Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Headphone solution for HT?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 01-06-10, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Samsung UN46B7000 LED and a newly purchased LG LHB977 HT system. I have my cable box and Wii running through the player, and the sound sounds great for everything.

My problem is that I live in a very small apartment and I like to keep the noise to a minimum late at night. I have a set of wireless headphones that I plug into the headphone jack audio out on the TV. They have always worked fine with my cable box and DVD hooked directly into the the TV, but now that I have my HT set up, I'm not getting any sound in my audio out on my TV. There's no headphone jack on my HT, and the only output is HDMI. Is there any way to jury rig the sound so I can still use my headphones? I'm thinking there must be some component I can run the HT signal through that will allow me to get an audio out?

I can't believe that I have this great new setup, but something as simple as my headphones no longer work... I checked the headphones with my Mac and they still work, so it's not a problem with them.
Old 01-06-10, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Headphone solution for HT?

I think you're screwed. The component that would allow this is a receiver. Which is kinda redundant.

Unless there are some headphone amps that are starting to have HDMI in, but that would cost as much as a receiver, anyway.
Old 01-06-10, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just thought I'd try to give some ideas; looking at the manual, the LHB977 has two output modes, either through the system speakers or through the speakers and the TV. If you get a speaker selector switch, you would be able to switch them off and use the headphones via the TV.

You can test this theory by unplugging all of the speakers and seeing if the audio coming out of your headphones via the TV and HDMI Audio ON setting with the LHB977 is to your liking. You should also test the WII to see if it bypasses the HDMI connection, which it shouldn't but you never know.

If that doesn't work, as in the sound from the TV is not great or the WII does bypass the HDMI, etc. you could go the longer route of getting the speaker selector to switch the speakers off and then getting a speaker to headphone converter. This method has the benefit of not needing to unplug the headphones from the TV.

Last edited by gmanca; 01-06-10 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-07-10, 01:17 PM

I can't believe I missed that I could turn the HDMI audio on - that worked! How embarrassing - right there in the Audio options - HDMI Audio "on". I turn down the vol on the speakers and pop on the headphones. I thought for some reason my HDMI was only sending video - there was no RCA audio out, so I thought I was screwed. Thanks man, you just saved this HT noob a lot of trouble.
Old 01-07-10, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Great, glad that worked out for you!