Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Where do you put your speakers

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Where do you put your speakers

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-00, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the front speaker, how far do each of you put it from the tv. Due to space limitations, mine has always been very close to the tv. Does anyone think that moving them farther apart makes any difference, giving the sound a wider feel?
Old 07-10-00, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Up to a point, having them further apart will definitely give you a better soundstage. A good rule of thumb is that they should be at least as far apart as the distance from them to your listening position.

Put them too far apart, and you'll notice (especially on movies) gaps in the sound as things pan across the screen.

Of course, they should always be far enough from your screen to avoid magnetic interference problems (unless your speakers are shielded).

My mains are pretty close to symmetrically placed, about 3.5' from the edge of the screen on each side. (My center is on top of the TV).

Old 07-10-00, 07:33 PM

When you say as far apart as the distance from them to your listening position is that between the two speakers or is that between the speakers and the tv?
Old 07-10-00, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
If you can't move your speakers very far out, here is a tip that will give you a wider sound field (if it is practical, that is). Lay your speakers on their sides, with the tweaters to the outside. In other words, your right speaker should have the tweater on the right side, and the left on the left. Tweaters give direction to sound, so this gives a wider sound field. Course, if you have huge tower speakers, you prolly can't do this...
Old 07-10-00, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by doroshjt:
When you say as far apart as the distance from them to your listening position is that between the two speakers or is that between the speakers and the tv?<HR>

The distance between the two speakers.
HTH!
Old 07-11-00, 12:00 AM

When me watching me movie, me like to putty me fronty speakies upsie down hanging by a ropy on me ceiling. And me putty my surrounds against me left and right ears, then me sit bare butt naked on top of me pouwored soupwoofoer .
Old 07-11-00, 12:39 AM

I don't get it..
Old 07-13-00, 03:02 AM

Normal folks (ones who put wives/husbands, kids, and practicality ahead of A/V performance) tend to place their speakers beside their tvs. But the problem with that is that speakers sound best when they're away from the back wall and most people put their tvs against the wall. I set my mains where they sound best in stereo - drivers about 5ft from rear wall and 7-8ft apart. The center channel ends up about 2 ft from the back wall. Calibrate levels and adjust for center delay (if 3 ft makes a difference to you) and it will sound awesome.