Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Subwoofer Connection Issue

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-10, 11:19 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other day, I switched receivers in my home theatre, from a Samsung 5.1 receiver (home theatre in a box) to a Sony 7.1 receiver. I'm still using the speakers that came with the Samsung home theatre system and they're all working incredibly well, except I've run into an issue with the sub. It's not working at all.

The sub has speaker wire output, but the receiver requires a coaxial (or RCA?) input. We've tried purchasing Nextech solderless phono plugs, but they haven't worked at all. All of the other speakers are perfect but the sub isn't active, even during test frequencies. I've also tried it with some video games, without any luck. I read the manual and it said to turn the sub on in the receiver's menu (by selecting 'Yes',) so I did that. However, it didn't make a difference.

The only two options we've thought of trying are using soldered phono plugs (maybe the solder-less ones were defective or they didn't offer a good enough connection?) or connecting an amp to the sub. I mention the latter idea because it seems like the subwoofer port in the receiver may not be powered. My sub isn't one that you plug in so my friend mentioned going that route with a 400w amplifier. That worries me though.

Are there any other options available? Maybe something easier that we haven't thought of? I can't afford to go out and buy another sub.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Sony receiver model number: STR-D6720/m

Samsung home theatre in a box model number: HT-Q40 N
Old 03-29-10, 11:35 AM
Suspended

Re: Subwoofer Connection Issue

wouldn't this work?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102955
Old 03-29-10, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Wick
The only two options we've thought of trying are using soldered phono plugs (maybe the solder-less ones were defective or they didn't offer a good enough connection?) or connecting an amp to the sub. I mention the latter idea because it seems like the subwoofer port in the receiver may not be powered. My sub isn't one that you plug in so my friend mentioned going that route with a 400w amplifier. That worries me though.
Since your sub isn't powered, it was getting its power from the old receiver. The new receiver only has outputs for a powered subwoofer. Adding an amp between the new receiver would be the way to provide power to your subwoofer, although I don't know how many watts it can handle.
Old 03-31-10, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread at HighDef Forum should help.

http://www.highdefforum.com/high-def...er-change.html
Old 05-03-10, 10:12 PM

An unpowered sub usually takes the L/R main speaker wires from the receiver and strips the low frequencies out and has L/R main speaker outputs for connection to the main speakers. Think of it as being between the receiver and the main L/R speakers. If this is the case, you set up the receiver for large/full range L/R main speakers and no subwoofer. That way, all the low frequencies go out in the main speaker outputs to be used by the in-line sub.