DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Please help with an HDTV suggestion for bedroom. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/564899-please-help-hdtv-suggestion-bedroom.html)

dolphinboy 11-16-09 05:10 PM

Please help with an HDTV suggestion for bedroom.

I did this last year and the consensus was the entry level 42" Panny. I think it was the 80U or something like that and it went on sale over the holidays, I believe it was cyber Monday, for $599 and I was stupid and thought I'd do better. I never did, the price went back up, and I've regretted not buying it. Big time.

We do not use our bedroom TV much at all. 5 hours or so per week now. Yes, it will go up some if we upgrade, but not a ton. We do plan to add another HD cable box and will add a BD player. But the BD player is mostly because we want the choice, not because we're going for the home theater thing in the bedroom. There will never be a receiver or speakers added to this.

We want something at 40-42 inches. I'm not a big fan of LCDs, but saw a Sony Bravia 40" and would consider it, but I really prefer the look of plasmas. The leader right now is the Panasonic entry level again, the Viera S1. That's going for $797 at Amazon now and I'm hoping to see it go down during a holiday sale. The next model up, is the G10 and I'd like it, but with the extra money saved by getting the lower priced model, I can pay for BD player. Budget is a major concern. It would be best if there was a Panny plasma at 40", but that's not an option.

I'm still a little lost about what's best for 24p and what to do to avoid flickering and, yes, the G10 also has the THX mode which CNET seemed to like a lot, but the reviews are of the S1 are still solid and I think it has a better chance of being discounted more.

I'm also wondering about the speakers, because they're mixed reviews about the ones on the Panny that face down. Will it, at least, sound as good as our old Sony tube tv its replacing (the speakers face out)? Because that is plenty good enough for bedroom viewing of HD cable and any kind of DVD in the bedroom.

Does anyone else have a suggestion, because I HAVE to pull the trigger this year? Anyone really think that if we go with the Panny that the speakers won't even cut it as good enough for medium bedroom use or does anyone think the entry level Panny is not as good as something else I'm not even considering? Finally, if the entry level Panny is the choice, do you think I'm right to think it has a good chance of being one of the models we see go on sale on cyber monday or around the holidays, like the entry level Panny did last year? I've seen that this might be $650 on BF, but it's a rumor.

Many thanks to anyone who helps here. And I should have listened to you last year and will listen this year.

dolphinboy 11-17-09 03:53 AM

Re: Please help with an HDTV suggestion for bedroom.

PLEASE can anyone help!

I just read that Sears will have the S1 (the entry level Panny) for $649.99 as a doorbuster price.

If Amazon price matches (anyone think they will?) or even goes under $700 with free shipping and no taxes, is that just about as good of a deal as you can expect on a quality 1080p 42" plasma?

No THX or any other of the "bells and whistles" but I've never gotten a plasma, so can I get any feedback on this model, the price. I'm really hoping to get this done after screwing up last year.

Thanks.

Brian Shannon 11-17-09 06:48 AM

I'm confused. You quote alot of specs and then say you will use this tv less than 5 hours per week.

Where is your indecision? Yes the Panasonic is a good tv, no I don't know if/when it will be on sale.

Superman07 11-17-09 12:21 PM

I thought the entry level Panny was going for around $550 these days on Amazon?

Also, if you need another Blu-ray player look into the Panasonic deals on Amazon. You can buy one of their sets and get the BD-60 for free (or more accurately buy both an get an automatic discount).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...d_i=B001UE6M8O

It is $800, but that's the 1080p model not one of the 720p models (which are in the $500-600 range), but you get the ~$130 BR player "free".

dolphinboy 11-17-09 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon (Post 9840146)
I'm confused. You quote alot of specs and then say you will use this tv less than 5 hours per week.

Actually, I don't "say" that at all. I write that that's how much we use our current NON-HD tv. I write that viewing will go up with the new one.

A LOT of specs? Really? Anything about 720p vs. 1080p? Anything about 24p and "setting" your refresh rate higher? Anything about LCDs? The lack of settings on the entry level plasma S1?

All of which I know little to nothing about OR don't completeley understand from the research that I've done.

I know "a lot" because I've copied a few model numbers down. Oh boy!

But thank you so much for helping me pick out a tv. What a nice, helpful forum this is.

Brian Shannon 11-18-09 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by dolphinboy (Post 9841330)
But thank you so much for helping me pick out a tv. What a nice, helpful forum this is.

I apologize for not understanding your questions, perhaps someone else will be able to provide better suggestions.

Best of luck in your search for a bedroom tv.

Spiky 11-18-09 04:10 PM

Well, I haven't sat down and compared the two models you are considering. Probably most of us haven't, and you are asking very specific questions. But here's some basic concepts.

1080 is going to help more if you are closer to the TV. But it can cost an inflated amount more, and budget is always a concern. In my bedroom, I end up sitting anywhere from 3-9' away. 1080 would have been nice as I can see pixels at 3'. But we didn't feel like paying $100 more for our 32", so we went with a 720 model, we were already $100 higher for a quality brand. I don't sit that close that much, anyway.

24p is really not THAT special, and only matters at all for true 24p sources. This is one of those things that people went ape-shit over, just like 1080p, for no real reason, and mostly from seeing specs online. Like: "OMFG, you can't buy that, it's NOT 24P!!!" I'm guessing the bedroom is more of a TV-channel place than Bluray, so how much actual 24p would you watch? I'd recommend actually looking at TVs in this mode during shopping, or not worrying about it too much.

"Modes" like THX or 48Hz are typically gimmicky. I'm not sure what the purpose of 48Hz is for TV viewing. Double 24p? Ok, yeah, I can multiply by 2, too....don't see what that has to do with watching a TV. THX on the G10 is really just a video setting. Probably has Vivid, THX, Standard, Game, etc. The lower end Panny probably has a Cinema setting that is similar to the THX, my Panny LCD does. Any of these can (and should) be tweaked. No doubt finding the service menu would help someone who really wanted to calibrate any TV.

Interesting note, cnet claims that the THX mode on the G10 lowers the lumen output too much. But then they say it was 28 ft-L, which is higher than it should be. They want it to be 40 ft-L, when THX and SMPTE agree that 16 ft-L is proper. I'm probably going to trust THX and SMPTE more. People watch TVs way too frickin' bright most of the time.

For my main viewing room, I personally would want the G10 if it came down to these 2 TVs, for the better picture. For the bedroom, price probably is going to weigh more heavily and I'd step down.

edit:
I could add that my uncle got a 42" 1080, probably 70U series, awhile back. Paid over $1100 back then, and we thought it was a steal. I put it into Cinema or whatever mode looked best and was very impressed, no calibration.

Superman07 11-18-09 07:57 PM

Amazon now has the 42" X1 720p for $640. http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIER.../ref=pd_cp_e_1

Sdallnct 11-18-09 09:09 PM

Your not going to go wrong with ANY Panny Plasma.

Personally if your sitting, oh say 8' or more away, I'd grab a deal on the 720p 50" plasma. Or if you really feel that is to big (which it isn't), then grab a deal on the 720p 42".

I have nothing against 1080p. But I just wouldn't pay extra for it on such small sets as you are looking at, unless like Spiky you are sitting 3' from the set.

JLB 11-19-09 10:44 AM

I'm buying the 32" Sony Bravia LCD which will be at various retailers on BF for $379 for my bedroom. Nothing Super fancy but should be solid. I don't even want to touch the Westinghouse one for $249. YGWYPF with those......

dolphinboy 11-19-09 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky (Post 9843256)
Well, I haven't sat down and compared the two models you are considering. Probably most of us haven't, and you are asking very specific questions. But here's some basic concepts.

1080 is going to help more if you are closer to the TV. But it can cost an inflated amount more, and budget is always a concern. In my bedroom, I end up sitting anywhere from 3-9' away. 1080 would have been nice as I can see pixels at 3'. But we didn't feel like paying $100 more for our 32", so we went with a 720 model, we were already $100 higher for a quality brand. I don't sit that close that much, anyway.

24p is really not THAT special, and only matters at all for true 24p sources. This is one of those things that people went ape-shit over, just like 1080p, for no real reason, and mostly from seeing specs online. Like: "OMFG, you can't buy that, it's NOT 24P!!!" I'm guessing the bedroom is more of a TV-channel place than Bluray, so how much actual 24p would you watch? I'd recommend actually looking at TVs in this mode during shopping, or not worrying about it too much.

"Modes" like THX or 48Hz are typically gimmicky. I'm not sure what the purpose of 48Hz is for TV viewing. Double 24p? Ok, yeah, I can multiply by 2, too....don't see what that has to do with watching a TV. THX on the G10 is really just a video setting. Probably has Vivid, THX, Standard, Game, etc. The lower end Panny probably has a Cinema setting that is similar to the THX, my Panny LCD does. Any of these can (and should) be tweaked. No doubt finding the service menu would help someone who really wanted to calibrate any TV.

Interesting note, cnet claims that the THX mode on the G10 lowers the lumen output too much. But then they say it was 28 ft-L, which is higher than it should be. They want it to be 40 ft-L, when THX and SMPTE agree that 16 ft-L is proper. I'm probably going to trust THX and SMPTE more. People watch TVs way too frickin' bright most of the time.

For my main viewing room, I personally would want the G10 if it came down to these 2 TVs, for the better picture. For the bedroom, price probably is going to weigh more heavily and I'd step down.

edit:
I could add that my uncle got a 42" 1080, probably 70U series, awhile back. Paid over $1100 back then, and we thought it was a steal. I put it into Cinema or whatever mode looked best and was very impressed, no calibration.

You see, you seem to know a lot and yet even some of this is still confusing to the average person who doesn't know the technical stuff other than from reading hundreds of conflicting reviews.

I guess the 24p and the issue of the S1 and the G10 and "maybe" if LCD should be considered were the main issues along with price. I also think we're going to pay the extra money for 1080p. The pefect situation would be if Panny made a 40 inch plasma, because that's really the best size for the room, but they don't. We looked at the Sony Bravia for only $699 but we both just didn't like the look of the LCD compared to the plasmas.

I think it get's even more confusing because people will write, "everything was fine until trying to watch a bd in the cinema mode at 24p and there were all kinds of problems with the picture." That where you start thinking, "hmm, is plasma right or is an LCD better?"

But I do appreciate this kind of help and the posts that came after. I never intended to ask anyone to guarantee a sale, but I thought people in this forum would be better at educated guessed, especially since the Panny 42" entry level 1080p did go on sale big time last year.

And I didn't post to just get people to make a decision for me. I did read all the reviews and spent time listening to the CNET review. From what they said, the G10 is better simply based on the THX mode. They really seemed to think that made a big difference.

But getting feedback helps and your reply about bedroom vs. living room is quite helpful. Yes, I think you're right, if this was going to be our primary home theater tv, the G10 or better would be the best choice. But since it seems even the S1 seems to be well liked and well reviewed, it probably is better to take the less expensive one that's still pretty good.

I've heard the S1 will be $650 at Sears as a doorbuster price. I'm simply not going to go out on Black Friday for something that I'll have to fight over or possibly not get. So if any online source that doesn't charge tax, anything under the $700 would be just as good as that price plus tax and having to wait early in the morning or all night in line with crazy people.

The only other issue I brought up was the speakers. Some people don't seem to mind them and some don't like them. I guess the point down, beneath the tv. Now, if you're getting the TV with a home theater set up, this isn't going to matter. But this will not be getting that. I can only hope that the sound is reasonable enough to enjoy movies and tv without things sounding mumbled from the sound bouncing off the table and then coming out towards the ears. I was hoping someone else might have a model with the speakers that face down and who used it in the bedroom or who used it anywhere without a home theater set up to get their feedback.

But, really, thank you very much for your feedback and for the posters that came after you. I was very close to a decision and really just wanted to get some final things settled. Not sure they all are, but will go with the S1 if Amazon puts in on sale or if they surprise me and don't, I might look at the market place sellers. It's $797 now. I'm mean, I'm looking to save $100-$150 on the price. Best Buy is selling a very well rate Samsung plamsa for $850, I believe, and it's full 1080p and 50 inches. It's too big for the bedroom and too small for the living, but that's an amazing price imho. And other than the Pannys, which most people consider the best, I've heard this is a very good plasma.

Again, thank you.

Spiky 11-19-09 10:29 PM

To be honest, I haven't even figured out where my speakers are or are pointing on the new 32" Panny. They are not obvious but seem to work ok. Again, I have a serious place for real watching/listening, so I'm just not that motivated to worry about details much. And this was an upgrade to a dying tube bought in ~1988, so it seems just fine in comparison.

Sdallnct 11-19-09 11:50 PM

This is a pretty good deal, but with careful looking you should be able to get it closer to $550....

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIER...8696087&sr=8-3

dolphinboy 11-20-09 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct (Post 9845766)
This is a pretty good deal, but with careful looking you should be able to get it closer to $550....

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIER...8696087&sr=8-3

Thanks, but we want to upgrade both tvs, bedroom first with 1080p.

MAYBE if we lose out again on the S1 1080p for under $700, which is what we're hoping to see during this holiday, we'll have no choice but to consider it.

With such light use in the bedroom and even if it goes up a little once we have an HDTV in there, we still figure it could easily be the last tv we buy for a very, very long time for that room. So we'd prefer to get the 1080p even if on a 42 inch the difference is very small.

dolphinboy 11-27-09 11:36 PM

Got the 42" S1 from Sears for $650. Tax put it at $702 and then I got $51 in cash for $651 total.

I'm excited to have our first plasma. Sears let us do in store pick-up and they just send an e-mail that they expect it to be ready on Dec 2nd. Which is kind of good, because it gives me time to look up some stuff on the settings and if I really have to do something special for the first 100 hours or if that's not needed any longer.

We also needed a stand and a blu ray player and won't be able to order another HD cable box until Monday, so everything should work out well.

For this price, I think this will make a great bedroom tv. It will be strange not having a square one any longer. We're putting it in the guest room, but we rarely have guests.

We got the plasma, the blu-ray player, and the plasma stand all for about $950.

Thanks to those who helped with feedback and suggestions.