Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Best place online to get audio wires/cables?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Best place online to get audio wires/cables?

Old 07-08-00, 12:21 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm planning on getting the Kenwood HTB-503. I was looking at it yesterday, and after looking at the speakers and bannana plugs, I'm not sure they'd fit in the clamps. Is it just an illusion or should I get the pins?

------------------
DVD-ROM Forum Moderator
> [email protected] < - > MyList <
> DVD-ROM FAQ < - > MyWebSite<
Old 07-08-00, 02:42 PM
Cool New Member

Jason, looking at http://www.kenwoodusa.com/cat.htm I see that it states that the speakers are banana plug compatible, which means they have binding posts to which you can either screw down bare wire or plug in speaker cable terminated with banana plugs. I would assume that this would imply that the receiver has binding posts also.

Stoney, the term 'interconnects' generally means that cable which connects a separate source (CD player for example) to your amp. Speaker cable used with 'spring clips' really can only be used stripped, as this type of amp output connection has no scope for anything other than what I understand by the 'pins' you have in the US. If you have spring clips on the back of your equipment, it is probably best to stick with stripped cable, as this is what they where designed for and the benefits of using anything else would be minimal.

The sound can only be as good as the source provides.

------------------
Click here for a great new forum on HIFI and
Home Automation.
Old 07-09-00, 09:20 PM
Mod Emeritus

Does anybody know how long it takes to get stuff from Recoton Direct and AVconnect? I'm getting my Kenwood on Friday (7/14) and would like to have all the other stuff I've ordered by then. I got my speaker wire from Recton (ordered 7/5 - instock) and some audio cables from AVconnect (ordered 7/7 - 2day shipping).

------------------
DVD-ROM Forum Moderator
Old 07-10-00, 10:31 AM
Cool New Member

recotondirect took a bit less than a week

regarding connectors, the bare wire attachement to speakers is probably the poorest, then pins (not that much better, then plugs, then spades (they look like the letter "C"). If your speakers don't accept banana plugs, terminate the wires with spades and tighent them down as much as you can.
Old 07-10-00, 02:01 PM
Mod Emeritus

quote:<HR>Originally posted by notjafo:
recotondirect took a bit less than a week

<HR>

I'm getting a little nervous because I haven't recieved any emails from them yet. It's a good thing I saved the final page so I have my order number. I guess I'll try calling them when I get home tonight if it isn't too late.

------------------
DVD-ROM Forum Moderator
Old 07-10-00, 02:59 PM
Cool New Member

try the website first - they often have a person on-line to handle questions immediately, and I checked on an orer that ay once. The switchboard and wait for customer service can be very long.
Old 07-10-00, 03:00 PM
Cool New Member

Bare wire could provide the best contact with spring clips, since with pins the area of contact could be less. Again, the differences on a piece of equipment with spring clips provided may be minimal.

------------------
Click here for a great new forum on HIFI and
Home Automation.
Old 07-10-00, 03:46 PM

Out of curiousity, has anyone here tried a DIY speaker wire project? I know it's more for the audiophiles among us may/may not make a difference for HT, but I thought I'd at least pose the question.

In particular, I'd like to hear comments about silver wires. I saw some easy DIY 16 gauge wires but am also considering a 20awg.

:-)
Old 07-10-00, 05:01 PM
Cool New Member

I wouldn't go smaller than 14AWG if you don't need to
Old 07-10-00, 08:29 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

For me I have to go 16 on the backs, which is bad, but it is because I need flat wire, and the only flat that I could find was 16 gauge. But oh well.

------------------
[email protected]
Old 07-11-00, 03:33 AM

what should i use, i have bannana connectors on my receiver and spring clamps on my speakers. do i need to terminate my wires?
Old 07-11-00, 10:41 AM
Cool New Member

Jason
the holes for the banana plugs on your speakers may have a plastic or rubber cover over them you have to pull off (do you have a hole in the middle of the posts or a plastic plug?)
Old 07-13-00, 06:31 AM
Cool New Member

It is personal choice regarding termination. Some people think that bare wire on binding posts is better than using terminals, simply because the terminal just adds to the resistance of the circuit and can be eliminated.

When you think about it like that though, the cable attaches (most probably) to a crossover, which consists of a bit roll of copper wire anyway !

If you want to use banana plugs, use 'em !

------------------
Win.