DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Tivo Premiere

Old 03-06-10, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Tivo Premiere

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
How did you get four tuners in there?
2 ATSC OTA tuners, 2 MPEG2 sat tuners.
Old 03-06-10, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by kayak99 View Post
Wanting to get rid of my present cable box I had a discussion with someone at Best Buy this evening who was talking up the new TIVO box. From what you guys describe it may not be worth the wait??

(I'm trying to record HD TV, output it to a hard drive then, as needed, move it to a portable Archos media player. My present HD cable box DVR allows no output to another drive.)
You can do that with any Tivo. You just have to install some software on your computer. You can opt either for the Tivo Desktop software or there are a number of other solutions as well. You can ultimately transfer and convert to simply play on your PC, or any portable device (ipod, psp, archos, etc.)

Edit to clarify: you can hook up a hard drive to the Tivo but I think that simply acts as an extender. But to do what you want to do, you simply do it over your local network. At the same time, you can also download things onto your computer and transfer them to your Tivo to play on your TV.
Old 03-06-10, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Slight correction:

Any non-DirecTV Tivo.
Old 03-06-10, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TLwizard View Post
You can do that with any Tivo. You just have to install some software on your computer. You can opt either for the Tivo Desktop software or there are a number of other solutions as well. You can ultimately transfer and convert to simply play on your PC, or any portable device (ipod, psp, archos, etc.)

Edit to clarify: you can hook up a hard drive to the Tivo but I think that simply acts as an extender. But to do what you want to do, you simply do it over your local network. At the same time, you can also download things onto your computer and transfer them to your Tivo to play on your TV.
Thanks, I'll look into one of those used boxes often for sale with lifetime subs. I was disappointed to learn my cable company DVR would not output as I needed.
Old 03-10-10, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Today's woot! is a Tivo
Old 03-10-10, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My big concern is that many cable companies are starting to roll out a new technology called Switched Digital Video that could cause problems with CableCARD installations on TiVo boxes. I don't want to have to get another box from Comcast to maintain compatibility.
Old 03-10-10, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Not impressed. Bought a Tivo HD XL last year. It holds 150 hours of HD, it's got 2 tuners, and it can download movies from Netflix and Amazon, videos from Youtube, etc. I won't be upgrading anytime soon.
Old 03-23-10, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Damn, I want one of these but after calling Cox just now they said they don't have 2-way cable cards, which she said would be necessary to get the on-demand content, or PPV and stuff like MLB Extra Innings. And she didn't know when the techmology might be available.

Last edited by Maxflier; 03-23-10 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-23-10, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just switch to satellite.
Old 03-24-10, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Maxflier View Post
Damn, I want one of these but after calling Cox just now they said they don't have 2-way cable cards, which she said would be necessary to get the on-demand content, or PPV and stuff like MLB Extra Innings. And she didn't know when the techmology might be available.
I have no issue ordering PPV or Espn game plan for my Tivo's. I have to use the Verizon website to order it -- but then my cards get an updated authorized channel listing within 5 - minutes. Either you got a uninformed rep (imagine that for cable cards) or Cox's system is ancient -- 50/50 chance on either :-)

-Tim
Old 03-24-10, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Hmm, maybe I will try calling back and see if I can get another rep.
Old 03-24-10, 01:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the Cox system might be ancient (in some ways) but new in other ways (that screws over Tivo users). When I got my first Tivo I was w/ Cox and they went into the whole can't use PPV thing (so ancient in that respect), but since I don't care about that it wasn't a big deal. However they were also switching over to the SDV thing (so new in that respect) which meant I was paying full price but not getting all the channels. I switched to FIOS and haven't had any complaints/problems since. Even w/ adding a second Tivo.
Old 03-25-10, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just cancelled my preorder. Reviews are coming in and this thing sounds like shit.
Old 03-25-10, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From the reviews, it sounds like they're shipping out a half-finished product with the intent of "we'll fix things later".
Old 03-25-10, 02:49 PM

That sucks... I was thinking about picking up a 3rd Tivo as part of my redoing my home entertainment layout (in another thread around here somewhere). Hopefully by the time I get around to it they will have some of the issues worked out. What are the problems BTW? Is it the new interface or performance or ???
Old 03-25-10, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The processor is dual-core, but they were having problems getting it to work so it's shipping only using a single core. They expect to update to make use of the second....which means it could be next month or next year or....

In the meantime, the UI is slow. The Series Manager still uses the old non-HD interface: you go back and forth between the new HD UI and the current one.
Old 03-25-10, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ooof. I had already decided a few weeks ago not to order the Premiere. This help reaffirm that decision.
Old 03-26-10, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

Here I was going to backtrack on my previous criticisms (which I think are still valid), becuase if you don't have a Series 3, then this would be a good "first" buy. Now it sounds like it's not. How can Tivo screw up this bad when they're positioned so well?? Somebody competent needs to buy them out.
Old 03-26-10, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

(Kisses my TiVo HD XL DVR )

I'm actually kind of glad I didn't become a holdout for a TiVo Premiere DVR. Sure, it may not have the "doodads" of the TiVo Premiere DVR, but at least my box has a reasonably reliable interface and does a great job recording HD content.
Old 03-26-10, 09:05 AM

um... I guess the question is now do I wait to see if they fix the Premiere or try to pick up one of the old HD models. BTW Tivo doesn't seem to be selling anything directly anymore except the Premiere. The old models are getting hard to find new so if you want one better grab one while you can.
Old 03-26-10, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nemein View Post
um... I guess the question is now do I wait to see if they fix the Premiere or try to pick up one of the old HD models. BTW Tivo doesn't seem to be selling anything directly anymore except the Premiere. The old models are getting hard to find new so if you want one better grab one while you can.
I'd just wait. If seems like a software fix could/will adddress the issue. Why buy outdated tech even if it works? You'll probably regret it in a year, especially with changes to infrastructure by the cable companies.
Old 03-26-10, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://gizmodo.com/5498459/tivo-prem...yline=true&s=i
Old 03-26-10, 07:43 PM

I've actually just ordered one to replace my old 40-hour Series 2 that has an annual plan due to the lifetime being transfered to my Series-3 when they came out. Main reason is to get the improved network speed it offers (transfers are always CPU bound on them).

-Tim
Old 03-26-10, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nemein View Post
I picked one up off of craigslist last summer. $20 cash for Series 2 Dual-tuner, 80hr.
Old 03-27-10, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Series 3 HD back on Woot.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.