Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Looking to add new 7.1 Receiver- any recommendations on the following?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 02-28-10, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got some great guidance from forum members on some recommendations for a reasonable set of +/- $500 speakers for my home theater setup. I went with the Polk Audio RM85 system (2 RM8 satellite, 2 RM7 satellite, 1 RM8 center, a PSW111 subwoofer and added 2 extra RM7 satellites to do 7.1). They sound pretty nice hooked up to my old but trusty Pioneer VSX509 5.1 receiver (circa 2000). The VSX509 does support a number of audio formats, but I would like to upgrade to something that supports HDMI connectivity, as well as TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.

Ive been intrigued by the specs of the Pioneer VSX-9040TXH which is well priced at Amazon and a few other online retailers, but cannot seem to figure out if Pioneer will honor the warranty given this model appears to be a re-badge of one of their Elite models (which must be bought in store to be warrantable). I could also go with the Pioneer VSX-1019AH, which seems to have good ratings as it is a higher end non-Elite model.

Other models I am considering are
-Onkyo TX-SR607 (have heard these run hot)
-Denon AVR 1910 (have heard Denon arent always the best sounding)
-Denon AVR 790
-Yamaha RX-V665 (have heard of potential conflicts with some cable boxes)

Do any you own any of these boxes, or would you recommend something I have not listed? I'd like to stay under $550 if possible, so am willing to make some sacrifices, but want 4 HDMI inputs as a minimum. I plan on an all HDMI hookup as I am not wiring in a phono, tape deck or older equipment (just Comcast cable, a Sony BR player and an upconverting Sony DVD player).

Opinions would be welcomed. Im sure this is a common enough question that many readers could benefit from shared opinions on the subject.
Old 02-28-10, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Looking to add new 7.1 Receiver- any recommendations on the following?

I've always heard good things about the Onkyo. I've got the 606 and love it! Right now it's running a 5.1 setup but I've had it doing 6.1, before. I think all receivers get warm after use. So what if it gets hot? So long as it still works, it's fine. Mine is in a cabinet with about 1" of clearance the top and sides, 1/2" on the bottom (just sitting on its feet) and an open back. The only thing I notice is the fan on the PS3 and that hasn't been a huge issue since I took the back off my cabinet.
Old 03-01-10, 06:34 AM

I have Onkyo, but a different model, and love it. If you don't close in the Onkyo, or sit anything on top of it, you should be ok. I've also read that heat problems came from having the HDMI Control Out set to "ON". This is used to control tv, or send sound to tv speakers (something like that), through HDMI. Turning it to "OFF" fixed the heat problem, from my understanding. Factory default is "ON", I think, so check that. My 805 is supposed to be a bad culprit for heat, but it barely gets warm.
Good luck!
Old 03-01-10, 11:48 AM

The 1910 is a good AVR and a good upconverting chip on it you can get it from Amazon or 6ave for $396.

http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.asp...DENAVR1910-OPN
Old 03-02-10, 12:20 PM

Hey Thespian, sorry about not responding sooner. I'm certainly not an expert audiophile but I have had my Klipsch system (F2 Fronts, C2 Center, S2 Surrounds, 12" Klipsch Sub) hooked up to both the Onkyo 607 and the Yamaha 665. Like you, I was hooking up multiple sources but all through HDMI.

I purchased the 665 first and was satisified but I love the 607. It does get warm (as did the Yamaha, as all likely do) but never have I felt like it runs too hot - and I have about the same amount of airflow/space that Shaun has. In fact, I'm slightly surprised it doesn't run hotter considering how much my roommates and I use it (and for prolonged periods of time).

The 607 has 1-2 more HDMI inputs I believe and one of those is located on the front of the unit. This has really come in handy for us when we want to hook up a laptop, etc. And although I'll state again that I am no audiophile, I feel like the Onkyo provided a fuller sound overall. If I recall correctly, the Onkyo is also heavier (power supply?) than the 665, which itself is lighter/"cheaper" than the Yamaha 663.

I don't think I have heard about the HDMI Control Out "switch" that emoxley mentions but I will check and see what I'm working with.

The AVS forum is a great place to read more user reviews but, seriously, beware! I spent countless hours digging through their threads and eventually realized that every receiver seems to have it's pros, cons, quirks, etc. It's a great place with helpful people - just don't get freaked out like I did when I began researching into my options!
Old 03-02-10, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB View Post
The 1910 is a good AVR and a good upconverting chip on it you can get it from Amazon or 6ave for $396.

http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.asp...DENAVR1910-OPN
I have this receiver and have no complaints. I think the complaints about audio quality are largely elitist when it comes to mid-range receivers. I bet the vast majority of even DVDTalkers couldn't tell the difference between any of these 4 receivers.

I say get the receiver that has the features you desire, if you save some money, get better speakers.
Old 03-04-10, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the Onkyo HT-160, which is the same as the 607 except it lacks the extra HDMI port on the front and the Sirius and XM hookups on the back. I think the heat issue is overblown a bit. It runs a bit hotter than my previous receiver, but it does so much more.

Just having 5 HDMI ports on the back of the unit (you'd have 6 total with the one on the front) is comforting as it means you have room to expand. It also has a universal port with supports their pretty sweet iPod Dock or an addon for HD Radio. About the only thing it lacks is 5.1/7.1 analog inputs if you happened to have a SACD or DVD-Audio player without HDMI.

Right now you could get the 607 for $399 at newegg, which is a steal.

Honestly I don't know much about the other options there, but I know you'd be very happy with the Onkyo, it's a solid unit, especially for $400.
Old 03-05-10, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks everyone for your input and guidance. After extensive research, I ended up buying the Onkyo TX-SR607 yesterday and so far am impressed. Easy set up, wicked sound, and the remote easily accepted my Sharp AQUOS TV, Scientific Atlanta (Comcast) cable box and 2 sony DVD/BR players. Between cleaning up the remote clutter and HDMI switching ease, even my wife has something to be happy about.