DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Audio connections (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/56714-audio-connections.html)

keith71 07-24-00 05:19 PM

I have several questions. I have only two
speakers in my audio system. If I connect
my DVD player to a receiver that has that
built-in Dolby Digital decoder,would I be
able to hear Dolby Digital sound in just two
speakers? And how would I connect my player?
Would I use that coaxial connector? Also,can
I listen to cds through that coaxial connection? Finally,during audio setup,would
I set Dolby Digital to Dolby DIgital,or that
downmix D-PCM ? Any help would be appreciated.

stevevt 07-24-00 05:41 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by keith71:
I have only two speakers in my audio system. If I connect
my DVD player to a receiver that has that
built-in Dolby Digital decoder,would I be
able to hear Dolby Digital sound in just two
speakers?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. You'd hear either Dolby Digital in 2-channel downmixed from 5.1 by your dvd player, or Dolby Digital in 2-channel if there's a 2-channel track on the dvd. Surround sound? Nope.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by keith71:
And how would I connect my player?
Would I use that coaxial connector?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can use the coaxial connector, or you could use the analog connectors (L+R), or both.

Also,can
I listen to cds through that coaxial connection?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. As long as you set up your dvd player to output a signal through it when you're playing cds.

Finally,during audio setup,would
I set Dolby Digital to Dolby DIgital,or that
downmix D-PCM ? Any help would be appreciated.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not clear if you're asking about the dvd player setup or your receiver's setup, but I'll assume you're talking about the dvd player. I would guess that you'd want to set this option to downmix D-PCM, since that'd make the player do what I describe above.

Good luck. More questions? Let us know.

-S

DodiN 07-24-00 05:51 PM

Make sure your receiver knows to use DD 2 channel or you'll just get part of the audio. Some don't do this automatically.

keith71 07-24-00 06:30 PM

Well,you answered all my questions,thanks.
One more thing:I've heard demos of 5.1 surround sound ,and it sounds great,of course. Do you think,though,if I upgrade to
at least 2 channel Dolby Digital sound,the
quality would be much better than the standard stereo sound I'm getting through
my old,non-Dolby Digital ready receiver? You
see,when I listen to DVD's through my old receiver,the stereo sound is clear and everthing,but it's hardly dynamic sounding.