Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

First plasma-should I use the "zoom" features?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 11-30-09, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about to get my first plasma and don't know a lot about burn-in. Some people say it's not much of a concern, others complain it's happened even with the Panasonic feature that's supposed to prevent it automatically.

On my Rear Projection, I always used the Normal setting for movies. Which meant that I always got black bars on tv shows (sides) and movies (top and bottom) that weren't around 1.85:1 and filled the screen.

Some people recommended that I use the Theater Wide settings (zoom) even on a film like Gladiator to avoid eventual burn-in, but I never did. I liked the bars and I don't want to make anything look artificial or lose anything from the image.

With tv shows not in HD, I used a feature on my cable remote which expanded the picture to fill the screen and makes people look a bit odd and fat, only because there was and still is so much 4:3 tv still broadcasted and I figured burn-in was more likely on the sides. 4 1/2 years later and there's still a small hint of it, but only on the sides. The only image of 4:3 standard that I didn't alter was for a classic movie that wasn't widescreen.

Should my habits change with a plasma? Should I try and fill the screen as often as possible, which would including stretching 4:3 tv shows when I watch them, but also zooming into aspect ratios that leave you with bars on the bottom and top?

Over time, will enough of those movies, if I don't zoom in and take away the black bars on my movies that have them make me more at risk for burn-in?

Basically, is the rule for plasma, try to fill the screen as much as possible?

Thanks.
Old 12-01-09, 03:04 AM

Re: First plasma-should I use the "zoom" features?

While most claim it doesn't happen (or is very unlikely), I always see people popping in with proof that it happened to them. Most of the time they're people watching unscretched 4:3 or 2.35:1, 2.40:1, etc.. and they notice that where the 'black bars' are on this content, they now display lighter or darker in these areas than the rest of the TV when watching 16:9 content.

I just purchased my first plasma a few weeks ago and have been restricting it to 16:9 content only for the first so-many hours. 4:3 stretched is fine with me, but 2.35:1 zoomed doesn't work as you lose so much content. My plan is to stick with 16:9 for the first month or two (watching any older movies I have in that format) and then gradually using other ratios mixed in with 16:9 (so watch a 2.35:1 movie, then next use 16:9 content). It's probably unnecessary, but I figure in the beginning it's worth playing it safe. Some recommend 16:9 only for the first 200 hours.
Old 12-01-09, 12:31 PM

Rule of thumb is to keep the screen filled for the first 100 hours to break in the set evenly. Beyond that you can use proper aspect ratios.
Old 12-02-09, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

what about lcd? is burn in a problem for them too?
Old 12-02-09, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks. So much to worry about the better technology gets!

100 hours for the bedroom tv means we're going to have to just start watching some HD programs in there, normally watched in the living rooms or we'll get to the 100 hour mark in 3-5 months (which would suck).

For now, we're leaving the standard tv in room as well to watch anything that doesn't naturally fill the screen. We'll move it to the spare room once we're safely past the 100 hour mark.
Old 12-02-09, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Saw this pop up today: http://hdguru.com/plasma-tv-burn-in-fact-or-myth/826/
Old 12-03-09, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 93 Likes on 75 Posts

Getting past 100 hours would be easier if you just ran it continuously- it'd only take about 11 days if you did that.

I'm not sold on plasmas though- I saw a TV at a store recently tuned to TV broadcasts, and saw black side bars burned into the screen as well as a Fox affiliate bug (reason why I don't watch TV, but that's another story.) I don't want to have to worry about burn-in on anything other than my brain.
Old 12-03-09, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Getting past 100 hours would be easier if you just ran it continuously- it'd only take about 11 days if you did that.

I'm not sold on plasmas though- I saw a TV at a store recently tuned to TV broadcasts, and saw black side bars burned into the screen as well as a Fox affiliate bug (reason why I don't watch TV, but that's another story.) I don't want to have to worry about burn-in on anything other than my brain.
24 (hours) x 11 (days) = 264 hours. I broke in my plasma by running it for 4 days straight.

Seeing any TV in a store should never sell you. Those aren't normal viewing conditions.

Last week I was in a Best Buy. They had a 50" Panasonic S1 on sale for $899. At this price, they don't make much money on it. Some guy was staring at it and asked me if it looked darker and lacked the pop the TVs around it had.

I went on AVS and grabbed the setting, changed them to the recommended settings, and he bought the TV. Coincidentally, all of the TVs around it were normal price and BB makes more money on them. Do they really want you to buy the set that is basically a loss leader? No. They want you to come in looking for that set and buy the one that looks better on the wall and that they make more money on.

I know this is a slightly different situation than yours, but it is a similar concept. Never judge a TV by the way it looks in a store.
Old 12-03-09, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

PS - LCD manufacturers also warn about burn in.

And I have told this story before but I will say it again. 6 months after getting my Panny 50" 720p I paused my Tivo to take a phone call. I completely forgot to go back to it and went to sleep. The TV was paused for 14 hours. I unpaused it and noticed some image retention. I left it on and running and within 2 hours is completely gone. There is absolutely no trace of burn in on my TV.

And image retention is different than burn in. Retention fixes itself and burn-in does not. If that situation didn't cause burn-in, what would?
Old 12-03-09, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SoSpacey View Post
PS - LCD manufacturers also warn about burn in.

And I have told this story before but I will say it again. 6 months after getting my Panny 50" 720p I paused my Tivo to take a phone call. I completely forgot to go back to it and went to sleep. The TV was paused for 14 hours. I unpaused it and noticed some image retention. I left it on and running and within 2 hours is completely gone. There is absolutely no trace of burn in on my TV.

And image retention is different than burn in. Retention fixes itself and burn-in does not. If that situation didn't cause burn-in, what would?
Those points you made are the exact same ones made in the HDGuru link I posted above. I think it goes to show yet again how much misinformation and misuse of terminology there is.
Old 12-03-09, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SoSpacey View Post
24 (hours) x 11 (days) = 264 hours. I broke in my plasma by running it for 4 days straight.

Seeing any TV in a store should never sell you. Those aren't normal viewing conditions.

Last week I was in a Best Buy. They had a 50" Panasonic S1 on sale for $899. At this price, they don't make much money on it. Some guy was staring at it and asked me if it looked darker and lacked the pop the TVs around it had.

I went on AVS and grabbed the setting, changed them to the recommended settings, and he bought the TV. Coincidentally, all of the TVs around it were normal price and BB makes more money on them. Do they really want you to buy the set that is basically a loss leader? No. They want you to come in looking for that set and buy the one that looks better on the wall and that they make more money on.

I know this is a slightly different situation than yours, but it is a similar concept. Never judge a TV by the way it looks in a store.
Do you think the settings you used and got from AVS would be the same as the ones they recommend at CNET?

I'm really not sure what to do, so I was planning on using the CNET ones as a jumping off point for my 42" S1.

Any chance someone could tell me if the Panny uses the same name in the article to be safe? The "home" mode to be extra careful on the burn-in issue. Is that what I should be looking for, HOME mode? I pick it up tomorrow.

This is what CNET has:

Picture mode: Cinema
Contrast: +55
Brightness: +63
Color: +32
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0
Color temp: Warm
C.A.T.S.: Off
Video NR: Off
Zoom adjustments: [grayed out]

-Advanced picture submenu