Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Ideal size of room for a home theater set up

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Ideal size of room for a home theater set up

Old 07-24-00, 01:00 AM
Agg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am considering moving my home theater from my odd shaped 25 x 30 living room (because I can't get my speakers set up evenly) into a rectangle spare bedroom (11x12). Is this room too small? What is an ideal size?
Old 07-24-00, 03:28 AM

I don't know the ideal size, but I'd thought I'd let you know that I have my HT equipment set up in a similar sized room (12x13) to what your thinking of moving your things into (11x12). I think with everything being so close it enhances the surrounds, BUT I think it would sound more natural in a bigger room with the speakers spread out more. If you do switch rooms let us know how it sounds in comparison to the bigger room!
Old 07-24-00, 04:30 PM

There is such a thing as the "golden room ratio" which is the ratio (height x width x length) of a room that will provide the most ideal acoustics (smoothest bass response, reduces standing waves, etc.) They are:

Height___________Width__________Length
1______________1.14____________1.39
1______________1.28____________1.54
1______________1.6_____________2.33

Having a room adhere to one of these 3 scenarios results in the best natural room acoustics. You can change your rooms acoustics using furniture, carpeting, acoustic material, etc. to try to make an "non-ideal" room resemble the acoustics of a "golden room".

Screen size and seating position are also key in your room size. The Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE) recommends that the screen should be of a size that you will see 30 degrees of viewing angle side to side from where you are sitting. If we say that the horizontal (not diagonal) measurement of your television is "X", and the distance from your television to your seat is "Y", then the following formulas can be used to calculate the proper dimension for either one of these measurements: X = Y/1.8664 and Y = 1.8664 X.
So, for example, if you are purchasing a television, and the distance from your seat to where you will be placing the TV is 6 feet, then you solve the equation for X. X = 6/1.8664 = 3.21 feet or 38.6 inches. In practice, using the above formula results in a viewing distance that may be too close for many viewers.
A more reasonable number can be calculated using the principle of sitting back about 3 - 5 times the width of the TV. If that does not satisfy you, then just sit where you darn well please.

Your room size will affect the acoustics and limit the size of your TV (for ideal viewing), but it really comes down to what makes you happy and what makes you comfortable. If you are happy and comfortable and can fit everything in an 11x12 room, great.

------------------
"HEY, you lay a FINGER on me, I'll burn it down and piss on the ashes" - Shooter McGavin

[This message has been edited by ccoolidge (edited July 24, 2000).]