Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Home Theater Questions?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Home Theater Questions?

Old 04-04-10, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Home Theater Questions?

So here's what I currently have...

10 year old Sony Receiver with 5.1 channels from a "box." It has 1 coaxial digital audio and 1 optical digital audio. No HDMI hookups. I'm wanting to upgrade my dvd player (Xbox 360) to Bluray. Hooked up to my receiver I have an Xbox 360 in my optical digital audio and HD Direct TV hooked up in my coaxial digital audio. I also have a Wii (which I know isn't HD) and a Samsung HDTV LCD. I stopped in at Best Buy yesterday and asked what my best option would be to upgrade to Bluray without sacrificing the digital audio from my Xbox or my Direct TV or Bluray. The guy at Best Buy recommended going with a Yamaha 7.1 channel with audio upconversion, hooking everything up to the receiver and then running one HDMI cable to the TV for everything. My question is, am I going to be disappointed if I go with a 5.1 receiver rather than a 7.1 channel receiver for Bluray? I would like to keep things simple but don't want to pay a lot for simplicity. I've had 5.1 for 10 years and I'm perfectly happy with the surround sound experience. Any suggestions or advice? If you need more information, let me know!
Old 04-04-10, 12:03 PM

Re: Home Theater Questions?

Well sounds like you only have 5 speakers now,so you really don't need 7.1? Getting a new AVR that up converts would benefit you in a couple ways. 1st you run everything thru it and you only use one HDMI on the tv(simplicity).2nd you would benefit with the new AQ codecs. This is assuming the Xbox has HDMI and your HD Direct TV ? Only reason you might wait is if your interested in 3-D?
Old 04-04-10, 12:21 PM

Yes, I only have 5 speakers now and that's why I don't know if I upgraded to 7.1 will I be better in the long run. I've had 5.1 for 10 years and I'm perfectly happy with it, I don't want to be disappointed in the surround sound experience of Bluray if I get another 5.1 receiver. I guess if I have never heard 7.1 I don't know what I'm missing! As far as 3D, although really cool to watch it, I don't think I'll be getting that for awhile. As far as a budget, I'd like to stay under $500 for a new receiver. I don't have an HDMI cable for my Xbox, just component and optical audio.
Old 04-04-10, 03:14 PM

Well most people can't accommodate 7.1 and not much true 7.1 material anyway. I think you can easily find a decent AVR for under $500.
Here is an example of a decent AVR in your price range and it's 7.1 with a good upconversion chip in it:
http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.asp...DENAVR1910-OPN
Old 04-04-10, 04:11 PM

If there isn't a lot of material out with true 7.1 yet, why would someone purchase a receiver with 7.1? Does anyone have any advise on a 5.1 receiver then? How about Yamaha RX-V465? What does Sony, Onkyo, or Denon have to offer?
Old 04-04-10, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I assume your last name is Schrader and you were born in 64? Same last name here but I'm a few years older than you.

Although I've never had 7.1 myself, my understanding is that you need the correct set-up in the room to really benefit from the extra speakers. Not every room will benefit. There needs to be enough room between the speakers to notice. Again; I don't have 7.1 so I am strictly speaking from what I've gleaned from this forum over the years. Also as was previously stated, not many true 7.1 soundtracks out there. The main benefit to Blu-ray is that with the extra room on the disc, the audio track does not need to be compressed so with the right quality equipment, the sound will be truer to life than you ever thought possible.

If money was no object I'd splurge for the 7.1, however since most of us are on a budget, there is nothing wrong with a good 5.1 receiver that can handle all the HD soundtracks via HDMI. With additional monies I would make sure my 5 speakers are of good enough quality they can relay the fantastic sound to my ears vs. just adding a couple more speakers.

Jim Schrader
Old 04-04-10, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You all do realize that 5.1 receivers are becoming a thing of the past. You can use a 7.1 receiver with only 5 channels if necessary.
Old 04-04-10, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 409 Likes on 354 Posts

Unless your display is really far from your equipment, I think it is overrated to run everything through the receiver. 1st, I'm not 100% convinced that a $300 receiver is not going to degrade the video at least a little bit. 2nd, with todays remotes you can easy use your tv as the "switch" box seamlessly.

I actually think it is more simple to run video straight to the display and audio to the receiver.

But I know I'm probably in the minority.
Old 04-05-10, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Unless your display is really far from your equipment, I think it is overrated to run everything through the receiver. 1st, I'm not 100% convinced that a $300 receiver is not going to degrade the video at least a little bit. 2nd, with todays remotes you can easy use your tv as the "switch" box seamlessly.

I actually think it is more simple to run video straight to the display and audio to the receiver.

Sdallnct I think that would be nice but unless you have two HDMI outputs on your components(IE BD player,HD DVD player,SAT/cable Box,Xbox,Etc) you would have to run another cable to the AVR.
They are barely coming out with BD players with two HDMI outputs now(for 3-D ) and I don't care for 3D at all.
Nowadays you can get a decent AVR for $500 that will let you pass-thru your signal,so your picture would not degrade at all.
I sure wish I could do that with my OPPO BD player to my 51 Kuro

Last edited by SUPERMANROB; 04-05-10 at 11:59 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 04-05-10, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I run both of my DVD players in to my receiver and run one HDMI for the video to the TV. The only reason it is simpler is both the DVD players and the receiver sit in the same entertainment center while the TV is on the wall. If I wanted to run them straight to the TV I would have to fish an extra HDMI through the wall. My universal remote kicks the receiver to the correct HDMI output when I fire up the player.
Old 04-05-10, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

I don't necessarily disagree, but I would point out that the only way for this to work with lossless audio is to have a setup that supports analog outs or buy an HDMI splitter, which is just as likely to degrade the signal.
Old 04-05-10, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB
Sdallnct I think that would be nice but unless you have two HDMI outputs on your components(IE BD player,HD DVD player,SAT/cable Box,Xbox,Etc) you would have to run another cable to the AVR.
They are barely coming out with BD players with two HDMI outputs now(for 3-D ) and I don't care for 3D at all.
Nowadays you can get a decent AVR for $500 that will let you pass-thru your signal,so your picture would not degrade at all.
I sure wish I could do that with my OPPO BD player to my 51 Kuro
I guess I just don't see the issue with "running another cable to your AVR". Neither of my current receiver (home theater room or living room) have HDMI at all. And I don't miss it...at all. And I have a HD DVD player, PS3 and HD Dish in the theater, and a HD DVD player, and HD Dish in the living room (soon to add a BD/Netflix player).

Even the least expensive receivers typically have several audio inputs. So why not run video to your TV and audio to your receiver??

And before you ask, yes, I'm aware of lossless. But surly we are not going to talk about the importance of lossless on such basic set ups as this thread is talking. Are we? You would be a 100% better off upgrading speakers and/or sub than getting a new receiver just to get lossless audio. Now if you already have really nice speakers/sub then perhaps lossless is a nice upgrade. Maybe. But I didn't get that impression from the OP.
Old 04-05-10, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kefrank
I don't necessarily disagree, but I would point out that the only way for this to work with lossless audio is to have a setup that supports analog outs or buy an HDMI splitter, which is just as likely to degrade the signal.
Yea, agree. But see my previous post. Unless I missed something, I don't think lossless is a feature I'd be to worried about based on the OP's post.

Guess we could ask; Shrader64, are you trying to get lossless? What speakers do you currently have? Sub? Are you upgrading those as well??
Old 04-05-10, 07:20 PM

At this point, probably not going to upgrade the speakers for awhile. My current receiver only has 2 digital in for audio, coax and optical. I'm upgrading to BD and I don't want to lose the digital audio in either 3 of my components. As far as the number of speakers, I've listened to 5.1 channels for a decade and have been very pleased with it. I'm wanting to upgrade my receiver to one that has more digital in's so I don't have to pick and choose what to listen in digital or not.
Old 04-05-10, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, converging philosophies aside, any receiver in the $500 range should give you what you are looking for, plus be an upgrade in sound quality, plus offer other new features you may or may not choose to use. You want to make sure it has component-HDMI conversion, since you have component-only sources, and I think your best bet is definitely to just run everything to the receiver, then one HDMI to the TV from the receiver. You also mentioned the number of digital audio inputs, and this shouldn't be a problem at all. This should give you great quality for both audio and video. I'm speaking of the close-to-$500 range, here. If you drop down from that you may start dropping in quality.

That Denon would be a great choice if it converts from component to HDMI, which I'm not sure about. I think Yamaha is also making some nice receivers in this range, that Best Buy guy may actually have a good plan, shocking though that sounds to me. Onkyo is another popular choice for people upgrading from an in-the-box system like you are.
Old 04-05-10, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well I had typed out this long post about how for the first time ever I disagreed with Spiky. And then realized....I was Spiky was right....again...<sigh>...........LOL

I take back my previous post...

When you can get a Denon that does lossless for $350 (and I barely looked), there is really no reason not to go that route. Still think over kill for the OP's system and speakers, but at that price....might as well go for it...

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR590-5...0520851&sr=8-9

Or the Onkyo for $300 (tho not sure it converts video)

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR507...0521148&sr=1-4
Old 04-06-10, 03:11 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Am I the only person who would have reflexively slapped the sales man for saying "audio up-conversion"?
Old 04-06-10, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had assumed that was a typo. If it was the salesman, I'll hold him for you.
Old 04-06-10, 03:58 PM

Well I had typed out this long post about how for the first time ever I disagreed with Spiky. And then realized....I was Spiky was right....again...<sigh>...........LOL

I take back my previous post...

When you can get a Denon that does lossless for $350 (and I barely looked), there is really no reason not to go that route. Still think over kill for the OP's system and speakers, but at that price....might as well go for it...

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR590-5...0520851&sr=8-9

Or the Onkyo for $300 (tho not sure it converts video)

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR507...0521148&sr=1-4
For that price it would be worth it........don't you think the 1910 for an extra $47 would be a better buy? It has a better upcoversion chip and extra two channels.
Old 04-06-10, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the two I posted are overkill for the OP. So in that system, I don't see the point in spending the extra $47. But it certainly won't hurt if you got the money.

BTW, I'm not slamming the OP's system. I'm just hoping he changes his mind and upgrades his speakers. Tho in fairness, I don't know what he has. Only that he had a HTiB with a Sony receiver. So I'm assuming Sony speakers.
Old 04-07-10, 09:08 PM

BTW...so I decided a 5.1 system is good for me since I have never heard anything other than that. I decided on the Yamaha 465 and just got it today and hooked it up. Sounds great! Can't wait for the Bluray player to get here tomorrow!

I'm not thinking about doing it tomorrow or even sometime soon, if I was to upgrade my speakers, which ones would you start with first? Which brand/speakers are midrange, I don't want to go overkill but not bottom crap either...
Old 04-07-10, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by schrader64
BTW...so I decided a 5.1 system is good for me since I have never heard anything other than that. I decided on the Yamaha 465 and just got it today and hooked it up. Sounds great! Can't wait for the Bluray player to get here tomorrow!

I'm not thinking about doing it tomorrow or even sometime soon, if I was to upgrade my speakers, which ones would you start with first? Which brand/speakers are midrange, I don't want to go overkill but not bottom crap either...
So it sounds different than your previous receiver?

Nothing will effect the sound like speakers. Even "good" speakers sound different and you don't need "golden ears" to hear that difference. So you really need to listen on your own to decide the type you like.

But I would certainly start with the "usual" suspects; Paradigm, Klipsch (I'm not a fan, but big following), Celestion, KEF, Mirage, Boston, Polk (maybe), and maybe the SVS system (based on reputation and excellent sub).
Old 04-08-10, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've had Definitive Technologies for years and have always found them very satisfying. I'm also very familiar with Paradigm and those sound great as well. Since most of the sound comes from the center channel, that would be the one I would concentrate on first, then the fronts, rears and finally the sub. It is very important the 3 fronts are all matching, not so much with the rears and sub
Old 04-09-10, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Seems like a good deal as well...(stolen from slickdeals)

Denon AVR-1610 receiver shipped $287.28 ...super deal
EE has this reciver listed at $378 and apply coupon "LSDA0407B" to get the price for $287. I never saw lower price than this and this one is one heck of receiver!. Go get it.

http://www.electronics-expo.com/inde...&id=DENAVR1610