Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Have a Bose wave radio - possible to add SD functionality for mp3s?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 12-13-09, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

I know everyone's view on BOSE, however, I happen to have a bose wave radio for its alarm clock use. It's the older model with buttons on the top, but happens to serve its purpose so I'm not planning on replacing it.

My question is if anyone knows any SD card reader functionality to add mp3 functionality to it? I listen to music quite a lot on it but only via CDs. I don't want to keep burning CDs for new music. I'd rather copy MP3s to an SD card and insert it into a device which connects to the wave radio. Is this possible? (i do not want to have to connect an ipod via aux to the wave radio)

I looked on their website for some additional accessories, but the accessories on there do not serve this purpose. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
Old 12-13-09, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Have a Bose wave radio - possible to add SD functionality for mp3s?

Originally Posted by MitzEclipse View Post
Hi All,

I know everyone's view on BOSE, however, I happen to have a bose wave radio for its alarm clock use. It's the older model with buttons on the top, but happens to serve its purpose so I'm not planning on replacing it.

My question is if anyone knows any SD card reader functionality to add mp3 functionality to it? I listen to music quite a lot on it but only via CDs. I don't want to keep burning CDs for new music. I'd rather copy MP3s to an SD card and insert it into a device which connects to the wave radio. Is this possible? (i do not want to have to connect an ipod via aux to the wave radio)

I looked on their website for some additional accessories, but the accessories on there do not serve this purpose. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
Well, I was going to answer this, but on closer read, you parenthetically cancelled any possible answer. The Wave does not have Bluetooth or anything BUT the aux input to do what you want.
Old 12-13-09, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky View Post
Well, I was going to answer this, but on closer read, you parenthetically cancelled any possible answer. The Wave does not have Bluetooth or anything BUT the aux input to do what you want.
Thanks for the response. I'm not against any aux input, however, I just don't want to have to shell out for another iPod to simply keep connected to the wave radio. Main reason is the ipod docks for the wave radio are quite expensive, unless there is an aftermarket option which serves the purpose?
Old 12-13-09, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It doesn't have to be an iPod, there are far cheaper MP3 players, and many that will take an SD card if you really want to go that route. You would simply need the correct wire to go from the headphone output to the input on the Wave. Although you would want to be careful about the volume level set in the player, find the right spot and leave it there so nothing gets damaged.

However, a better option might be an Airport Express at $100. (less if you can find one in Apple's refurb section or if you trust Ebay) This would save a step and simply give you access to your entire iTunes library. You'd need the same wire in this scenario.

A wire like this, although Monoprice's "premium" audio cables aren't that great.

Last edited by Spiky; 12-13-09 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-14-09, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't see how a $100 device is a better option over a $2 cord that solves the problem lol. But hey he has bose he's used to wasting money.
Old 12-14-09, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

True, if the PC is near the Wave. Somehow I didn't think of that.

Otherwise, he does need something to plug into the other end, you know.
Old 12-15-09, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Well his whole logic confuses me. Shell out for another ipod to keep connected. What is so hard about just taking the already owned ipod leaving the mini plug jack in the radio full time and just picking up a tiny ipod and plugging in the mini jack into the ipod.

This all seems like madness to me lol. I mean what the heck do you think the rca inputs are there for in the first place. The real answer if dump the bose and buy a zune.
Old 12-15-09, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

buy an older model iPod off eBay that has battery issues. you can get one for cheap and since it will be connected all the time to a power source, who cares? they cost as much as an SD card.
Old 12-15-09, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post
Well his whole logic confuses me.
This is why I suggested the Airport. It simply turns a bookshelf system into an extension of the iTunes library. No plugging, unplugging, copying to SD cards, whatever.
Old 12-20-09, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SoSpacey View Post
buy an older model iPod off eBay that has battery issues. you can get one for cheap and since it will be connected all the time to a power source, who cares? they cost as much as an SD card.
This is because I don't want to have to sync an ipod to copy new songs. An SD card is easier as I can just drag and drop.

I don't want to use an airport itunes solution as I use a laptop without a set desk setup so I often turn it off.
Old 12-20-09, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, there's plenty. Just do a search for "MP3 SD".