under $1000. That is a good idea of putting the money you save towards the tv. Good luck with the system!
Old 08-13-00, 03:47 AM
  #38  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: 3rd Rock from the Sun
Posts: 1,778
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Morley:
sinned:

Thanks for the info!!! I really appreciate it. I was wondering, did you make an offer, or just pay the price they had on their site? Also, do you remember how much shipping was and how long it took??? I really need speakers...and a receiver. I can't wait to order them.

Peace,

Morley
<HR>


Morley,

I actually saw the ad in SoundCity first, and they quoted me a price without the stands. I asked for and got a price with the stands too (can't remember the exact prices, but they were asking like $75 for each speaker stand - if I remember correctly it was 1950 without and 2250 with the 4 speaker stands and the prices did not include shipping). I then called OneCall and asked them for their price. The first customer rep I got roughly quoted the same price. About 2 or 3 days later I got another rep who I felt was looking to make a sale and gave me a lower quote ($2200 plus free shipping). I haggled by saying "hmmm... I'm really interested in it but my budget is just under $2000 since that is what my wife is only allowing me to spend (a totally false story by the way). He then said, he would give the whole system (with the stands, 1 sub, and shipping) for $1950. He also sold me some speaker wire which I bought since I wanted to setup everything as soon as the boxes arrived - but I recommend you buy the wires from somewhere else (recotondirect has a good deal now, see thread somewhere else in this forum).

Bottom line, definitely haggle, and if you don't like the cust rep that you get hang up, dial again at a later time & hope you get connected to a better one!

Old 08-13-00, 04:04 AM
  #39  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: 3rd Rock from the Sun
Posts: 1,778
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, the sub I received was dead & I had to send it back to them. As stated in the return policy, I had to pay to ship it back to them (about $38 via UPS). They were firm in this despite my pleading "it's not my fault you sent me a dead sub!". The good thing about it though is that as soon as you request the RMA they will immediately ship you the replacement. So I had the replacement sub (which worked!) even before I sent back the dead sub.

As far as shipping time goes, I can't remember exactly but I think it took 5 days. I do remember the replacement sub got to me quickly (about 2-3 days).

Just saw an article in the newest Sound and Vision Mag about the Onkyo TX-DS989. It retails for $3200! Akkk.... too rich for my blood. My Sony ST-DA50ES performs very well at just a fraction of the price (got it for around $550). Do you feel it is absolutely essential to have 6.1 or 7.1 decoding? Just my opinion, but I would go for a sub-$1000 receiver for now and upgrade it down the road. I know you mentioned that you do not want to upgrade later on BUT as every home theater enthusiast knows, this is an impossibility!

Hope this helps!
Old 08-13-00, 04:38 PM
  #40  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NY
Posts: 89
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sinned,

I am actually looking at the Onkyo777. It is not 6.1, but is 5.1, DTS, and THX select. I don't think I need ultra yet, and the money I save will go towards my new 61" Sony (maybe by next year).

I still haven't heard from OneCall. ARe they open on the weekends?

Btw, how much did you pay for the Hsu? I guess I need to start looking for bargains for those too!

Peace,

Morley

Old 08-13-00, 04:48 PM
  #41  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NY
Posts: 89
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by sinned:
Morley,

I actually saw the ad in SoundCity first, and they quoted me a price without the stands. I asked for and got a price with the stands too (can't remember the exact prices, but they were asking like $75 for each speaker stand - if I remember correctly it was 1950 without and 2250 with the 4 speaker stands and the prices did not include shipping). I then called OneCall and asked them for their price. The first customer rep I got roughly quoted the same price. About 2 or 3 days later I got another rep who I felt was looking to make a sale and gave me a lower quote ($2200 plus free shipping). I haggled by saying "hmmm... I'm really interested in it but my budget is just under $2000 since that is what my wife is only allowing me to spend (a totally false story by the way). He then said, he would give the whole system (with the stands, 1 sub, and shipping) for $1950. He also sold me some speaker wire which I bought since I wanted to setup everything as soon as the boxes arrived - but I recommend you buy the wires from somewhere else (recotondirect has a good deal now, see thread somewhere else in this forum).

Bottom line, definitely haggle, and if you don't like the cust rep that you get hang up, dial again at a later time & hope you get connected to a better one!
<HR>


Wow! Great deal! How long ago was this? Where did you get the phone number? I didn't see it on the site...oops, there it is, I just went back and checked it. It could have bit me. I'll try them tomorrow! Yuppie!!! $1950 speakers, 4 stands, 1 sub and free shipping? Wow! Do they charge tax? Do you remember who your rep was? May as well send him another comission for hooking you up so well. Do you think they would drop on the cable prices too? If I mentioned the other site?

Peace,

Morley
Old 08-15-00, 05:04 PM
  #42  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: 3rd Rock from the Sun
Posts: 1,778
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Morley,

Sorry, but I don't remember who the rep was. Just liken the experience to buying a car - always be ready to walk out(hang up the phone) if you feel you are not getting a fair price. Who knows, the next rep could be more desperate to make a deal. Also, there was no tax charged. Good luck & let us know when you finally make your purchase!
Old 08-16-00, 12:49 AM
  #43  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NY
Posts: 89
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by sinned:
Morley,

Sorry, but I don't remember who the rep was. Just liken the experience to buying a car - always be ready to walk out(hang up the phone) if you feel you are not getting a fair price. Who knows, the next rep could be more desperate to make a deal. Also, there was no tax charged. Good luck & let us know when you finally make your purchase!
<HR>


Sinned,

Thanks! Will do. The odd thing is they never emailed me a reply. I'll have to speak to them in person. I was hoping to get an email and feel them out first, but oh well. I'm ready to try a few reps if the first doesn't give me a good deal. I'll let you know how it turns out. Many thanks again to you, and everyone for their advice/help!

Peace,

Morley

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.