Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I have a blu-ray player question need info

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-09, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking of getting a Panasonic BD60K blu-ray player what cables do I need to connect to my Panasonic plasma and what will I need to connect to have firmware updates and to be connected to the internet I use a laptop and a router and a modem fron time warner. I think I need a HDMI cable bit not sure of the other thanks for your help.
Old 11-29-09, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: I have a blu-ray player question need info

HDMI for audio/video. Ethernet cable from router to BluRay player. If you have a receiver you'll need to connect differently.
Old 11-29-09, 10:03 PM

Thanks alot I appreciate it. Happy Holidays
Old 11-29-09, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You're fine as long as you don't mind your modem and router in the living room or bedroom (wherever you're putting this).

I have enough equipment out in my living room already and don't really use online features yet (they still suck imho) and Sony firmware updates aren't often enough that I want that stuff in my living room.

So, for me, the router and modem are in my office and I got the Sony Wi-Fi player for my main home theater tv and will use my 1 year old Sony blu-ray player in the bedroom where if we miss an update or 2 for a while (until I bother with burning a disc) it won't be a big deal.

If you don't want them modem and router out there, I'm not nearly as tech savvy as most of the people in this forum, but I think there's something you can plug into the back of your panny bd player that will connect it to your network (dongle? bridge?). But you have to buy that separately.

Good luck.
Old 11-30-09, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ethernet can run a long way. So you don't have to actually have the router with the TV, just a CAT5 cable run to it. And there are also wireless access points that could be used, many people like that route although setup is more difficult.