Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

dvd player suggestions please

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

dvd player suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-00, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi, i'm looking to buy a dvd player. i hope that you can help me. what should i look for in a dvd player...where should i buy one...that sort of stuff.

ok, thanx for any help
Old 07-27-00, 10:50 PM

You should look for one that has both DTS/DD outputs. I have a Panasonic A-115U and I have had no problem with it. I got it at Wal-Mart in January for $220.00. I think it should cost less, if not try to get one at a nearest Costco because they have players at low prices.

[This message has been edited by neo247 (edited July 27, 2000).]
Old 07-28-00, 03:54 AM

ok.....i'm goin to sound really stupid here...but what is dts/dd outputs and what is the point in having it on a player?
Old 07-28-00, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

quote:<HR>ok.....i'm goin to sound really stupid here...but what is dts/dd outputs and what is the point in having it on a player?
<HR>
Digital Theater Sound and Dolby Digital - two surround sound formats used on most DVDs of newer movies. As far as I know, all the newer DVD players on the market today feature both DD and DTS-compatible output. If you don't have a fancy surround sound system, it's not going to matter much to you.

If you're an unsophisticated user, a $200 player like the RCA I saw at Target would suit you fine. Higher-end players tend to have a bunch of costly bells and whistles like built-in DD decoders that the average person will never use. Take the money you save and spend it on some additions to your DVD library instead.

RD
Old 07-28-00, 09:45 PM
Cool New Member

I would go to cnet.com look under dvd and see more info on dvd players. The question is are you going to use dvd player with audio reciver that has a digital decoder or one with out? Without decoder you will not get the true dvd sound. So if your reciver does not have a decoder than you should buy a dvd player that has it. Sony dvp-560D and Sony dyp-530D both have Digital decoders and online shopping you can buy for around $250.00. Hope this helps
Old 07-28-00, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Other online resources:

dvdbuyingguide - primer .
Audioreview - extensive consumer review site - when you decide on which player - check the site out and see what other have to say .

Personally, I have to go with Pioneer(either the 333,535 or 434 model dvd players).

------------------
Give a guy a gun, he thinks he's Superman. Give him two and he thinks he's God.

My Addiction