Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Pioneer Elite BDP-23 FD hook up

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 12-15-09, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased BDP-23FD and was wondering how to hook up audio cables to receiver Onkyo TX-DS656. I hooked up the cables to the muti-channel input , center,front left, front right subwoofer, surround left and right.The problem I'm having is the instruction manual for the BDP-23-FD says do not connect to the surround back left and right terminals,for 5.1 compatible AV receiver. What do you do to get sound out of surround speakers? 6 cables on receiver to 4 connection on blu-ray player. Thanks
Old 12-16-09, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Pioneer Elite BDP-23 FD hook up

Can you use an optical cable instead?
Old 12-16-09, 09:06 AM

Yes, but I was told you get better sound with audio cables. I don't know if that's true. Thanks
Old 12-16-09, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

baloney. Use an optical cable and be done with it.
Old 12-16-09, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jerk08 View Post
Yes, but I was told you get better sound with audio cables. I don't know if that's true. Thanks
Sorry you were told this.

Use one optical cable to simplify the hookup and enjoy!
Old 12-16-09, 10:14 AM

I hooked up the cables to the muti-channel input , center,front left, front right subwoofer, surround left and right.The problem I'm having is the instruction manual for the BDP-23-FD says do not connect to the surround back left and right terminals,for 5.1 compatible AV receiver.
Wow! I can't believe you guys are telling him this. You're unbelievable!
You definitely get better sound from the multi-channel analog inputs. You can hear the Dolby TrueHD and dtsHD Master this way, from blu ray movies. That's not possible using an optical input! You can get the core DD and DTS using optical, but it's not as good as the HD audio.

The BD player has 7.1 multi-channel analog outputs. I'm not familiar with your model Onkyo receiver, but I'm guessing it only has 5.1 multi-channel analog inputs. The manual is telling you to forget about the surround back outputs (6th & 7th speaker), since your receiver doesn't have the corresponding inputs, since it's 5.1 instead of 7.1. Just connect the Front Left, Front Right, Center, Sub, Surround Left, and Surround Right to your receiver. Leave the Back Surround Left and Back Surround Right alone. Then, instead of pressing the "DVD" button, to watch a blu ray movie, use the "Multi-Channel" mode.

Most BD movies will default to the Dolby TrueHD or dtsHD Master soundtrack, but some don't. Those will default to the regular DD or DTS track, so you'll need to manually choose the HD audio track in the movie's menus on those.
Good luck and enjoy!
Old 12-16-09, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dolby TrueHD and dtsHD Master this way, from blu ray movies
I do not believe that his receiver can benefit from these signals. If so my apologies. If not, then I stand by my suggestion.
Old 12-16-09, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by emoxley View Post
Wow! I can't believe you guys are telling him this. You're unbelievable!
You definitely get better sound from the multi-channel analog inputs. You can hear the Dolby TrueHD and dtsHD Master this way, from blu ray movies. That's not possible using an optical input! You can get the core DD and DTS using optical, but it's not as good as the HD audio.

The BD player has 7.1 multi-channel analog outputs. I'm not familiar with your model Onkyo receiver, but I'm guessing it only has 5.1 multi-channel analog inputs. The manual is telling you to forget about the surround back outputs (6th & 7th speaker), since your receiver doesn't have the corresponding inputs, since it's 5.1 instead of 7.1. Just connect the Front Left, Front Right, Center, Sub, Surround Left, and Surround Right to your receiver. Leave the Back Surround Left and Back Surround Right alone. Then, instead of pressing the "DVD" button, to watch a blu ray movie, use the "Multi-Channel" mode.

Most BD movies will default to the Dolby TrueHD or dtsHD Master soundtrack, but some don't. Those will default to the regular DD or DTS track, so you'll need to manually choose the HD audio track in the movie's menus on those.
Good luck and enjoy!
Hey, I learned something. I thought the 2 added channels (going from 5.1 to 7.1) were the side channels not the rears.
Old 12-16-09, 01:37 PM

The manual says. When connecting to a 5.1-channel AV receiver or amplifier-Connect using 3 audio cables (do not connect to the surround back left and right terminals). so I connect front left & right, center,that's 3.know what do I do with the back surround speakers to get sound. THANKS
Old 12-16-09, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon View Post
I do not believe that his receiver can benefit from these signals. If so my apologies. If not, then I stand by my suggestion.
It makes no difference what receiver anyone has, when using the analog connections. Connected this way, the player is doing the processing. The only part the receiver plays, is for volume control.

How good his speakers are is really the deciding factor on if he's going to hear a big difference, a slight difference, or any difference. Since he never mentioned what speakers he has, we don't know what he's going to hear. Plus, we all hear different. He may have better hearing than either one of us.
Even if he doesn't have good speakers, the multi-channel analog is still the best way to connect. He may upgrade his speakers so he can hear a big difference.

I just couldn't believe that people that's supposed to be into home theater, and are here at the forums to give advice, are telling someone that optical is better than multi-channel analog connections, from a blu ray player. From a regular dvd player, optical or digital coax is definitely the better connection for movie listening. But, if a regular dvd player has those analog outputs, chances are it plays sacd and/or dvd-audio (which makes it a universal player), and the multi-channel analog is the only way to listen to them.

Originally Posted by jerk08
To be told this:
baloney. Use an optical cable and be done with it.
is just plain wrong! Baloney? Telling someone it's baloney, in this situation, is just plain lying to them.
Old 12-16-09, 02:21 PM

The manual says. When connecting to a 5.1-channel AV receiver or amplifier-Connect using 3 audio cables (do not connect to the surround back left and right terminals). so I connect front left & right, center,that's 3.know what do I do with the back surround speakers to get sound. THANKS
Your blu ray player has 7.1 multi-channel analog outputs. They should be labeled:
Front Left
Front Right
Center
Subwoofer or Sub
Surround Left
Surround Right
Surround Back Left
Surround Back Right
See page 17 of manual.

The manual is a little misleading, with the wording, but, if you look at the drawings of the connections, you'll see what I'm talking about. They are saying 3 cables, but 3 cables makes 6 connections, because each cable has a red and white rca connection at each end. They are taking it for granted you're using regular red & white RCA analog audio cables, for the connections.

So, I'll run you through the connections, step by step..........

Cable #1:
Connect the red connector on one end, to the "Front Left" output of the player. Then connect the red connector on the other end (same cable), to the "Front Left" input of the receiver.
Then connect the white connector (same cable), to the "Front Right" output of the player. Then the white connector at the other end (same cable), to the "Front Right" input of the receiver.
(See where this is going?)

Cable #2:
Connect the red connector on one end, to the "Center" output of the player. Then connect the red connector on the other end (same cable), to the "Center" input of the receiver. Then connect the white connector (same cable), to the "Subwoofer" output of the player. Then connect the white connector at the other end (same cable), to the "Subwoofer" input of the receiver.

Cable #3:
Connect the red connector on one end, to the "Surround Left" output of the player. Then connect the red connector on the other end (same cable), to the "Surround Left" input on the receiver. The connect the white connector (same cable),to the "Surround Right" output of the player. Then connect the white connector at the other end (same cable), to the "Surround Right" input of the receiver.

There you are! You used 3 cables, but made the 6 connections you needed. I, and others, use two sets of component cables for these connections. But since I'm set up for 7.1, I had to use an extra cable with mine.

I hope you understand now, what the manual meant by 3 cables?
If you followed my step by step instructions, you should be ready now, to listen to the HD audio soundtracks of blu ray movies. Remember to use the "Multi-Channel" mode, instead of the "DVD" mode, on the receiver, for watching movies.
Good luck!

Last edited by emoxley; 12-16-09 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-16-09, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It makes no difference what receiver anyone has, when using the analog connections. Connected this way, the player is doing the processing. The only part the receiver plays, is for volume control.
Then I stand corrected, thank you for your explanation
Old 12-16-09, 03:00 PM
X
Administrator

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Are you saying that even if the receiver can decode Dolby TrueHD or dtsHD that you should do it in the player instead of in the receiver? No consideration for the quality of the DACs in either piece of equipment? Or is it just because this particular receiver can't decode those signals?
Old 12-16-09, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by X View Post
Are you saying that even if the receiver can decode Dolby TrueHD or dtsHD that you should do it in the player instead of in the receiver? No consideration for the quality of the DACs in either piece of equipment? Or is it just because this particular receiver can't decode those signals?
Because this receiver, and any other one without HDMI, can't decode those signals. That's why BD player manufacturers put the multi-channel analog outputs on some players. So people with older receivers, that had the analog inputs and no HDMI, could enjoy the better soundtracks on blu ray movies. I guess they didn't want to force people to go buy new receivers. People would rather spend the extra $100 for the player with the analog outputs, than spend $400 or more for a new receiver. With a receiver that can decode the formats, HDMI is considered the best connection, because the receiver is doing the processing, therefore giving you bass management, that the analog connections don't give you, with most players and receivers. Also, since HDMI carries both audio and video, there's less cables behind the receiver, so no eagle's nest back there.

Oppo has the BDP-83 Universal blu ray player now. It has the multi-channel analog outputs, for people with older receivers. They also have the BDP-83SE now. This "Special Edition" Oppo has better DACs in it, but costs an extra $400. The improvements are only for the analog outputs (multi-channel & stereo) only. Folks using HDMI will see no improvement. Audiophiles will use the analog outputs, even if their receiver is HDMI and can decode the HD audio formats, because of the better DACs. I'm not an audiophile, so the BDP-83 was plenty good for me. I don't need the special edition.
Old 12-16-09, 08:12 PM

Emoxley is correct the 23 will decode the new codecs and send it thru the analoge outs to the AVR. I this case his AVR won't decode it but the 23 will. The only drawback is you wont be able to control the bass management in most cases,since most players don't have controls to control them. Your still better off using the the analoge outs then optical. THe majority of people won't notice anyway unless your running a real healthy system.
Look at it this way if your AVR does not have HDMI then it has to have the analoge inputs,if it doesn't have either it's a moot point , You can't take advantage of the new codecs.
Old 12-16-09, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon View Post
Then I stand corrected, thank you for your explanation
as do I
Old 12-17-09, 12:34 AM

Thanks for the advice.