Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Center channel hidden behind screen

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 05-07-10, 07:07 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

I have a situation in my HT room where I would be able to mount my center channel speaker behind my front projection screen (like in a movie theater). Would I need a special screen to do this?
Old 05-07-10, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Center channel hidden behind screen

If you don't want it to sound horrible, then yes. You need an acoustically transparent screen.
Old 05-19-10, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in a similar position in a few months as my HT room comes together. You definitely need an AT screen like Shaun said. I know I'll be looking at a product by SeymourAV but there's plenty of players in the field. Good luck.
Old 05-19-10, 05:04 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

Now. What if the center chanel is behind the screen but the left and right are not? Does this create an imbalance? Is it an all three or none proposition?
Old 05-19-10, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 135 Likes on 117 Posts

Nope, no home theater police will be kicking in your door.

You can do anything you want. As for the quality of the sound, it will be about your set up, speakers and what you prefer. A common mistake IMO is putting your front speaker to far apart. But unless your screen is just massive, you should be good with going your fronts outside of the screen.

I experimented with mine and ended up just outside the screen. I didn't like them when I tried them farther apart. See pic...in signature.
Old 05-20-10, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Now. What if the center chanel is behind the screen but the left and right are not? Does this create an imbalance? Is it an all three or none proposition?
You should be able to compensate for some of that with the settings on the receiver/processor. If the screen size is large enough you might want to put all three behind the screen.

Personally I painted my inwall grills the same color as the wall and they blend in so mych that when the movie is running you cannot notice them at all. And I feel that being unobstructed they provide better sound without compromising the quality of the screen in tems of brightness and color reproduction.