Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

The oldest DVD play you own and does it still work?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

The oldest DVD play you own and does it still work?

Old 11-08-13, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 968 Likes on 776 Posts
Re: The oldest DVD play you own and does it still work?

Toshiba SD1600 for me also, purchased I believe in Nov. 2000 at 800.com for, I think, $169. Still works. Probably will long outlast the newest addition which is a Sony BDP-S1100 Blu-Ray player that I just bought for $35.
Old 11-22-13, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still use my Apex AD-1500. I purchased it at Circuit City in December 2001 for $79. It plays almost anything. Even when my Sony blu ray player or other Sony DVD player won't play a region free disc or a scuffed disc, this thing will!
Old 12-03-13, 01:55 PM

The oldest player I still have is my Sampo 631cf, which was purchased after I discovered a cheaper Sampo I'd bought (the 611?) was susceptible to overheating problems (as it lacked a fan). Luckily, the e-tailer let me swap.

Solid construction and was one of the best region-free players at the time, the user base actively customised the firmware and found hidden "loopholes" (such as manual switching between NTSC/PAL, turning off Macrovision, etc).

It never really "played nice" with DVD-Rs burnt from set-top boxes, though (the picture would "freeze" every minute or two randomly), so it got retired and replaced by Philips players until I went Blu-ray with Oppos.

I take it out for a spin once or twice a year, though, and still works great, but that could possibly be because it hasn't been in active use for quite a long time.
Old 12-05-13, 01:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I still have my Sony S7000 and that thing is a tank! It still works but I rarely use it. I only pop it out to show to friends who've never seen one before.
Old 12-06-13, 12:57 PM
Cool New Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Still have a five-disc Yamaha from 98 or 99. It still works but obviously does not understand what BR discs are! Amazingly the remote lacks only one feature that one might need and that is an on-off button. Does anyone make a multi-disc BR player these days (other than the rare 400 disce Sony)?
Old 12-06-13, 09:47 PM

RCA RC522OP form 1994, purchased with my graduation money for something like $450 I think. Still works! Use it in my bedroom.