Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Is TrueHD or DTS HD Master Audio worth it on a 5.1 setup?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Is TrueHD or DTS HD Master Audio worth it on a 5.1 setup?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-10, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 413 Likes on 358 Posts
Re: Is TrueHD or DTS HD Master Audio worth it on a 5.1 setup?

Originally Posted by Thespian68
Thank you for the great suggestions. I see some great choices on Vanns and may decide to hit the Crutchfield store as its only a few hours from me.
These certainly aren't the end all be all. And there are other options out there. These were just examples that with a little effort you should be able to do a lot better sound while spending the same (or very close to the same) as a HTiB
Old 02-14-10, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276
Hey just wondering what everyone thinks of Def Techs subs. I have all def tech speakers except for my sub. Thinking about upgrading.
Overpriced. But then, most are overpriced. What is your budget? Now that I've felt real subs, I can't fathom spending under $400, which would be for a low-end HSU Research sub.

Originally Posted by cpgator
I have heard some people claiming they can hear the difference on TV speakers... but i personally believe you need at least a decent to good set of speaker to notice the difference.
Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
Has this even been done? Who in their right mind would use tv speakers in a 5.1 environment connected to a receiver capable of DTS: MA/TrueHD?
I think they would have meant TV speakers with Dolby vs TV speakers with Dolby TrueHD.

And yes, I think you could theoretically hear a difference. But mainly because different tracks on discs don't necessarily sound the same. It wouldn't be a major quality difference on TV speakers. Or cheap HT speakers, for that matter.
Old 03-05-10, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to thank everyone for their contributions to this thread. I went with the Polk Audio RM85 system (2 RM8 satellite, 2 RM7 satellite, 1 RM8 center, a PSW111 subwoofer and added 2 extra RM7 satellites to do 7.1), and also just bought an Onkyo TX-SR607 Receiver. So far, the combo is working great.