DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   DVD Player Turning Itself Off (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/563823-dvd-player-turning-itself-off.html)

SethDLH 10-27-09 12:57 PM

DVD Player Turning Itself Off

Twice already today my DVD player has turned itself off for no reason, then is slow to react to turning it back on. Its a rather cheap Philips from Wal-Mart unlocked to be region free. Anyone have an idea to what it can be doing?

Edit- make it 3 times.

Brian Shannon 10-27-09 02:21 PM

Re: DVD Player Turning Itself Off

If it does not have a timer with a sleep feature it sounds like it is either defective or it is a heat buildup issue. Either way you might want to return it if possible or trash it before something bad happens.

SethDLH 10-27-09 02:35 PM

I'm pretty sure it is a heat issue, so i'm going to look into it. Thanks for the reply

Spiky 10-27-09 06:18 PM

Maybe it's protecting you from bad movies. What were you trying to play?

ElementZ 10-27-09 09:04 PM

Double feature of Gigli and Showgirls. :)

SethDLH 10-27-09 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky (Post 9800402)
Maybe it's protecting you from bad movies. What were you trying to play?

Return of the Living Dead 2, Phantasm

Spiky 10-28-09 12:38 AM

Hmm....proof for my theory is accruing at an alarming rate.

story 10-28-09 02:12 AM

Sounds like you've got Paranormal Activity.

jonnyquest 10-28-09 02:17 PM

Is this a change from how it originally behaved?
I have a Philips DVP5990, and it is slow to "boot up" compared to other brands I have owned. 10-ish seconds is normal. Also it has sleep feature and auto-standby feature if left idle for too long. These features can be tweaked or disabled using the setup menu.

SethDLH 10-28-09 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky (Post 9800858)
Hmm....proof for my theory is accruing at an alarming rate.

Phantasm is great, your theory is wrong

Originally Posted by jonnyquest (Post 9801845)
Is this a change from how it originally behaved?
I have a Philips DVP5990, and it is slow to "boot up" compared to other brands I have owned. 10-ish seconds is normal. Also it has sleep feature and auto-standby feature if left idle for too long. These features can be tweaked or disabled using the setup menu.

Yes. While it was slow to boot up normally, it simply doesn't respond to being turned on/opening the tray for a couple of minutes after powering itself off.

ElementZ 10-28-09 03:37 PM

I'm a big fan of ROTLD 2 myself. Still pop it in the movie box every now and then for some laughs.

OldBoy 10-28-09 05:03 PM

i have a Phillips 727 set to region free and it automatically shuts itself off after 15 minutes as a power save feature that you can't turn off, but never had the other problems after it turns off.

SethDLH 10-28-09 05:31 PM

Yea, this one has shut itself off after 15 minutes on pause or stop but never in the middle of playing, and would boot up normally when I was ready to return to watching.

This one (philips 3962) just had its last strike earlier today, as I was trying to play a disc and it froze playing twice in the first 3 minutes then turned itself off and took forever to respond. I'll just have to deal with not watching my other region stuff for a month or so

jonnyquest 10-28-09 05:40 PM

If it's not eligible for warranty return or WalMart return/replace then you just have to experiment. Try leaving it unplugged for a long time, like overnight, to force a hard reset. You could also try updating the firmware; check out Philips website to see if they have something for your model. (Click on 'software and drivers' once you get to your model number page.) If neither works, it's a hardware problem which likely isn't worth the cost of having diagnosed.

SethDLH 10-28-09 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by jonnyquest (Post 9802247)
If it's not eligible for warranty return or WalMart return/replace then you just have to experiment. Try leaving it unplugged for a long time, like overnight, to force a hard reset. You could also try updating the firmware; check out Philips website to see if they have something for your model. (Click on 'software and drivers' once you get to your model number page. If neither works, it's a hardware problem which likely isn't worth the cost of having diagnosed.

Thanks, its worth a shot to try a firmware update. Its definitely not worth doing anything that would cost money since it was under $40 new and I'll be replacing it with an all region BD player shortly.