Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

My options....advice needed

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

My options....advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-00, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, I've decided to go the home theater route and I've narrowed down what I want to three different configurations.

1: Energy Take-5 with 8 inch woofer.

I really like the sound of this, but am concerned it will not fill my room enough (converted two-car garage). I can get them for $595 shipped, for the entire package.

2: JBL Northridge speakers with the N26 satellites and N-center, along with either a D112 JBL subwoofer or Energy ESL-8 sub.

These sound like a good deal for the price. I can get the JBL center and satellites for $350 shipped (6 inch woofers with 3/4 inch titanium tweeter). The JBL 12 inch sub would be $195 and the Energy 8 inch $225. I know I like the sound of the Energy, but I also like the sound of the JBL and it's cheaper. However, I have heard about some quality control issues with the JBL subs and this concerns me.

3: JBL Nortridge N310 mains, N-center, and N-24 or N-26 surrounds.

This configuration is appealing, because I wouldn't think I would need a sub. I think it would also fill the two-car converted garage quite nicely. I can get the 310 (dual 10 inch woofers) mains for $199 each, the N-center for $100, and the surrounds for $100-130 pair.

These are my options and I would appreciate any advise. Oh, I plan to use it with either a Sony DB-830 receiver ($319 at onecall) or a Yamaha 5250.

Thanks,

Bo.
Old 07-20-00, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't really have any input on the speaker choices, but no matter what you do, you SHOULD get a sub. Even if your mains are capable of decent bass output, the differences you'll notice with a sub are staggering.

Old 07-20-00, 11:14 PM

I've heard the Energy's but not the JBL's so I can't give advice as to which sounds better. Unless you really like to crank up the sound, all three options should be o.k. although I agree that a subwoofer is the best addition one can make to a hometheater.

Either brand's satallites with a powered sub will probably be loud enough for you. You may want to splurge on the energy 10" model. A better sub will be more impressive than better satallites. If your budget allows for a $500 sub, check out the Hsu research vtf-2. Excellent review from www.soundandvisionmag.com.

If you mainly listen to action movies at high volume, then option #3 with a later addition of a powered sub is your best bet.
Old 07-21-00, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

the above comment is correct.. The sub size may be the critical factor.. 10" woofer might be the ticket...

Another sub brand I recommend highly is velodyne.. (I have the 12" with my NHT satellites/center and love it)

Enjoy whatever you decide to get!!
Old 07-21-00, 06:14 PM

The bigger the sub the better, in your case. You'll have a fair amount of space if you are using a converted 2 car garage, and I'm afraid that you'll find that an 8" sub won't move as much air as you would like. Go for a 10", whether it be the JBL or the Energy (if you decide to spend the extra$$$). It will make all the difference when you sit down to watch an action movie.
Old 07-21-00, 06:53 PM

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to go ahead and get the JBL N26's (with plans to upgrade the mains later if this is inadequate - just $130 before shipping for N-26's) and N-center to go with an Energy 10" sub. I would go for the JBL 12" for $199, but think I'll spend more and go for the Energy for better quality.

All your input was appreciated.

Bo.
Old 07-21-00, 09:22 PM

Unless you're in a rush, I would research the subwoofer a little bit more. The 8" energy sub is a great performer, but as you move up the scale of subwoofers other brands start to look better.

If the 8" energy cost $225, how much more does the 10" costs? You really ought to look into other brands of subs. A 10" sub would be enough for your space, but a quality sub can go a long way and the Energy doesn't strike me as a great bargain at that price. M&K, Velodyne, Boston Acoustics, and Hsu Research make excellent subs.

The Hsu vtf-2 sub for $500 easily competes in both output and quality with subs costing twice as much. If you really want to splurge, you can get a definitive technology pf15tl 15" sub for a little over $500 (see www.audioreview.com reviews).

Speaking from experience, a powerful sub can be the diffrence between being happy with your system or always thinking "something's missing."
Old 07-23-00, 03:19 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by edclem:
I don't really have any input on the speaker choices, but no matter what you do, you SHOULD get a sub.
<HR>

Not necessarily.

If he'll be upgrading the system in the
future (anyone here who hasn't?), he can
get better mains now (e.g., Paradigm
Mini-monitor, NHT Super One, etc.), and
add a sub later for a win-win.

Getting the tiny Take 5 now, leaves no
uprade path, and certainly won't sound as
good as the above two models in the near
term.

I started my system in college, and had no
money
, and I am glad I bought better
components slowly, than average components
all at once. Buying wisely, and planning
ahead, saved me a fortune.

$.02

------------------
-------
DVD Toolkit | Audio 101 | Stereo411 (The Ultimate Audio Resource!)