DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Good rear speakers

Old 07-16-00, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking of buying a good rear speakers for my home theater setup, but I have no idea
which one is good speakers.
Can anybody give me a suggestion for rear speakers, brand or model number?
Old 07-16-00, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I currently have a pair of Bose 201 as my surrounds....I personally would like to get a pair of powered speakers in the future. As far as recommendations, I would audition speakers maybe at your local audio/video retailer or even Circuit City. Circuit City has a policy which allows a buyer to trade up a set of speakers purchased within one year from the date of sale. I am sure other places probably work with you also in regards to keeping a satisfied customer coming back again and again so do a little footwork and test out a couple of stores.
Old 07-16-00, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Your best bet is to buy the exact same speakers for the rears as you have for the fronts. This will give the the smoothest surround sound.

------------------
------------------
My DVD/LD List
My Home Theater Equipment
Old 07-16-00, 10:32 PM

Mirage OM-R2s. I am a proponent of multidirectional surrounds but I'm not warm to the idea of sound firing front and back - as is the case with conventional bipolar and dipolar surrounds. Which is why these Mirages suit me (almost) perfectly. Sound is fired front and back but at an angle. Some people believe surrounds should be diffuse and others like theirs localized. These speaker splits the difference and does an excellent job!!

Why "almost"? I need another sub for the back of the room so I can run the rears full range.
Old 07-17-00, 02:14 AM

For rear speakers, keep in mind that the best place to put them determines what type you should get. Regardless of what you do get, they should be about 6 feet above the ground. Surrounds in home theater is about getting a diffuse ambience, while music is more about imaging. In either case, having the speakers up on the wall usually yields the best results for surrounds.

If the speakers are going to be directly to the sides of your listening position, then you should get dipole speakers. If they are going to be behind the listening position then you'll want direct radiating speakers (Preferably a very close match to your mains, perhaps a smaller version with similar tweeter/midrange.)

Of course, the actual layout of your room will determine what's best, so look around to get an idea of the layout of your room and visit an audio dealer who can give a better idea of what will work in your room.
Old 07-17-00, 04:46 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

For nice small rears, I recommend the Energy Take 2 speakers. They're great for the front and back, but I would figure they would work well w/other speakers.

------------------
[email protected]
Old 07-17-00, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 243 Likes on 175 Posts
I just upgraded my rears to Cambridge Sound work 5.II's which have the option of Bipole and Dipole (Best I can explain is bipole is non reflected sound and dipole is difuse reflectred sound) and they sound pretty good. CSW has been having a warehouse sale for a while and I was able to pick up a pair of refurbished 5.II for around $100 which is more than half off of the regular price.
Old 07-18-00, 10:22 AM
Cool New Member

I would agree with matching the fronts (you didn't tell us what you have). If you're not going to do that it may not matter how good the rears are - or how good they need to be.