Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Should I buy Component Video Cables?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Should I buy Component Video Cables?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-00, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and if so, where is a good place to get them cheap. I am using S Video now from my satellite (500) and dvd player thru my onkyo 777. I am thinking about going component on the dvd player straight to tv if it improves video quality.
TV is a hitachi 55inch
Old 08-12-00, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Simple gold shielded 75 ohm RCA coax will work fine....you'll need three of them the appropriate length....they wouldn't be color coded like a specifically manufactured component set but they cost quite a bit less and do the same thing.

Most people agree there is a small improvement when you step up from S-video, mainly an improvement in the colors. If your TV accepts component I'd definitely give it a try. I didn't see a giant difference myself with a 60" Hitachi Ultravision (tried it both ways when I first got the TV), but then it really wasn't a proper A/B test....the colors on it look great now with the component cables though.
Old 08-12-00, 02:58 PM

You should definitely go component. Once you have calibrated your tv with Video Essentials or Avia and have used it for a while, you'll automatically notice weaker colors and slightly lower resolution with S-video. It is an inexpensive upgrade, considering how cheap electronics can be south of the border.
Old 08-12-00, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I also agree that there is not a great difference between S-Video and component video....I am very interested to see the progressive scan players hooked up to an HDTV
set-up!!! Has anyone had the opportunity to view these yet??? How much better...etc....???
Old 08-12-00, 03:51 PM

should I go s-video straight to tv instead of thru receiver as a switcher? will that improve performance?
Old 08-12-00, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Run your cable from your DVD to your TV...direct is always best in my book!!! Someone else may have a different opinion on the matter.

It would really depend on how well your receiver performs as a switcher....

[This message has been edited by djones6746 (edited August 12, 2000).]
Old 08-13-00, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The difference between S-Video and Component is equipment (and user) dependent. Many people report only a small improvement. On my TV (SharpVision HDTV) the difference was very noticable. Though the improvement could be because 3:2 pulldown is only supported from the component input.

Component input allows a TV to differentiate more gradations of color than S-Video. Like Lush said, its a cheap upgrade. Why not give it a try.
Old 08-13-00, 04:21 AM

About the only real benefit that you get by using component video over S-video is that it removes another layer of signal processing. The component signal is closer to the source next come S-video and then composite. I have component cable from Radio Shack connecting my DVD player to my RPTV.
Greg