Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Blu-Ray Player W/ On-board DACS and DVD?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-09, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I plan on getting a Blu-ray player this Christmas (this one) and I don't have an HD display. But I can take advantage of loss-less audio due to the player having on-board decoding and analog outs. My current receiver - Pioneer SC-07 - is more than up to date.

But my question relates to DVDs. Since the BR player is geared to processing HD audio streams, is it standard for decoding "older" DVD audio formats (DD5.1 / DTS) for output via analog? Or will I have to run a optical/coaxial line out for receiver processing?

I do see the logos for the DVD audio formats listed but it's not enough to convince me that pertains to the on-board decoding.

Thanks for any input.
Old 12-09-09, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Blu-Ray Player W/ On-board DACS and DVD?

HDMI will take care of it all for you. BR players can decode all old formats. Sometimes they may not decode DTS, but even that would be rare now. Your receiver does them all though.

But why hook up the BR player through analog? I would assume the DAC in your Pioneer receiver will be better than the DAC in your BR player. If nothing else, it may be the same DAC since they are both Pioneer.

You would be better off just connecting through HDMI only instead of running all of those analog cables. And I would rather your player simply send the info to the receiver and let it do the decoding.
Old 12-09-09, 01:33 PM

confirmed - both your player and receiver have Wolfson DACs. Just use HDMI.
Old 12-09-09, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the help. But the point is that I only have an analog television and will not upgrade to a HD display (plasma) for some time. Due to this, I assume HDMI is out the window because I don't think I can run the AV through HDMI and then output the video stream through another means from the receiver to the display. But I could be completely wrong.

And yes, both have Wolfson DACs.
Old 12-09-09, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by visitor Q
Thanks for the help. But the point is that I only have an analog television and will not upgrade to a HD display (plasma) for some time. Due to this, I assume HDMI is out the window because I don't think I can run the AV through HDMI and then output the video stream through another means from the receiver to the display. But I could be completely wrong.

your case is a rare one because so many people have a display before they go Blu.

my guess would be that there is a way to send both audio and video to the receiver with HDMI and then send the video to your television.
Old 12-10-09, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Alright, so we'll call that option 2.

But I'm still curious if option 1 is possible ...DVD audio processing of standard formats by player sent analog (opposed to digitally via optical/coaxial) to receiver.
Old 12-10-09, 08:59 AM

Alright, so we'll call that option 2.

But I'm still curious if option 1 is possible ...DVD audio processing of standard formats by player sent analog (opposed to digitally via optical/coaxial) to receiver.
option one is possible. the pioneer player has analog outs and the receiver has analog in.

you would then just run your video as a separate cable.

it's the same concept as a lot of people who have an HD display and a receiver that does not process HD audio or accept it. they just set up their player using analog out and connect the display using hdmi. you would just not use hdmi and use the proper connection for the analog display.
Old 12-10-09, 10:51 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Can you output HDMI to your receiver for audio and simultaneously output analog video from the player to your display?
Old 12-10-09, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I actually don't have the player yet so I haven't been able to test the - Player/HDMI > Receiver/analog video > display - theory. I haven't been able to find any info about it online yet and haven't contacted the manufacturer.

All info I've come across thus far has pointed to HDMI for A/V all the way through the chain.
Old 12-10-09, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

This is a fun one!

I vote: It can't be done.

Please let us know what happens.
Old 12-10-09, 05:14 PM

I own the Pioneer SC-07 (sweet unit, by the way), and it will let you downconvert to video via any output. It should be no problem to just connect the HDMI output from the Blu-ray player into the SC-07, and then just connect S-Video or video cable from the monitor out jacks on the back of the SC-07 to your TV. See page 20 of your manual.
You may have to utilize the setup function of your unit.
Old 12-10-09, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Does the Pioneer SC-07 have a HDCP stripper?
Old 12-10-09, 07:05 PM

Hi,

I plan on getting a Blu-ray player this Christmas (this one) and I don't have an HD display. But I can take advantage of loss-less audio due to the player having on-board decoding and analog outs. My current receiver - Pioneer SC-07 - is more than up to date.

But my question relates to DVDs. Since the BR player is geared to processing HD audio streams, is it standard for decoding "older" DVD audio formats (DD5.1 / DTS) for output via analog? Or will I have to run a optical/coaxial line out for receiver processing?

I do see the logos for the DVD audio formats listed but it's not enough to convince me that pertains to the on-board decoding.

Thanks for any input.
Q did you take a look at the 320? It's cheaper and it's the newer version of the 51.
Old 12-10-09, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jackson walker
I own the Pioneer SC-07 (sweet unit, by the way), and it will let you downconvert to video via any output. It should be no problem to just connect the HDMI output from the Blu-ray player into the SC-07, and then just connect S-Video or video cable from the monitor out jacks on the back of the SC-07 to your TV. See page 20 of your manual.
You may have to utilize the setup function of your unit.
Reading the Receiver manual is highly over-rated it seems. Heh ...I'll check into this this weekend. That would be good news and open up a wider range of player options. Thanks.

Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB
Q did you take a look at the 320? It's cheaper and it's the newer version of the 51.
Thanks for rec - I'll have to check into this. Unless Pioneer has released a firmware upgrade for the 320 which apparently corrects the load time substantially on the 51 then I'd rather pay the extra $50 for that "convenience".

Last edited by visitor Q; 12-10-09 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-10-09, 11:14 PM

Reading the Receiver manual is highly over-rated it seems. Heh ...I'll check into this this weekend. That would be good news and open up a wider range of player options. Thanks.

Thanks for rec - I'll have to check into this. Unless Pioneer has released a firmware upgrade for the 320 which apparently corrects the load time substantially on the 51 then I'd rather pay the extra $50 for that "convenience".
Ok well you might want to read this chart and thread,it will help you out picking one:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1156535