Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Should I buy an Onkyo TX-DS575?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Should I buy an Onkyo TX-DS575?

Old 07-13-00, 07:38 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay...I was originally going to buy a Toshiba SD6109c DVD Player/Reciever...but I have decided that I would rather keep my current DVD Player (SD2109) and buy a nice reciever. Still...I only have about 300. I think that I should buy the Onkyo TX-DS575 ...soundcity has referbished ones for 300 and free shipping! Would this be a good buy?
PS Does it have Digital Coax in?

------------------
[email protected]
Old 07-13-00, 08:30 PM

Go for it! I got mine from sound city shipped to my door in 2 days from my online order. The machine was perfect and I love the way it works with my toshiba 3109. It has 2 coax and one optical digital connection. I use the coax one with my DVD and it sounds awesome. Also, like you have heard before, for 70 watts this thing rocks.....very under-rated. The only other good buy I see is at onecall....they have sony DB830 for 319.......

Let us know what u decide
Old 07-13-00, 09:22 PM

Is it the 575X or just the 575? The 575X is worth it, especially at $300, but the retail on it is $500. The 575 may or may not be worth it. You can get the 484 brand new for $300 and it offers the same as the 575. The 484 also has two coax dig and one optical. Lot's of preouts and so on...no S-video though, but neither does the 575. Only the 575X has the S-video. You're call.

------------------
My Site
Old 07-13-00, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

much better to get the receiver than the player with the receiver built in. You will get much more for your money...
Old 07-14-00, 12:15 AM

Okay..my budget is a little bigger now...what would you recommend for a max of 450...?

------------------
[email protected]
Old 07-14-00, 12:21 AM

For around US$450 or a bit less, I would recommend the Sony DB940. A recent thread at HTF had mentioned that Sound City was selling the DB940 for US$425 or so. For other dealers, you probably could have oade.com or One Call match it.

------------------
Dave

My DVD collection: www.dvdtracker.com/~yeed
Old 07-14-00, 12:43 AM

What do you think about the DB930...I could get it for 400 @ onecall...would it be worth it, or should I stick w/the 830?

------------------
[email protected]
Old 07-14-00, 05:25 AM

Based on my audition, I have been very impressed with the sound quality of the Sony DB930. But, for a few extra bucks, I would still go for the latest and greatest DB model available, the 940. Also, it looks a lot like the top of the line 777ES (777ES is the model that I have).

For detailed reviews and differences between the 830, 930, 840 and 940 models, I would suggest that you look at the product reviews at www.audioreview.com . Some of the product reviews have some interesting comments about the differences between the x30 and x40 models.

------------------
Dave

My DVD collection: www.dvdtracker.com/~yeed

[This message has been edited by DavidY (edited July 14, 2000).]
Old 07-14-00, 06:37 AM

Okay...after a lot of thinking I think that I want to go with the DB840. It seems to have the features that I want...I like the 940 too, but the 840 is basically the same only it doesn't have Multi-Room support, more s-vid switching...etc, which I don't need. Should I go for the 840?

------------------
[email protected]
Old 07-14-00, 10:24 AM
AW

I bought a refurb 575 (not the 575x) from Sound City as a gift and was impressed by it -- you can't go wrong. It is a much better receiver than the 6109C (which an Onkyo receiver with a Toshiba DVD). Other simlarly priced receivers at Sound City are the Sony DB845 and Pioneer Elite VSX21.

Also -- Harmon Kardon AVR35 (259 -- no DTS)
Kenwood VR1080 (269 -- no DTS)
Kenwood VR2090 (399)

THey also have refurb Onkyo 676's and 777's

At Sound City call Joe at 1800-370-3156 Ext. 708.
Old 07-14-00, 10:54 AM

I'm not getting it...I am going to get a Sony model...probably the DB840...what do you guys think.

------------------
[email protected]
Old 07-14-00, 12:12 PM

Onkyo is much better than a sony unit of that model number.....just ask anyone that knows anything about electronics....and check the specs. In addition.....let your ears do the testing. Listen to both before you buy one. Sony does have a lot of bells and whistles that you probably wont use much, but for clarity, dynamic range, and performance, the onkyo is the way to go............

Old 07-14-00, 01:11 PM
AW

I chose the 575 over a Sony 845 when I bought my dad a father's day gift. I would have bought the Pioneer VSX21 if it had a phono input, which was a requirement. I personally think the 575 is a great receiver for the price.

I do not care much for Sony receivers (other than the ES line) and generally prefer Yamaha or Dennon revceivers. This is not a knock on Sony, whose products I generally like (I have lots of Sony products including a 9ES CD player, a DVP-S3000 DVD player, a SLV980HF VCR, a DAV-S300 DVD/Receiver and a KP53XBR45 RPTV). It is just this stuff is all subjective.

I would suggest that you use the recommendations on this board only to compile a list of receivers you might be interested in and then go listen to them in A/B comparisons using speakers similar or the same as those you intend on using, and listening to music and movies that you are familiar with. You also might talk to your salesperson about other possible receivers in your price range and listen to those as well. Ultimately, you should buy the receiver that sounds the best to you and offers you the features you need (or want), not what someone tells you to buy or based on the brand you think will be the best or because of a bunch of features that you may never use. You may even want to consider buying from the B&M store that spends time with you if its prices are relatively close.
Old 07-14-00, 07:17 PM

I did listen to them, and that is why I have decided to go w/the Sony DB840. The Onkyo is too unreliable for me to want to risk it, to many of them hiss...and I don't want to deal with that.

------------------
[email protected]
Old 07-15-00, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I decided that I would begin to build by home theater. I was planning to listen to the Onkyo575 and the Sony DB840, the Klipsch Quintets and the Energy Take 5's. I dont have a lot of room so i figured that these smaller packages would better suit me. My only major question is-- what about a sub? Can someone recommend a nice "bang for your buck" sub or a better setup for comparable prices? Thanks.
Old 07-15-00, 03:26 PM

My 575 from sound city does not hiss at all. Did you read about the overheating problems that sony has? Those units run VERY hot.....especially if it is in a cabinet..you can risk overheating it.
Old 07-15-00, 05:05 PM

I haven't heard about the 840/940 having heating problems, I heard about the 830/930 though. With the 575 it is a crapshoot whether or not you are going to get hissing, and I just didn't want to take that chance, especially with a referb. You seem mad that I bought the Sony...why? I listened to both and bought the reciever that I though sounded better. Also, the Sony came w/a 2 year warrantee rather than the Onkyos 1 year warrantee. So far in my life, everything I have bought used or referbished has broken on me w/in a month...I don't want to buy someone elses problems.

------------------
[email protected]
Old 07-15-00, 06:40 PM
Topgun94

I originally bought a Sony ES 300 and it was the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned. The receiver had a delay while it figured out what the DVD was playing, DD or DTS and several times it locked up when unpausing a DVD. It had the worst remote ever made and overall was a joke. I returned it and got an Onkyo 676 and I have been thrilled with it. No delay when starting a DVD. The receiver switches to DD or DTS instantly. The sound quality is also superior to the Sony. It has an awesome learning remote. I recommend Onyko for anyone buying a home theater receiver.

------------------
Aaron
"I'd give my right hand to be ambidextrous"
DVD Laserdisc Videogames
Old 07-15-00, 09:55 PM

I just got my 575X from onecall.com and love it. I got it for $375 + $15 FedEx 2-day shipping. Just had to talk to someone to get the price down The are one of the few online "authorized" distributors and also pricematch. to others.

------------------
Old 07-15-00, 10:01 PM

Yah...after I decided not go to w/the 575, it was down to the 575x and the Sony DB840...I went w/the Sony because it sounded better to me.

------------------
[email protected]